Author Topic: Can Anyone Identify This Cannon?  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Can Anyone Identify This Cannon?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2005, 05:00:57 PM »
Hey Kap, nice job on the settup! Could you elaborate on the drilling? Is the bit held in a boring bar holder in the toolpost? What type of drill bits do you use? Are they homemade or store bought? Thanks, Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Mule Brain

• Trade Count: (0)
Can Anyone Identify This Cannon?
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2005, 04:38:09 AM »
I just got off the phone with the guy who built the barrel! Good News! The barrel is constructed of either 1018, or 1020 steel. The trunnions are pressed in, and tack welded. The guy is a machinist and built it in 1985. The no wad, no ball and 50gr powder info on top is strictly put their for liability reasons. This cannon is one of a kind, it is the only one of this type he built. He has since moved on to large artillery pieces. This cannon is capable of full charges up to the muzzle! A reccomended charge for this is a 1" square load of BP. This guy is very experienced, and has been building and shooting for over 30years!

It is about time to drill the vent