Author Topic: dead on at 25,how many clicks for 100?  (Read 1102 times)

Offline sjones

• Trade Count: (0)
dead on at 25,how many clicks for 100?
« on: September 11, 2005, 10:00:44 AM »
I just bought a marlin 30-30 and put a bushnell banner on it and bore sighted it,went to the range and it was in the bulls eye,maybe 1" high,wasn't even on paper at 100,then had to leave before I could shoot any more.Any one know how many clicks up it would take to get it on the bull at 100? thanks.sj :?

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: dead on at 25,how many clicks for 100?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 10:10:19 AM »
Quote from: sjones
I just bought a marlin 30-30 and put a bushnell banner on it and bore sighted it,went to the range and it was in the bulls eye,maybe 1" high,wasn't even on paper at 100,then had to leave before I could shoot any more.Any one know how many clicks up it would take to get it on the bull at 100? thanks.sj :?

Once you get on paper at 25 yards move out to 50 and then 75 and then 100. When you sight in at 25 yards 16 clicks to move the point of impact 1 inch. While at 100 yards it take 4 clicks to equal an inch, if your scope is a 1/4 inch click adjustment.

But trying to get a sight in at 25 yards and then shooting 100 you will be off. I get my gun on paper at 25 then move out to 100 yards and do my sight in. Then you can come back to 25  yards and shoot and be right on, but it won't work in the reverse direction. At 25 yards you adjustments are not seen as much as at 100 yards, it is magnified X4.  Harder to explain than do.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline sjones

sight in?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 10:15:22 AM »
if you are dead on with a 30-30 at 100 how high above the bull would you be at 25?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 10:30:15 AM »
The problem is you are asking for which there are no set answers. ONLY by shooting your rifle with your loads can the answers be determine. We cannot tell them to you. No magic formulas or charts will tell you.

Generally speaking with centerfire rifles and even bottleneck rounds in TCs you need to be from 1/2" to 2" low NOT HIGH at 25 yards to begin your 100 yard sight in. This will almost always assure you are at least on an 8.5"x11" sheet of paper at 100 yards.

Even if you're left to right adjustment appears to be dead on at 25 yards you may have to move it 2" to 3" or even more at 100 yards. There is just no way to shoot on paper at 25 and make valid assumptions of what's gonna happen at 100 yards. The world is just not that simple.

So get it dead on left to right at 25 yards and 2" low. Now shoot at 100 and you should be on paper. Make your adjustments from there BUT never with less than two shots between adjustments and then ONLY if those two are very close. With a lever action .30-30 they might not be.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline sjones

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 01:07:26 PM »
thanks for the advice,the two I shot at the 25 was touching each other and maybe 1" high from the very center of the bull.If I can get them looking like that at 100,I will be one happy new(to me)marlin owner. sj

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 02:39:03 PM »
It also depends on the grain of the bullet.  I shoot 150 grain hollow point Winchester in my Marlin.  I try to get 2.5-3.0 inches high @ 100.  That puts you dead on @ 175-200 yards.  Remember a deer has an 8 inch quick kill zone. (heart & lungs)  Download the ballistics program from the Remington website.  It will help you determine the best set up to try.

Offline camsdaddy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 02:38:32 AM »
I dare not disagree with anyone but I was reading an article this weekend about sighting @ 25yds and it stated that sighting in 3/10 " low at 25 will put you 2.5 " at 100yds. I have not tried this but plan to latter in the week I think sighting at 25 will help boost my confidence.

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 03:28:20 AM »
Is part of the equation how far above the barrel the scope is?   I am scoping a Handi presently and even with medium rings, it is slightly above the barrel.

pepaw

Offline sjones

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 01:45:02 PM »
I was shooting rem corelocks,150 gr.I am going to try setting it just a little low at 25 and see if that puts me on the paper at 100. This has really got me curious now.When I do get it sighted in at 100,I'm going back and shoot one or two at 25 just to see where they hit.IT seems that if it is on at 25,then the bullet would start dropping by the time it got to the 100,Am I wrong on this,or does it take a lot farther for the drop to start?sj

Offline Ramrod

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 01:50:14 PM »
The bullet crosses the line of sight twice, once at close range, and again at a longer distance. This is because of the elevation of the barrel. My guess is the gun is shooting over the 100 yard target if it is sighted high at 25 yards. Dead on at 25 will get you close, but usually still high at 100 for rifles of the .30-06 velocity range. For lower velocity guns, like the .30-30 you want to do your initial sighting shots at closer range, say 15-20 yards, or have them hit a little low at 25. Scope height does makes diference in trajectory, too.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 04:44:45 AM »
I agree with Graybeard on this one.  Now I will tell on myself.  about 10 years ago all I had access to was and indoor range.  I had a Steyr Mannlicher (270) with Pentax scope (still do) in my hands and max range was 25 yds at this indoor facility.  The guy in charge ran the computer program and I "sighted in" my rifle.  On a cold day in the Texas Panhandle I took aim at a very nice 9 pt buck around 175 yards out. First shot hit at least a foot over his back....he didn't even move except for raising his head.  Second shot did the same thing, and I never saw him again.  I promptly grabbed a feed sack, hung it on a post, and moved back 100 yds.  Bullet was about 14" high @ 100.  Moral to the story for me....never rely on computer programs, etc......shoot the gun at 100 to make sure.  It's not worth the chance.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 02:20:06 PM »
The 30-30 shoots like a rainbow.  It starts low and then rises.  A lot of flat point bullets do this.  The 45-70 is worse.  Run the program from Remington.  You can get 200 yards out of this rifle but that is max.

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 05:01:20 AM »
It starts low and then rises.  A lot of flat point bullets do this.
To clarify, no bullet actually rises above the bore line; all bullets begin to drop the instant they leave the muzzle.  Because low velocity bullets require more barrel elevation to reach a distant target the barrel is pointed higher than with high velocity bullets - but the bullet still begins to drop below the axis of the bore immediately.  

Jack O'Connor used to write that with high velocity rifles like a .270, sighting in dead on at 25 yards will put the bullet about 3" high at 100 yards; the key words being sighting in and about.  You have to fire more than one or two shots at 25 yards to determine the center of the group, then the center of the next group will be "so" high at 100 yards.  The .30-30 in question was not sighted in at 25 yards, the two shots were "maybe"(??!) one inch high and there was no real effort to determine if there was really a group.  One inch high at 25 yards means 4" high at 100 yards, but "maybe" it was 2" high at 25, or 8" high at 100.  Who knows?  How was the windage?  The advice above to shoot again at 50 yards is good, heed it.   :D

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 01:47:19 PM »
I stand corrected.  I was confused about this myself.  Your info makes sense since gravity pulls everything down.  The graphs and tables just make one think otherwise. The 30-30 just has a more downward arc.  The program at Remington will help but shooting time is important.  A good shooting range is priceless.  South Carolina still has public rifle ranges  out to 200 yards but I wonder how long with all the sue happy people around and the safety police watching.