Author Topic: Meuller Scope Weirdness?  (Read 775 times)

Offline Zeke Menuar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Meuller Scope Weirdness?
« on: August 27, 2005, 10:10:13 PM »
Don't know if this is a problem.  My Nikon doesn't have this issue.

Bought this scope http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=2313 last week.

I was mounting the scope on the Tupperware Special when I noticed the vertical crosshair and the up/down adjustment are both not vertical.  I hope this is making sense.  

I used a level to get the rifle absolutely level.  I assumed I could place the level on the cap that covers the adjustment knob and that would align the crosshairs.  Not so.  The crosshairs are off a few degrees in relation to the adjustment knob.  Not bad but noticeable.  I checked this against the Nikon on my BC for comparison and the Nikon turn knobs are in perfect alignment to the vertical crosshairs.  

Did I discover something?  Am I being too picky?

Comments?  Not sure if I have to live with this or return the scope.

Thanks
ZM
Official Guardian of the Arsenal of Paranoia

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
Meuller Scope Weirdness?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 01:33:30 AM »
ZM,
There is a possibility that the cross hair could be loose and slightly rotated.  A way to check that is by rotating the power ring from one extreme to the other and seeing if it changes in relation to the turret.

Although not a common problem I have seen where the internal locking ring wasnt seated all the way causing this to happen.

Just follow the enclosed warranty instructions (dont worry about any fees) and well take care of it. If you dont have it, we posted it here:
http://www.muelleroptics.com/Warranty.htm

Thanks

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Meuller Scope Weirdness?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 06:07:53 AM »
Zeke I strongly suspect your methodology not the scope is at fault here. It's nearly impossible to find a place on most rifles to sit a level to be 100% sure the rifle is level. And the scope cap is not a reliable place to put one to check the scope or rifle level. Sounds good in theory but in practice isn't real practical.

A better method is to hang a plumb bob on a heavy string you can see thru the scope. Do your dead level best to make sure the rifle is level and then adjust the cross hairs to plumb with the string. This is about as accurate a method as can be rigged up at home. Being 100% sure of the rifle being level is the real snag.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Zeke Menuar

• Avid Poster
Meuller Scope Weirdness?
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 07:11:35 AM »
Graybeard

I suspect you may be correct.  I'm not real hi-tech here.  I turned the scope down to 3x and aligned the crosshairs by looking through the scope at a window frame.  Got things as level and squared up as I could with the tools that I have.

I mounted the scope and tested the power ring per The Optic Zone's directions.  Everything as far as the scope is concerned seems to be OK.

I think I'll shut up now and go shoot something.  

ZM

Offline akpls

• Contributor
Meuller Scope Weirdness?
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 08:31:51 AM »
Quote from: Mueller Optics
.....Just follow the enclosed warranty instructions (dont worry about any fees) and well take care of it.

And this will be one reason I'll be checking out a Mueller when I need another scope.  A company that doesn't drain your wallet and still stands behind their product.  Thanks!   :grin:

Offline Zeke Menuar

• Avid Poster
Meuller Scope Weirdness?
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 08:46:59 AM »
When my current project, restoring a M1917 Enfield Sporter is finished, It will get a scope from the Optic Zone.

ZM

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Meuller Scope Weirdness?
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 06:08:21 PM »
If it turns out to be a scope problem which I doubt Rich will take good care of you. Count on it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline olredhead

Meuller Scope Weirdness?
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 05:41:17 AM »
Guys, just mounted a Mueller Eradicator on a friends 17. I'm a long way from a optics expert but this thing has some of the best glass I've seen on any price scope. The 1/8th moa dot just covers the 10 spot on a benchrest target at 100 yds. The crosshairs are very fine but very clear even with these old eyes and the illuminated dot should give another 1/2 hour of hunting when crosshairs disappear but you still have a good sight picture. Scope was ordered from Opticzone and Tammie was very easy to deal with.
I know that it difficult to find a Mueller at a dealer to look at and thru but at less than $200 this appears to be a real bargin. Guess I'm gonna have to start pickin up beer cans to buy my own cause I know my buddy's gonna figure out it dosen't take 6 months to sight in a rifle.  redhead  :grin: