Author Topic: lyman gas checks  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
lyman gas checks
« on: February 15, 2003, 12:05:58 AM »
alot of you know how crappy lyman gas checks are but its tough to find anything else in .41 the last box i bought from them would fall of the bullets after going through the sizer just holding the bullet up most of them stayed right on the sizing die. I even found I could get them with very little hand pressure to fit on the shank of a lyman .44 300 keith bullet. I contacted lyman and was given a big runaround they wanted me to ship them back the box at my own expense so there lab could check them. I told them I wasnt going to pay $7 to ship a $15 box of gas checks to them and would send them a couple there respose was that there gas checks are only designed to fit there bullets. I asked the lady why it didnt state that on the box and why they fit on a lyman .44 bullet and she had no answer. I have emailed them twice since and they dont even respond. I know one thing Ill never buy a lyman product again I have been treated like a king by rcbs and most others in this industry and lyman will even charge you for orings for your lubesizer! Im done venting now thank you for listening
blue lives matter

Offline sjc1

• Trade Count: (0)
lyman gas checks
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2003, 02:49:02 AM »
This is one of the reasons why I try to stay away from gaschecked lead bullets if at all possible.

Offline Graycg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (74)
lyman gas checks
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2003, 04:59:37 AM »
Lloyd Smale,
  I had similar issue with LYMAN 41 caliber gas checks, they seemed to be belled excessively and oversized....and that was being used on a lyman 410610 mould.  I found two things that helped, first was to size them nose first in my Star sizer, that helped and the second thing that helped out even more was annealing the gaschecks before using them.  Those two thing made them stick better to the bullets base.
   Frankly, I use Lyman gas checks in 30, 35 and 44 caliber on all sorts of bullets, Lyman, RCBS, LBT, NEI, Mountain Molds and a Hoch.  I have no problems with them in those calibers, but in 41, for some reason, they just don't seem work well out of the box, even on Lyman moulds.  Fortunately, my 41 itch got scratched and hasn't recurred since I got my 357 Max.

regards,
 Graycg
"Secretly you want me on that wall; you need me on that wall"  
 Colonel Nathan Jessup

Offline The Blade

41 gas checks
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2003, 09:08:30 AM »
Lloyd,

Remember I said that I was going to send you some .41 gas checks?  Since you said that you had enough to get by on, I didn't send them.  I was going to send you my box of Lymans, because I've been unable to make them stick to the .41 bullets.  I was hoping that you would find a way to make them work, and that they would be useful to you.  I think I've got 999 of them...

I have had success with the Hornady gas check for the 41, though.  Just order the ones that are labeled for the .416" calibers.  They work great.  Turns out that the Hornady gas checks are significantly cheaper, too.  I'd be glad to send you a hundred or so, as you were kind enough to send me those 30 caliber GC's.  Just let me know if you want them...

The Blade

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
lyman gas checks
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2003, 11:20:56 AM »
sent you a personal message
blue lives matter

Offline 7br

Lyman .41 checks
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2003, 06:31:24 AM »
I have a bunch of .41 lyman checks that have about 1 in 10 with the collar, rim, thingy that clamps onto the bullet, torn where it meets the base of the check.  I have 10 Hornady .44 checks that I am going to apply to .41 bullets and load test.  They will set with a little effort, but they form to the middle punch in a .411 sizer die.  If there is a build up of lube on the punch, the base forms around the lube.  I also have a bunch of hornady .416 checks if anyone can get them to work on their .41 moulds.  I couldn't.
7br aka Mark B.

Offline EDG

• Avid Poster
lyman gas checks
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2003, 01:58:51 PM »
Has anyone tried gluing the 41 Lymans on with LEE liquid alox. It seems you could apply a drop of alox in the gas check and seat it. Let the check sit over night to permit the liquid alox to set up. Then size the bullet as usual. This is just a theory I have wanted to try. Can any one sell me a few to a hundred gas checks?
Thanks,
 Ed

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
lyman gas checks
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2003, 12:12:50 AM »
the only problem I see with the whole lyman thing is that if the gas checks are going to come off in bullet flight they would have to come off at the same time every shot or your accuracy is going to suffer and I dont believe that allox is going to hold the check on good enough to make it to the target
blue lives matter

Offline Turk

• Avid Poster
lyman gas checks
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2003, 02:58:15 AM »
Graycg

I see you use a Star.  Question:  How are gas checks seated with a nose first sizing.  I'm considering a star to replace (addition) of my RCBS sizer.

Thanks,

Turk
In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline Graycg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (74)
lyman gas checks
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2003, 04:43:58 AM »
Turk,
   I just seat the gascheck with fingers, insert the bullet nose down into the sizing die and push the handle down.  I use a flat top punch (I guess in this case, we'll call it a base punch since it pushes against the base of the bullet) and when you push the handle down, the top punch will push the entire bullet and gas check into the die and seat it on the bullet. It works well with both Hornady or Lyman gaschecks....with the exception of the 41 Lymans which I never could get to work properly in any manner.
   Then you repeat the process and the nose of the next bullet then pushes the first bullet out of the die.
  Use the star once, and you'll never go back to Lyman, RCBS or SAECO, they are fine machines, but like comparing a shovel to a ditch-witch.

regards,
 Graycg
"Secretly you want me on that wall; you need me on that wall"  
 Colonel Nathan Jessup