Author Topic: What do you like Stihl, Husqvarna or ??? chainsaws?  (Read 10475 times)

Offline NYH1

• Trade Count: (0)
What do you like Stihl, Husqvarna or ??? chainsaws?
« on: September 06, 2005, 11:39:40 AM »
The first chainsaw I bought was a Stihl 021 (16" bar), that was back in '99. I didn't know to much about chainsaws at the time other then Stihl and Husqvarna were suppose to be at the top of the heap as far a performance and quality went, again that is what I heard. The next year (2000) I bought another chainsaw, a Stihl 029 Farm Boss (20" bar). Now here is 2005 and I think I might buy another chainsaw. I really like the Stihl MS 260 PRO, I'll probably go with a 16" bar on this one as well.

I want something with more power then my 021 (2.0 HP) but not to much more weight (just under 10 lbs.). The MS 260 PRO saw makes 3.2 HP and only weighs 10.6 lbs. I can't seem to be able to get onto Husqvarna's web site right now but I think the saw they have that is comparable to the MS 260 PRO is the Husqvarna 346XP. I don't think I've ever seen this saw so I have no idea what it feels like. I have compared some Stihl and Husqvarna chainsaws side by side in the past and I alway preferred the way the Stihl's felt over the Husqvarna's, that about the only reason I have for buying Stihl's instead of Husqvarna's.

It seems like Husqvarna is getting away from selling through "servicing dealers" and has started selling through "chain stores" and "catalog order" companies. I hope they don't end up like Homelite and the other brands of simular price and quality!

What brand of chainsaws do you like better Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered or what ever brand and why?
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline clodbuster

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
saws
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 12:01:58 PM »
Stihl has so many good features its hard to know where to start.  I don't think Husky is in the same league.  No saw I know of has so much in one saw.  I have an 066 with a 30' and 20' bars.  I has so much power there is no rest when you are bucking wood with it.  I guess that's a bad feature.  With a sharp chain it slices through 20" logs.  It has started every time I've pulled it.  I use the 30" bar to rip slabs for gunstocks.  It will cover your feet with sawdust in just a minute!  No I'm not a Stihl  dealer just a very happy user.  I won't buy another brand.
Preserve the Loess Hills!!!

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
What do you like Stihl, Husqvarna or ??? ch
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 12:21:38 PM »
The last saw I bought was a Stihl. The next one will be a Husky. Most of the professional loggers use Husky's at least around here. I'd really rather have my old Poulan than the Stihl I now have. It sure doesn't live up to the reputation.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 01:43:15 PM »
Quote from: Graybeard
The last saw I bought was a Stihl. The next one will be a Husky. Most of the professional loggers use Husky's at least around here. I'd really rather have my old Poulan than the Stihl I now have. It sure doesn't live up to the reputation.

Out west when I was cutting shakebolts every one used Stihl with 3 foot bars. That was in 75/76 so not sure what they use out there now but I would bet it would be Stihl unless they have deteriated from what they used to be. It makes a difference who sells them in your area and who fixes them too.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 01:44:41 PM »
I love them both....but most professional loggers use Huskys....albeit there are quite a few stihls out there too.

SAW
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline Jeffery8mm

• Trade Count: (59)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 03:46:36 PM »
Stihl, Of course.  They are the BEST saw for the features and benefits that you get. With the selection in the Stihl line up, there is something for everyone.  From the tiny MS170 to the HUGE MS880 Magnum.
The MS290Farm Boss is a Great value.

NY Hunter, TheMS260Pro is a really good saw.  Very fast in the cut. The pro is different from the MS260 in that the pro has the deco valve and a diffferent air filter.  Other than that they are the same. If I can help you in your decision call me at my place of business. 601 683 3312

My wife and I own Yardworks Outdoor Power Equipment in Newton Ms.
We are the local Stihl dealer.
Go to www.stihlusa.com and the dealer search.  
Zip is 39345
Jeff
With proper care and maintenance the human body will last a lifetime! :)

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 04:20:24 PM »
My first saw was a Remington heavy as sin. It had strange chain on it huge teeth, it honestly made wood chips instead of saw dust. I heated my home and supported my family cutting firewood with that saw for 2 years.
At 25 bucks a rick delivered it was a tough way to go. I've had 2 Stihls since then now I have a big Craftsman. The Cm is ok does a good job, but I don't believe it will hold up as well as the Stihl under heavy use.
Don't know much about Husky cept they make one helluva sewing machine. Bought one for my wife 16 years ago have not had one problem out of it .  The sewing machine not my wife  :grin:

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline IntrepidWizard

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 04:37:39 PM »
Been using Chain saws for years,and still have some 440 and 220 w saws used in the woods with a generator.I use only Stihl now,T200,Pro 26,44 and a 66,and after factory filters and ALWAYS USE AV GAS and they last longer and cut better,clean and sharpen when finished and especially the filterss must be kept clean,I have been "Harvesting" the dead oak and pines "Harvesting" dead trees is better than falling them according to the new Frisco flatland fools.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 10:10:16 PM »
My first saw was a Remington heavy as sin. It had strange chain on it huge teeth, it honestly made wood chips instead of saw dust.

Every chain saw should make chips when it cuts if it does not than the teeth are either not sharpened right or it is dull.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 02:44:59 AM »
I have found that the Stihl chainsaws serve me best.  I used McColloughs in the service when I was in construction engineering but they always gave us headaches and it was difficult getting the fuel mixture right.  Some years later my brother gave me his Poulan 'cause he was sick and tired of always pullin on it to try and get her started.  I gave that one away.

When I decided to heat my home with wood, some 25 years ago, I took some forestry classes that were necessary to get into the Upstate NY forestry areas to cut firewood.  Their basic premise, other than safety, was that to be safe you should have at least a 3 horsepower chainsaw with a 16 - 20" blade to prevent binding on longer blades and to give you sufficient power to cut through large trees.

So, I got myself a Stihl FarmBoss, the O41 Model.  And I still use it.  I have dropped trees on it, cut through barbed wire and rocks with it, dug out stumps with it and even used it to block my private road when a couple of theives decided to check out my neighbors house.  I forget how many chain bars I have gone through.  But, since I found I could still get that one bound or hung up, I bought a larger one with 4 hp, and that will eat almost anything.

I prefer using the 'chipper chains' with the anti-kickback link, having seen a few guys come into the emergency room minus a ear, fingers, hand or part of their face.  But, Stihl is my saw, thankee.  Mikey.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 05:11:56 AM »
My brother and I were the first Stihl dealers in our area...way back in the late 60s. It sure was fun demonstrating against Homelites, macs, Remingtons, Pioneers etc.
  We would set up a log and let the competition take the small end...with comparable sized saws. We would usually out cut them 2-3 blocks to 1..
   Then we would go to our smaller sized saws and still beat their large model..

Not reall up to date on most new saws. I gave my son my old 040 Stihl, a 1965 model with original bar & chain.

I have been using a Husky # 141 for about 3 years now..and I am very happy with it for use around home and on my recreation land (heavily wooded), it runs well and starts dependably

The man I bought the Husky from, and old acquaintance,whose dad I used to compete with (he had Homelite in those days), said that some of the Huskys are built by Poulan..but they are built to Husky specs.

TRhe heart of any chainsaw engine is the cylinder. Some have chrome plated cylinders...and sooner or later the chrome starts to peel off..kaput !

Some have chrome impregnated cylinders, where pressure drives some chrome into the pores of the aluminum....somewhat better.

The best saws have a thin cast iron liner for cylinders...they are more expensive to produce, but make a much longer lasting engine..

Just my two pennies....
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline NYH1

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 06:25:17 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! :D
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Johnny_Revolver

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 10:37:53 PM »
My old man bought a Partner chainsaw the year I was born, 1963. It has had 2 spark plugs in that time, I beleive my brother has it somewhere and it needs a new diaphram in the carb. It is a 5 atleast or possible 9 i cant remember horse power saw and will walk away if you put it on the ground idling. It sounds like the world is coming to an end, that sweet `real` chain saw sound but loud as hell. I should get it off my brother and get it up and running, wouldnt take much at all..   :grin:

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 12:44:14 AM »
I had a firewood business for many years and i started off using husqvarna's and they are awesome.  Husky's have the highest RPM's so their the fastest cutting and you have to keep the chain razor sharp. The husqvarna pro models aren't cheap but your getting quality like chromed lined cylinders.  Husqvarna, Jonserd's, Partner, Poulan, Pioneer are all owned by Electrolux corp.   I did compete at the local fairs in speed cutting too and i have a lot of 1st place blue ribbons won with the husky's. When i lost I only lost to other guys with husqvarna saws. I never really purchased any parts too besides drive sprockets, bars and chains. I was also told the husky parts cost about 50% less than parts for sthils. I did talk with other loggers who said sthils were good till they were made here. They switched to Husqvarna's.   A husqvarna pro saw should last a homeowner a lifetime.  I always used the husqvarna two stroke oil too thats very important too.  What ever chainsaw you buy use that manufacturers oil and mix it correctly. And use good bar and chain oil too if you use used motor oil you will go thru bars and chains often.  Keep your chain razor sharp if you don't you will need to square your bar often too.

The husqvarna's, Jonserds and Partners are top of the line chainsaws, hey their all swedish made and made in the same building too.

I have seen other loggers blowup husky saws and after taking them apart the chrome lined cylinders are so good they only needed new pistons thats a good thing when the saw costs $1,000 new. You can rely on a husky pro saw when it comes to your bead and butter i have.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 05:43:58 AM »
I would say that was a pretty definative testimonial.  Mikey.

Offline NYH1

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2005, 07:47:28 AM »
Quote from: BigBill
I did talk with other loggers who said sthils were good till they were made here.
I'm not sure about the MS 260, MS 260 PRO and the MS 361 but it is my understanding that all other "Stihl Pro Saws" such as their MS 440 and up are still made in Germany. Jeffery8mm or someone else that's a dealer will know a lot more about this then me! Stihl's guide bars are made in Germany and the saw chains are made in Switzerland.

I think you hit the nail on the head by recommending that the manufactures oil be used and mixed correctly!

Like I said I don't have anything at all against Husky's or any other brand of chainsaw for that matter. I've only compared a few Stihl models to a few Husky models and I always liked the way the Stihl's felt when I was holding them. I have never used a Husky or anything else except my two Stihl's and my fathers old Homelite Super XL 12 (I think). My mother bought it for him back around 1976 or so and that's a good running saw right there, just weighs a ton and doesn't cut as fast as the saws that I'm used too!

Again, thanks for the replies and feel free to keep them coming, thanks guys! :D

Offline Hooker

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2005, 08:10:14 PM »
Quote from: jh45gun
My first saw was a Remington heavy as sin. It had strange chain on it huge teeth, it honestly made wood chips instead of saw dust.

Every chain saw should make chips when it cuts if it does not than the teeth are either not sharpened right or it is dull.

I'm talking big as a thumb nail chips not them iddy bitty things. I've never seen a set of teeth on saw as big since. If you let her get to dull she'd grab and kick. You don't cut blackjacks with a dull saw heck the spark fly when you cut them.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline Haywire Haywood

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2005, 12:45:40 PM »
I've had 4 chainsaws in the last 10 years.  First one was a little bitty Stihl 017 I believe.  It would start on the first pull if it was stone cold, but let it warm up and you'd better not shut it off till you were done doing what you had to do.  I took it to the local Stihl dealer and he told me in confidence that it was the worst POS that Stihl had ever put out and he was embarrassed to have the Stihl logo attached to it.  Normal carbs have 2 or 3 jets to adjust, this one had 1 I believe.  He played around with it but never could get it to run consistently.  That put a bad taste in my mouth for Stihl, altho I have run a friend's 260 Pro since and it was a fine saw.  I then bought a Husky 51, it ran well.  I sold it in tight times. Later I bought a 53, It also never gave me a moment's trouble.  I sold it when I moved overseas for a few years.  I now have a 346XP with 16 and 20 inch bars.  My only complaint about it is that it runs fine if you take it easy and don't load it.  But, if you dig the claws in and push it into a 16-18" log, it bogs down and loses power.  You just can't rush it if you have it in a decent sized piece of wood.  In hindsight, I wish I had bought a 357XP instead.

The only drawback I see to owning a Husky, at least around here, is the fact that Lowes has started carrying them and that has driven all the little dealerships with real service out of business.  I used to be able to go to Johnson's farm supply and get a good aggressive chain made up off a bulk reel and have him give my saw a quick tune while chatting with him in his shop.  He's gone now.  The dolts at Lowes know about as much about chainsaws as I do about brain surgery.  They can point me to the rack of premade chains and that's about it.

Stihl saws are carried at Ace Hardware, and altho they aren't the small local shop, I believe their mechs do go to a school on working on Stihl saws and have the specs and manuals on hand.  Their service level is also head and shoulders above the superstore's.  If I were to buy a saw today, I would be inclined to buy a Stihl on that point alone.  Service is King in my book.

I do have a question concerning two stroke oils.  Are outboard motor oils made to a higher standard than chainsaw oil?  I know that you aren't supposed to run standard 2 stroke mix in an outboard, but can you run outboard mix in a chainsaw?  My Evinrude, my chainsaw and my weedeater all run on 50:1 mix and I was wondering if I could cut one gas can out of the lineup and run outboard mix in all of it.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Jeffery8mm

• Trade Count: (59)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2005, 05:15:43 PM »
If the 9 digit serial number on a Stihl begins with a 1, then it is a German made saw.  Serial numbers begining with a 2, are produce at the Virginia Beach facility.
Jeff
With proper care and maintenance the human body will last a lifetime! :)

Offline NYH1

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2005, 06:38:12 PM »
Haywire Haywood, I've never even changed the spark plugs in either of my Stihl's in the five and six years that I've owned them. Having said that I must also say that I only cut about five "face cords" of firewood a year. When I'm done cutting, I run the gasoline out of them, loosen the chains (deal recommended loosen the chain :grin:) and put them away. Service is extremely important to me too! My friend use to work at a Jeep dealership before he opened his own repair shop. He use to tell me all the time that "price sells the first vehicle......service sell the second vehicle". I believe this is true with a lot more then just vehicles! I have no idea about your "oil" question, sorry!  :-)

Jeffery8mm, thanks for the information! :grin:

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2005, 10:41:10 AM »
Out of curiousity, are Stihls and Husqvarnas "fair trade" items (or is that the correct term?), like Maytag washer and dryers? Maytag sets the price for their washers n dryers.....  I see Stihl has their smalles saw on sale for $160, and it appears its a corporate thing.  Do the people who carry these ever put them on sale, or is it strictly a "the maker sets the price" kind of thing?  I need a saw badly, for farm use, firewood cutting, etc., never owned a saw, but thinking a mid-sized one from either maker might be the way to go.  Local Stihl shop has the Farm Boss MS290 w/20" blade for $350, but I have no idea if thats a good price or not.

Any thoughts? Wait or just get it?

Thanks,

RR

Offline NYH1

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2005, 05:47:33 PM »
Rogue Ram, I don't know if its the dealer or Stihl that puts the saws on sale, but I have seen them on sale at a few dealers.

I have a Stihl 029 Farm Boss with a 20 inch bar. Its the same saw as the MS 290, Stihl changed their model numbers after I bought mine. I can tell you that its an outstanding saw. It has more then enough power.......but its also kind of heavy! You might want to take a look at the MS 270 C or the MS 280. They have a little less power ( the MS 280 has almost the same power) but they both weigh about a pound and a half or so less then the MS 290 Farm Boss. After a while a pound or so can make a big difference. I think I paid $330 for my saw, I can't remember for sure. That was in 2000. Another saw that has good power and is pretty light is the MS 250. I was going to get the MS 250, but I'm going to get the MS 260 Pro instead.

I've never used a Husqvarna so I can't tell you anything about them. From what I've heard their just as good as Stihl. Stihl's feel better to me then Husqvarna's so thats the main reason I buy them. Some people say Husqvarna makes a better saw then Stihl, and some people say Stihl makes a better then Husqvarna. I have no Idea. I don't think you'll go wrong either way. Get the one that feels better to you. Good luck and let us know! :grin:

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2005, 06:30:41 PM »
I started out with and old Echo that my Dad got in the late 70s. It was one heck of a saw. When it finally started giving me problems in 99 it was leaking fuel and they couldnt get parts to fix it. I got a poulin at walmart for $125.00 and it lasted until two years ago when a bearing went out. It was going to cost more than the price of the saw to fix it. But that saw more than paid for it's self twenty fold. I then got a Husqvarna 345. It is one heck of a saw!! I had problems with the other saws flairing up my carpal tunnel problems in my hands. This Husqvarna you can operate all day and it doesnt bother me a bit. It is easy to start and runs like a champ. I cut all hard wood, hedge, locus, oak and every now and then hickory and it goes through wood like nobodys business! I would not think twice about buying another one.

Offline 3584ELK

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2005, 07:07:55 AM »
I have always owned Stihls.  I have cut firewood professionally, been a timber faller, and still use a saw for firewood for personal use.  I have owned a Stihl 031, 056 Super, 041 Farm Boss, and now a 310 MS.  

I have always heard that a Husky uses chain speed and rpm to cut, and a Stihl requires torque and lugging for its best work.  

I know loggers who have owned both and they seem to vacillate between the two brands.  They NEVER own McCulloughs, Homelite's, or Poulan's, and I think that speaks volumes.
An Honest Man Keeps His Horse Saddled

Offline flatwoods

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2005, 11:58:22 AM »
In reply to the question of using outboard motor oil for mixing and use in chainsaws--I have been told that is a NO-NO something about engine temps and ruining rings, cylinders, and pistons.  I ran the ob oil in cs gas years ago in Homelites and saw no ill effects.  However, when I contnued to do so in a Husky, it didn't last too long!  Man, those ole Homelite SuperXL's WERE SOME saws.  Used them in the bow-blade config for years with nothing but good luck.  Everything went down hill fast once Homelite began selling out-parts became hard to locate and many made from plastic.  I believe John Deers owns them now.

I'm a forester in sw GA, Fla. panhandle and se ALA areas and most of the loggers use only the Huskies or Stihls - depending upon personal preferances.  

Most important aspect is to get a saw  for which you can get parts and get worked on in your area.

Offline Num_1_Dad

• http://www.tuxrules.com/penguin
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2005, 01:30:29 AM »
Quote from: TM7
The Poulans are real noisy.
...........................................TM7

I bought a Poulan Wild Thing ( http://www.poulan.com/products/chainsaws/gas/prod_2375.asp , tho it's now thw WD4018)- 18 inch. bar, 2.5 cu in./40cc engine, and it is really quite quiet. It will cut nice as well, as with it I cut approx. 20 face cord of oak. My neighbor was impressed with it as he said that he never saw a Poulan cut that good. It will go thru 22 inch. oak pretty fast (he compared it to his Husky, which is a 353 or 357, can't remember). I'm impressed enought to keep it, but have plans to buy either a Husky or Stihl. The neighbor's coil had died, so he rented a 575, and all I can say is "WOW"!! With a sharp chain, he buzzed the wood in nothing flat, really impressed, but the weight is a big factor. He was definately tired the first day and beat the next. I'm thinking of of maybe the Poulan 295 Pro ( http://www.poulan.com/products/chainsaws/gas/prod_295.asp )next, as it's 2.8 cu in./48cc and costs around $200.00 (Home Depot).

This is a link to some pics of some of the wood I cut:

http://www.tuxrules.com/shop/phpBB2/album_personal.php?user_id=2
Visit my forum at www.tuxrules.com/penguin to get the latest php forum board's with built in MOD's!
Or my forum www.tuxrules.com/discussion

Offline spraynpray

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2005, 06:46:03 AM »
My dad has cut several hundred cords of wood with his 046 Stihl.
Happiness is a warm CETME.

Your deer rifle will never be banned... they will call it a terrorists sniper rifle first.

CETME owners group #164
http://members.createforum.net/index.php?mforum=entertainmentce

Offline hivel37

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2005, 03:02:32 PM »
If you buy a Stihl, use it up before 10 years.  I had one bought in 1983 after a hurricane on the coast.  After 20 years and very little use, I took it to the local Stihl dealer for tune.  They said the factory does not support models over 10 years old.  I gave it to a guy who had several more to scavenge parts off of.  Maybe he can keep one running.

Offline NYH1

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2005, 05:59:55 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it! :D

Offline rock-steady

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2005, 03:45:41 AM »
Stihl vs Husquavarna is like Ford vs Chevy or 270 vs 30/06 down here. I personally own a Stihl 290 and my cousin swears by his Husquavarna. My friend the logger uses Stihl 044's and 046's.