Author Topic: Game Bags  (Read 733 times)

Offline Turtle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Game Bags
« on: August 12, 2005, 10:56:51 AM »
What are ya all using for game bags this year for your meat?  Went to pick some up at a well known outdoors store only to find out they ordered in some different ones this year.  
Choices were the real thin (like cheesecloth) ones that rip once they get blood on them or a real heavy canvas like pannards are made of.  I picked up 4 of the heavy canvas ones but decided against them due to being too heavy.
Used to be able to get some nice medium weight bags that didn't rip and weren't that expensive either but can't seem to find them.
What are you guys gonna use?

-Turtle -

Offline Lawdog

Game Bags
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 11:03:16 AM »
Have to ask th wife what she made ours out of.  Get back to you on Monday or Tuesday.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Game Bags
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 09:18:46 AM »
I save old pillow cases. They work good for deer.  You can make larger ones for elk out of old bed sheets or buy some material at a fabric store... I forget what the material is called but it has a looser weave than sheets.  We once knotted the bagged quarters of an elk around a rope about nine feet above the ground. Somehow a black bear got to one bag and tore it off the rope.  The top of the bag was still tied around the rope.   I don't know whether he climbed one of the aspens and jumped to the meat or for all I know, he may stood on his buddy's shoulders.  
james

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
game bags
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 10:10:33 AM »
I have used the light weight game bags for years with no dissapointment. However I don't use them as tote bags. I am sure if the weight of four shouldrs backstapes and neck were strung up by the bag alone it would tear. I have always used them to keep the meat clean and allow some air to circulate around the meat. I mostly use them as a container. Meaning after I place the quartered meat in the bag I secure the whole package, and then secure : the package" to my pack frame.  

When arriving in camp I hang the "quarters" and allow the game bag to hang around the outside of the meat.

longwalker

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
Game Bags
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 01:05:04 PM »
I made some out of bed sheets.  They work really well