Author Topic: Sponge and Rammer  (Read 974 times)

Offline Hendo

• Trade Count: (0)
Sponge and Rammer
« on: September 01, 2005, 04:59:54 PM »
Hi,
Very good site and lots of info.

I am building a 44mm cannon and now need to make a rammer,sponge and wormer. Anyone know where some plans may be as it would be appreciated?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Sponge and Rammer
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 01:08:47 AM »
Hendo -

Welcome to the board!

There are some folks here that have made some right-much nice implements - I'm sure you'll get some responses soon.

Are you looking for something functional or histerically accurate?  If so what period or style?

44mm?  Interesting.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Sponge and Rammer
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 04:00:19 AM »
I think 44 mm = Golf ball bore? :grin:
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline CAV Trooper

• Avid Poster
Sponge and Rammer
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 09:04:53 AM »
Quote from: Powder keg
I think 44 mm = Golf ball bore? :grin:

Absolutely. That's what it says on the Wild Imports web site - "44mm (1.73") It can shoot GOLF BALLS"
“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
Sponge and Rammer
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 06:26:42 PM »
I'll have pictures to post in  about a week of a safety rammer, worming tool and swab that I supply with the golf ball cannons that I sell.  The swab I make uses a standard 1" dia. dowel rod.  I  tack a  2" wide strip of terry cloth [washcloth]  to the end of the dowel [leave 1/2" overhang] with small horseshoe tacks. then wrap the cloth until the diameter is close to the bore size[slide fit] and cut to length. Wrap the cloth with 2 or 3 bands of string and tie tight.  Next, use an infants sock [5-7 month]  doubled over with the folded edge tucked to the inside, and pull this over the terry cloth end.  Tie a string around the sock where the cloth and dowel meet [on the dowel] to prevent the sock from pulling off.  Change sock when dirty, the swab that is. (':)')  

The safety rammer I use is also 1" dia. dowel.   Cut two pieces of dowel, one piece 3 inches longer than the inside bore length for the rammer and one  about 8 to 10 inches long for the handle. Then cut 2 short pieces of tubing 2" long [1- 1/8"x .058 wall] for a slide fit over each dowel rod.  Cut a 5" long piece of 3/8" diameter solid round steel.  Place it between the two pieces of tubing near the end of the tubes which are parallel to each other, and weld together.  Insert the dowel rods into each tube with the 3/8" rod at the end forming a U shape.  Drill and thru bolt the dowels to each tube with a 3/16" x 1- 1/2" screw and nut.  [The dowel must be made long enough so the steel tubing does not contact the barrel.]

The worming tool I make uses the same size dowel [1"] and tubing [2" long].  Cut dowel 12" longer than bore length.  This part is a little trickier and may take practice. Take two short pieces of 3/16 diameter round rod, sharpen a point on one end of each rod and bend rod around a 1- 1/4" dia. tube so it forms a 180 degree U bend.  Weld each of these pieces to the 2" long tube 180 degrees apart from each other and in the same rotational direction,  Then tweak the pointed hook ends around a litte to fit the bore.  CAUTION.. NEVER USE A STEEL WORMING TO REMOVE A DRY CHARGE BAG. A spark may ignite the powder charge. Use this type of worm ONLY for tin foil residue or completely soaked charges. The other end can also be made into a safety rammer type setup with a swivel handle. A safety worm?

Well, I hope I wasn't too confusing.  Dom

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Sponge and Rammer
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 06:44:55 PM »
Great Idea for the swab!!! I'll be making one of those for my 24 pound howitzer. The rammer is a little fuzzy still though :?  Can't wait to see the pictures. Later,
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Hendo

Sponge and Rammer
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 04:25:12 PM »
:grin: Thank you all fopr your responses and yes it is easy to see you
Americans know what a 44 will shoot = golf balls. Our cannon is
made from solid steel bar, drilled ( took 3 days) and turned on a lathe.
It is our first cannon project but thanks to the net we are able to get almost nearly any info we need including a rammer and sponger
design! We intend to start at 200 grs of FG at the first firing and work up from there using golf balls. Does anyone think we should add a sabot to the ball to prevent ball distortion at firing? It is going to be a lot more fun than golf!

I am working on a carriage design at present but will post some pics soon
Regards
Hendo

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Sponge and Rammer
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 04:59:49 PM »
Quote from: Hendo
.... Does anyone think we should add a sabot to the ball to prevent ball distortion at firing?  ....

How big is the bore diameter ?  (44mm 44.0 mm )  Golf balls will vary a little in size.  If you're looking at 1.73" bore diameter you may have to clean more often to prevent golf balls from sticking when loading.

You shouldn't need a sabot.  

It's easy to get 100 to 200 + yards with 30-50 grains of FFg or FFFg powder with a 2 to 3 diameter length bore.  200 grains of powder will give you excellent velocity in a cannon and great range.

Golfing would be fun with a cannon/mortar except for the putting.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)