Author Topic: Simmons 44 Mag Scopes  (Read 611 times)

Offline Rockin Double B

• Trade Count: (12)
Simmons 44 Mag Scopes
« on: September 06, 2005, 07:11:35 PM »
Does anyone have any firsthand experience or directly know of someone who has used Simmons 44 Mag scopes?  I'm not looking for the usual Chevy vs. Ford arguments but actual experience with the scopes and/or customer service.  My real question is: if a guy got a good deal on an un-used new-in-box Simmons 44Mag is it a good scope to use on a rifle (probably a .243)? My concern is they are so inexpensive.  The Aetec line seems to get praise but the lower end of the line gets less than complimentary remarks.  I just don't know about the 44 Mag line.  Thank you for any insight.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Simmons 44 Mag Scopes
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 01:06:49 AM »
I got one from a gun shop that was going out of business real cheap. I have it on my Savage 17HMR. Although not as clear as the Aetec line. It does the job for the 17HMR. All my other guns wear Leupold.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline KP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Simmons 44 Mag Scopes
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 03:01:19 AM »
I bought one about 8 years ago for my 30-06. No problems yet, same now as when I bought it. I'm in the military and that gun has been in Georgia, Hawaii, Texas, Colorado, and Louisiana. It has survived all these moves and to this day it still holds its zero and hasn't fogged yet. I sometimes wished it had better light transmission in the thick dark stuff like Louisiana.

Offline ENCOREROOKIE

Simmons 44 Mag Scopes
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 03:01:35 AM »
I have 4 - 6.5x20.IMHO its the best deal for the money.I am looking on getting a few more considering there not making them anymore.I have them on a .223,30.-06 and 2-7mm mag and have no problems at all.I know several people that have them and none have complained.

Offline Rockin Double B

• Trade Count: (12)
Thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 05:25:02 AM »
Thank you very much for the insight.  For $100 I will take the chance and give it a shot.  Thanks again

Offline coyote 2

• Avid Poster
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/schwager/
Simmons 44 Mag Scopes
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 05:08:55 PM »
Going to add my reply also. I have three of them two on my 10/22's and one on my AR15 Bushmaster tactical rifle. - 2.5 x 10 the others are 6.5 x 20.
Have had no problem with them - the one on the AR has been abused to no end........works great and I have no complaints. Are there better scopes...yup....but you will pay three times the price. GO for it...... :D
Don't cry because its over - Smile because it happened!

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
Simmons 44 Mag Scopes
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 03:03:47 AM »
After reading many pro's and con's about Simmons scopes in general, I took a chance on a .44 Mag when Bass Pro put them on sale for $79.95 a couple months ago.  I have it mounted on a .280 NEF Handi with Leupold Rifleman rings.  

I have nothing bad to say.  It is one of the clearest scopes I own.  The adjustments are accurate and have remained that way.  It took two shots to get to .280 to start hitting the bull at 100yds after I bore sighted (the old fashioned way) it.  I'm now working on a 200yd zero and its just as clear. I'm using it off the bench on 6X power at 200 yds.

I'm impressed enough that I recently bought a Simmons ATV that I mounted on a .223 H&R Ultra and a new Master Series 3X9. The 3X9 is not as clear, but so far its doing well.  I have it mounted on another Handi .280.

EVOC ONE