Author Topic: New baby, USG deluxe  (Read 499 times)

Offline Paul Mohr

• Trade Count: (0)
New baby, USG deluxe
« on: August 15, 2005, 08:43:44 AM »
Well I just joined after checking the site out some. I usually hang out at a few Archery sites like Eders and Hunting.net. This place looks nice, a TON of different forum subjects.

Well I got tired of messing around with my remington 700 ML this year. I was in a local gun store and a saw a used 12 gauge Ultra Slug Deluxe sitting in the rack for $219 bucks. I asked the guys in the shop what their impression of them was and they said "Impressive!". I checked around on the internet and was impressed with what people had to say about them.

I went back the next day with some stuff to trade in and left with the USG, a bushnell Trophy 1.75-4x32, some mounts, a leather sling and few boxes of ammo. They did me pretty good on my trade ins and I never had to open my check book. About 430 bucks with everything out the door.

Here are some pics:

The pretty version

The tactical version

The business end. I don't think I would want to be on this end of it.

So far I have only shot 10 rounds of lightfields thru it. It didn't seem to like them much. They shot OK at 50 yards but opened up at 100 yards. I sighted in at the suggested 2 inches high at 50 yards. When I moved back to 100 yards I got a 4-5 inch group and they were all high. I don't consider that impressive really. I'm looking for at least 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards.  

I'm going to do some searching, but off hand what do you guys seem to like out of these rifles. Do they like the slower stuff, or the expensive high velocity stuff? With a 1:35 twist rate the 1900 fps stuff seems like it would be a bit fast? On another board someone suggested I use regular slugs because they shoot great out his. I think he said brenike's. Should I try some regular non saboted slugs to see what happens? I certainly like the prices the better. I just don't know what cleaning the barrel would be like. I sort of like the idea of only teflon touching my barrel. I can't believe the ammo for these things is 10 to 18 dollars for five freakin shells! That is a bit crazy. H&R said they just use winchester supreme's.

Well let me know what guys think. Any tips on making it more accurate would be greatly appreciated as well.

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
New baby, USG deluxe
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 02:07:02 AM »
I've taken my new 12 ga USH to the range twice now.  I have only had the opportunity to sight in at 50 yds.

I have been very impressed with the Federal Barnes Expanders (P150XS, 1450 fps).

Very tight, consistent patterns compared to the Lighfields with considerably less recoil.
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline Paul Mohr

New baby, USG deluxe
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 03:48:50 PM »
Wow, only one response. Well incase anyone is interested I tried some Winchester platinum tips today and they were much better. I got around a 1 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards. Shot 7 inches higher than the lightfields did though. I adjusted the scope and the last two rounds went in the top part of the 2 inch circle I was shooting at.

Works for me! I might try some others as well just to see what happens. I bought some cheaper rifled slugs as well, but didn't shoot them I shot the premium shells first since my barrel was clean already. I may shoot them just to get rid of them and see how they do.

The winchester platinum tips did have more recoil than the lightfields too. 400 grn saboted hollow point (looks like an XTP or Barnes) at 1700 fps. This actually beats my ML that shoot around 1600 fps with a 350 grn bullet. Man have slug guns come a long way or what.

Does anyone know exactly what bullet they use in these shells? I want to figure out what the BC is for a ballistics calculator.

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
New baby, USG deluxe
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 04:07:10 PM »
Welcome :D
paul if you do shoot those forster style riffled slugs I belive you will really lead up the bore & it will be a job to kleen. This is not 1st had just what I here but it makes sense to me. it is purty
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
New baby, USG deluxe
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 04:26:52 PM »
First off, welcome to the board.Don't bother shooting the cheap slugs, they will lead your barrel and make it a real bear to clean. Probably one of the reasons your post didn't get a lot of replies is that these same questions have been asked and answered a lot of times. Depending on which breneke your buddy is talking about it may not be leading his barrel. The cheap ones will group ok for a while but once it gets really leaded they will be all over the place. If you want to shoot cheap slugs pick up an old topper or pardner and blast away. I shoot them for the fun of it a lot. Rifled slug barrels don't really do much for the accuracy of the foster style slug. I've been using the 2 3/4" federal premiums with the barnes expander bullets and the last 5 deer I have shot have fallen over dead on the spot.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Paul Mohr

New baby, USG deluxe
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 04:30:54 AM »
Wasnt' really a buddy per say, just someone on another board that said his liked those kind of shells. I shot a couple cheap Sellier and bellot's I had that someone gave me for my mossberg. The two I shot seemed to shoot pretty well, they both went in the bullseye at 100 yards. Real lack of power though.

It did make a mess in my barrel, but it cleaned up fairly easy, messy, but easy. If I can't find anyone that wants the rifled shells I may shoot them just for the heck of it to see what happens. My girlfriends six year old likes to watch me blow stuff up. I don't think it will hurt anything, I'll just have to spend some extra time cleaning. I traded my smoothbore in on this or I would keep them for that. The sabbots are nicer for sure, even if they are more than twice as much. I like them out of my muzzle loader as well.

Can I assume any tips for the handy rifles would also apply to the slug guns? As far accuracy and the such. Also what are these rifles like to get different barrels for, can I get a turkey barrel for it? That would keep me from having to ge another shot gun before this spring for turkey season. From the way I understand it I can swap shotgun barrels, but not rifle barrels, is this correct?

Thanks for the replies.

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
New baby, USG deluxe
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 06:18:11 AM »
I believe the 12ga ultra slug is on a 10 ga frame so all you can do is get the 10 ga barrels check H&R's web sight http://www.hr1871.com/barrelAcc/index.htm
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!