Author Topic: Coues Deer hunt in AZ  (Read 341 times)

Offline TCBrian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Coues Deer hunt in AZ
« on: September 14, 2005, 08:40:12 AM »
High all, I have drawn a Coues deer tag for Unit 33 in AZ.
I have never hunted them, only mule deer and blacktails.

I was just wondering if anyone has experience with them and in particulair that zone.

I have read that good glass is very important since they are small, gray and wary. I think I have that covered.

I will be shooting a 30-06 sighted at 300yrs with 150 innerbonds, so I think I have rifle and load choice handled.

Any reccomendations, tips or locations would be well appreciated. My scouting time will be limited and I have the early hunt(oct 28-31st), so I wont have the bendfit of hunting them during the runt. Those deer rut in  Dec from what I have read.

Thanks,
Brian

Offline PeterB

Coues Deer hunt in AZ
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 04:14:10 AM »
http://www.gf.state.az.us/h_f/hunting_units_33.shtm

You have your facts pretty straight.  Glassing is the game.  I'm not real good at it myself.  Expect to look at an area for hours.  Just when you feel like nothing is there you might spot an ear or tail.  Get up as high on a peak as you can so you can glass big areas.  When you spot a deer you will likely have to do a stalk to get to 300 yrds or less.  I have not hunted 33 but have taken a few small bucks in 34b just south of your area.  You should consider getting a Forest Service map from the Coronado forest.  Not sure about land ownership in the area, but you will likely see Forest Service, BLM, and AZ state trust land as well as private.  You can hunt all except private (unless you have permission).  Get there a day or two before if you can so you can scout around.  Good luck.

Offline TCBrian

• Avid Poster
Coues Deer hunt in AZ
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 07:18:52 AM »
Thanks,
Ordered my map the day I got my tag in the mail. I will just keep practicing the long shots and my glassing technique. I have never been a big fan of glassing for hours, but I want to get a coues, so I know it must be done.
The hunt starts on a friday, so I will probably get there on wednesday or thursday to get set up. I am pretty sure I am going to hire a scouting service too, since I simply can not free up the time to get out there to scout before then. A couple days before the hunt is nice, but I am hoping by then to at least be in the right area.
I have hunted mule deer and javelina in AZ and I know what vast country it can be. When you look at a lot of it, youd think no game exists, but most areas will surprise you. I have seen some huge muleys in what appeared to be lifeless barren desert.

Thanks again,
Brian