Author Topic: SP-101 OR S&W 60  (Read 909 times)

Offline powhs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
SP-101 OR S&W 60
« on: August 22, 2005, 01:25:10 PM »
I am considering a 3 inch barreled SP-101 OR S&W 60. Was wondering about this two guns. They seem pretty equal except the Smith has adjustable sights. Do you think one is much better than the other?   :D

Offline TNrifleman

• A Real Regular
SP-101 OR S&W 60
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 02:18:17 PM »
I'd get the 60 and never look back. I've had both, I still have the 3" 60.

Offline powhs

• Avid Poster
SP-101 OR S&W 60
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 04:08:05 PM »
Back in the day when I was on the job I carried 145 Win Silver tips because of low recoil, no over penetration and low muzzle flash. I found they work equally on feral dogs as the 125 grainers did.

Offline MikeP

SP-101 OR S&W 60
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 02:54:36 AM »
I like the SP 101 with the 2.25-inch barrel as my one and only concealed carry weapon. Without a hammer or rear exposed sight, it is as sleek as a raindrop and hangs up on nothing as it comes out. It is a highly specialized weapon, and for its specialty, it is a superb design. If I used it for target work, I would prefer the adjustable sights. But I got other guns for that.

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
SP-101 OR S&W 60
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 11:48:08 AM »
After handling both, my wife and I both preferred the S&W with a 3" barrel.  My brother in law likes Rugers.  Both are good revolvers, so go with what fits your hand.
NRA life member

Offline cabezaverde

SP-101 OR S&W 60
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 02:09:22 PM »
I was looking at both of the same choices. I went with the SP101, and am glad I did. Shoots dead on with the fixed sights, and is a tank.

Offline Dave in WV

SP-101 OR S&W 60
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 03:03:07 PM »
The lighter and more compact a handgun is, the more you will be willing to carry it. If it's heavy and or bulky you'll find reasons to leave it behind as the norm.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
SP-101 OR S&W 60
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 09:51:14 AM »
Different strokes for different folks ...
Quote from: TNrifleman
I'd get the 60 and never look back. I've had both, I still have the 3" 60.
... I also had both and I prefer the SP101.
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
SP-101 OR S&W 60
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 01:06:35 PM »
The Ruger® is "LONG ON STOUT"; meaning it will handle anything you feed it.. You don't need adjustable sights on a CCW gun. Having used a handgun 3 times to save my bacon I'll tell you the shots will be close, extremely close; about HALITOSIS RANGE! From my experience it will all be point shooting anyway.

Don't get me wrong; The S&W® is a fine gun also. We issue a lot of them to our female Officers although most choose to use 38 Special ammo.

If it were me or my Mrs we would go with the Ruger®.

When all is said & done however it's your money & your choice.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
SP-101 OR S&W 60
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 02:55:13 AM »
dawei - 'halitosis close' is a term I haven't heard in a long time, but it is a very accurate term at that.  And at that range, sights aren't necessary.  For carry purposes I would definately go with the S&W.  For general shooting or field holster carry I would go with the Ruger -as said, they are tanks.  

The heaviest thing to my S&W Airweight Bodyguard is the ammo - it adds about 2.5 ounces to the overall package, but I feel so much better with that little bit of added weight................ and of course, if you have to use the piece it gets lighter with every shot.  Like I used to tell my troops - take a triple load, it will get lighter after the first firefight.  Mikey.

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
SP-101 OR S&W 60
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 05:36:48 AM »
Quote from: Mikey
dawei - 'halitosis close' is a term I haven't heard in a long time, but it is a very accurate term at that.  And at that range, sights aren't necessary.  For carry purposes I would definately go with the S&W.  For general shooting or field holster carry I would go with the Ruger -as said, they are tanks.  

The heaviest thing to my S&W Airweight Bodyguard is the ammo - it adds about 2.5 ounces to the overall package, but I feel so much better with that little bit of added weight................ and of course, if you have to use the piece it gets lighter with every shot.  Like I used to tell my troops - take a triple load, it will get lighter after the first firefight.  Mikey.

Mike, not to denigrate your choice for CCW but why  :? carry a 3" barrel adjustable sight S&W® vs a 2¼" fixed sight gun :?:  I'm not knocking S&W® as my BUG/ODG is a S&W Mdl37 Airweight®.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
SP-101 OR S&W 60
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 02:36:32 AM »
dawei:  I've owned and carried 3" S&W J-Frames but the 2" snubbies just seem to feel better both in my hands and pockets.  As for the sights - my M38 groups under 2" at 25 yds when I do my part, so accuracy isn't lacking (thankfully).  Mikey.

Offline rockbilly

SP-101 OR S&W 60
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2005, 05:30:00 AM »
:D I also have both, either/or are good guns.  For me I prefer the Smith, it just seems to wears better with an inside the pants holster.

Selecting a concealed carry firearm is like selecting a wife, you can't let someone else make the choice for you..........which one pleases you?

Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a house burglar an uninvited house guest.  Illegal aliens are stealing from, not benefiting Americans. :evil:  :twisted:  :(