Author Topic: Leupold warranty  (Read 1479 times)

Offline flabbydan

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
Leupold warranty
« on: May 24, 2005, 03:07:47 PM »
Does anyone know if Leupold's warranty only covers the original owner?  I got a good deal a while back in Cabela's "Bargain Cave" on a 6x42AO that was a factory repair.  I thought I might use it for hunter benchrest, but I never really got into that.  I'd like to sell it, and was just wondering about the warranty thing.  Thanks,
Dan

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Leupold warranty
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 03:28:23 PM »
You will be covered. It's a Leupold.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
Leupold warranty
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 05:27:04 PM »
One of the really good things about Leupold is that their warranty extends to whoever owns it, whether new or used.  This is probably one of the reasons why Leupolds tend to have a higher resale value than other scopes.

To be fair, however, I think that that the Bushnell Elites also extend the same warranty.

Zachary

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
Leupold warranty
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 05:53:35 PM »
Zachary, which other companies also have extend their warranty to second hand users?

I dont think Nikon does, but im not positive. From what ive heard, Only the Bushnell Elite series extends the warranty, not on the cheaper scopes.

I have no clue as far as Weaver, Zeiss, Swarivski, Burris, etc...can u fill me in?

It would be some useful info to keep in mind the next time I purchase a scope.

Thanx
Good Hunting and Straight Shooting

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Leupold warranty
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 06:19:09 PM »
Bushnell's warranty is only good to the original owner, even on the Elite 4200 series.

http://bushnell.com/customer_service/warranty.cfm

US WARRANTY
In the past our products have had different lengths of warranty coverage. However, since 1984, the majority of our products carry a Limited Lifetime Warranty. Bushnell Performance Optics guarantees your product to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner. The exceptions are as follows.

Bushnell Elite Riflescopes              "No Questions Asked One Year Warranty ELITE Replacement Policy"
(This offer is limited to one original purchase refund per address. For additional information about this offer, please contact Customer Service)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cma g21

Leupold warranty
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 01:44:08 AM »
Burris:

Forever Warranty         
All rifle and handgun scopes, Signature Binoculars, Signature Spotting scopes, and all rings and bases carry the Burris-exclusive Forever Warranty. If any of these products is ever found to have defects in materials or workmanship, Burris will, at our option, repair or replace it at no charge, even if you are not the original owner.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/warranty.html[/quote]

Offline Zachary

Leupold warranty
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 02:52:24 AM »
I knew Burris extended it's warranty to non-original owners, but I thought that it applied to the Elites too.  I guess I was wrong.

Admittedly, I don't really look into these types of issues because I always purchase my scopes new and am thus the original owner.  Then again, I don't keep any of my receipts and I never fill out those registration cards either - so there is no way that I can prove that I am the original owner.

Yet then again, I have never had any problems with any of my scopes - Thank God. :grin:

Zachary

Offline Catfish

Leupold warranty
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 02:57:04 PM »
All I know about Leupolds warranty is wath they say, forever. I hear they are very good and very fast with repairs. I have over 30 of their scopes, got the first one in 1968, but have never use their repair services. I bouht 2 Burrius scopes and both were bad, sold 1 still have 1 and have not made up my mind if I`ll sell it or have it repaired. I had a 4X Leo that went through a car wreck with me. The gun it was on was destroyed, and the scope doesn`t look to good, but it still works like new. I have 2 new Leo`s on order now. The best repair is no repair need.

Offline Dusty Miller

Leupold warranty
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 07:26:55 PM »
When I sent my Leupold 2X handgun scope in three times after punishing it on my 454 Casull there was not question whatsovever about whether or not I was the original owner.  They didn't even want to know what the heck I was doing to it to make it break three times in 18 months.  I'm sold on Leupold all the way.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
Leupold warranty
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 01:04:42 AM »
Quote from: Catfish
All I know about Leupolds warranty is wath they say, forever. I hear they are very good and very fast with repairs. I have over 30 of their scopes, got the first one in 1968, but have never use their repair services. I bouht 2 Burrius scopes and both were bad, sold 1 still have 1 and have not made up my mind if I`ll sell it or have it repaired. I had a 4X Leo that went through a car wreck with me. The gun it was on was destroyed, and the scope doesn`t look to good, but it still works like new. I have 2 new Leo`s on order now. The best repair is no repair need.

I would have to second the "The best repair is no repair need."
I have never had to send one of my Leupolds in. But if I had to, I know it would not be a problem.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Zachary

Leupold warranty
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 01:29:54 AM »
Quote from: Dusty Miller
When I sent my Leupold 2X handgun scope in three times after punishing it on my 454 Casull there was not question whatsovever about whether or not I was the original owner.  They didn't even want to know what the heck I was doing to it to make it break three times in 18 months.  I'm sold on Leupold all the way.

You know, the funny thing about Leupold's warranty, or any other manufacturer's warranty for that matter, is that I hope that I never have to use it.  I have a Burris 2x-7x on my .454 Casull and I have NEVER had any problems with it.  In fact, the gun shoots 1" groups or better at 50 yards (not 100 yards because I have never tried that far).  POI is almost perfect, as well as tracking.  My only complaint about the Burris is that the scope seems to "black out" at about 4.5x or so, rendering powers from 4.5x to 7x essentially useless.

Still, the bottom line is, fine, Leupold has one of the best (if not THE best) warranty and service.  However, if a scope is well built, then the warranty is essentially a non-issue.  If a scope breaks down 3 times in 18 months, then why don't you just get the burris handgun scope?

It's kinda like these "lifetime warranty" on these super cheap auto parts.  The manufacturers know that they won't last a lifetime (or even a few months for that matter  :) ), yet they still offer it.  Why?  Because the warranty only covers the part - not the labor - which is wayyyy more expensive.  So, you are better off buying the best name brand (which, ironically, usually only comes with a 90 day warranty) and getting  it done right the first time AND saving you money down the road.  This may not be the best analogy, but you get the point.  If a scope is built right, then you don't need to worry about a lifetime warranty.

Zachary

Offline BuckTrucker

Leupold warranty
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 06:41:39 AM »
If a scope is built right, then you don't need to worry about a lifetime warranty.

Zachary
[/quote]

Zachary,

You are a man of optical wisdom but I respectfully disagree with this last statement for a couple of reasons. First, while the scope manufacturer might build them right most of the time, I've never seen any manufacturer with 0 defects - it's why all manufacturers have service departments. Second, you never know what's going to happen to cause the scope to fail. A "no questions asked" repair/replacement is a valuable feature to have. In a friend of mine's case, he had his rifle/scope stolen and thrown in some bushes where they lay for 4 years until someone cleaning up found them and turned them into the police. He was contacted and the gun/scope was returned to him. He had a smith rework the rifle and sent the scope off to Leupold where they reworked it and returned it at no charge. If that were a Bushnell with a 1 year guarantee, he would have had to spend another $400-600 to replace the scope.

I have asked for others advice in another post here and what's become very clear is that there are a lot of great scope choices out there and many perform at very high levels. Given the closeness in costs for many of these and the high performance, warranty can be a very valuable feature. Example would be a Elite 4200, 2.5-10x50, Firefly, Matte $429 vs. VX-III 3.5-10x50, Duplex, Matte $549. It's $130 more for the Leupold and lifetime warranty but you can be certain you will NEVER have buy a new scope (unless you do something really stupid which no one covers). I personally think the lifetime warranty may be useful cause at 47, I'm planning to live a while longer. :D

Offline victorcharlie

Leupold warranty
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 07:33:04 AM »
It's $130 more for the Leupold and lifetime warranty but you can be certain you will NEVER have buy a new scope (unless you do something really stupid which no one covers). I personally think the lifetime warranty may be useful cause at 47, I'm planning to live a while longer.

Hard to beat the Leupolds.......however, the thing I've found about a lifetime warranty is it's really the life time of the company......and we live in a day of bankruptcies and mergers....New CEO's and management changes.....etc......I hope Leupold will be around 40 years from now, in the form that we know it.........Sears craftsman tools have a life time warranty........while I find sears pretty good about honoring the warranty, I have read they are becoming much more picky about returns.......

NOTHING LAST FOREVER! :cry:  :(
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline BuckTrucker

Leupold warranty
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 02:31:37 AM »
Quote from: victorcharlie
It's $130 more for the Leupold and lifetime warranty but you can be certain you will NEVER have buy a new scope (unless you do something really stupid which no one covers). I personally think the lifetime warranty may be useful cause at 47, I'm planning to live a while longer.

Hard to beat the Leupolds.......however, the thing I've found about a lifetime warranty is it's really the life time of the company......and we live in a day of bankruptcies and mergers....New CEO's and management changes.....etc......I hope Leupold will be around 40 years from now, in the form that we know it.........Sears craftsman tools have a life time warranty........while I find sears pretty good about honoring the warranty, I have read they are becoming much more picky about returns.......

NOTHING LAST FOREVER! :cry:  :(

Well VC, I can't argue with you there since none of us know who'll be around in 5,10 or 40 years and a warranty is only good as long as the company will honor it. Haven't heard about the picky returns issue with Leupold but I imagine they get a few folks trying to pull a fast one on them. In my friends case with the rifle in the bushes for 4 years, he didn't tell them any lies and if they would have asked him about the situation and rejected the claim, he would have understood since it technically wasn't their fault. He simply returned it with a note that it had fogged and they asked no questions and returned a new/rebuilt scope.

Funny you mention Craftsman tools because that's exactly the way I feel about these warranties. About a month ago, I had a Craftsman screwdriver tip break and I walked in and they replaced it with no questions asked. I have bought cheaper tools and had to throw them away because they were junk but you can always count on Craftsman. I guess I value peace of mind.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
Leupold warranty
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 08:11:45 AM »
I think Leupold has lived up to having a great product. I know a couple of hunters that fell while hunting and damaged there Leupold scopes. They told Leupold about what happened and the scopes were fixed free of charge. How many others out there would do that??? It is not always a manufactures defect that would cause you to have to send your scope in to be repaired. That is the reason for my loyalty to Leupold products.

I have never had to send in one of my Leupold scopes. And I have about 25 of them currently, and they are on some heavy kickers. So I guess Leupold qualifies as one of the top scope makers in my book. Sure stuff happens and one my get by them, but I bet you anything, they will make it right.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Shamus99

Leupold warranty
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2005, 07:30:33 PM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
Bushnell's warranty is only good to the original owner, even on the Elite 4200 series.

Just searching old posts for info and ran across this one - sorry to resurrect it so late but the Elite's warranties are NOT limited to original owners.  The manual is the proper place to get this info and here's the link and a quote from it...  

"We are so proud of our Bushnell® ELITE® Riflescopes that their materials and workmanship are warranted to
be free of defects for the life of the ELITE Riflescope. The warranty is available to any owner of the ELITE
Riflescope. No receipt or warranty card is required."

(link - http://www.bushnell.com/customer_service/manuals/riflescopes/Elite_Riflescope_Manual.pdf )

Anyway, just wanted to make sure the right info was presented.. albeit late  :-)

Offline Rum River

• Avid Poster
Leupold warranty
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2005, 07:20:34 AM »
Leupold repaired an old 2x7 VXII I bought used over 20 years ago, still works great.

The only problem in the whole deal was with my cousin, and nailing him down on exactly WHY he felt the need to walk down a steep moss-covered boulder with 6" of snow on the ground - and never bother to unsling the rifle he borrowed.

Turns out a Leupold CAN break the fall of a 6'2" 225 pound hunter..........
Rum River

"It was a FRIENDLY fight".     "Hmph, I've never been in one a them."

Offline Reloader

• Avid Poster
True story
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2005, 07:37:06 PM »
A guy I work with went into the repair center to pick up his Leupold scope.
He absent mindedly handed it to his little girl who proceeded to drop kick it across their slate floor.  The lady behind the counter didn't miss a beat and said, "Bring it back if it doesn't work."
I've never had a problem with a scope, but got excellent service on binoculars that were handed down to me and fogged up.
If I can make it go bang it can't be that hard to do.