Author Topic: New winchester!  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Muddy05

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
New winchester!
« on: July 21, 2005, 02:48:55 AM »
Im trying to decide on a classic featherweight or a sporter. I know absolutly nothing about winchester rifles except my 94 ranger. If there is something better than those 2 for whitetail hunting please give me some suggestions. And are those synthetic winchester rifles from wal-mart any count???
Go 214th!!

Offline idahoelk101

New winchester!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 09:48:25 AM »
The difference will be mainly stock and barrel profile.  The featherweight will have a sightly thinner area around the chamber and barrel than the sporter.  You didnt mention caliber you were thinking about but if you are looking for an all around deer/medium game rifle you can do alot worse than either.  My sugestion would be go to a sporting goods store and handle both, and when you decide buy it there.  I am not a walmart fan and for the few bucks that you might pay extra it is worth it for them to be there for you when you want to "try" on another rifle.  Now for caliber choices in the featherwieght as much as I dont like them I would look at one of the WSM cals or somthing like 243 or 308.  If you are comfortable with the sporter than maybe a 30-06 or the like.  Think of this experience like buying a new pair of boots, try them on walk in them, see how they look, and then pick your favorite. (for what it is worth the "package guns" at Wally world are specificly put together for them but the others are standard issue as far as I know) Good luck and get a big one! :-)

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
New winchester!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 04:09:44 AM »
You might look at the Winchester Super Shadow, pick it up and shoulder it. I have one in 270 WSM, 3/4 "  out of the box, love the rifle, not very heavy. Best yet, it was $400 at Wally World!

Offline Ramrod

New winchester!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 02:58:07 PM »
For deer hunting, get the Featherweight, and don't even look at the stuff Wallyworld sells. You will have something you will be proud to pass on to your kids. :D
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline dharvey

New winchester!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 12:29:22 AM »
For deer hunting, get the Featherweight, and don't even look at the stuff Wallyworld sells. You will have something you will be proud to pass on to your kids.

If you are sold on any particular American made rifle and you don't have a good sporting goods store nearby, chances are you do have a Wal-mart and you can custom order guns through the store. Go to Wal-mart's home page and you can access their special order guns info through the sporting goods section.

http://www.walmart.com/guns?path=0%3A4125%3A4155%3A170080

You can even get the Winchester Featherweight in both Left and Right hand models in the new WSM calibers. :wink:

Offline Baddwuf

New winchester!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 01:53:17 PM »
Look at the Compact's, about 6lbs

Offline Muskie Hunter

• Avid Poster
New winchester!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 02:27:00 PM »
Muddy,
I have a Winchester Featherweight in 30-06.I guess it is in the neighborhood of 15 years old or so.I had a 30-06 Remington 700 bdl which was a really nice rifle too but the Winchester Featherweight is such a joy to carry all day hunting up and down the hills.I never have had a problem with keeping my shot groups under an 1-1/2",even with the slim 22 inch barrel.I mounted a Leupold 2x7 scope on it to help keep the weight down and this has proven to be a" go to first" rifle for me.No matter which one you choose,lightweight or sporter,you'll get used to the weight for hunting,just don't over scope it by mounting a big,long, heavy scope on it.
Vietnam, 66-67, 173 rd. Airborne Brigade, point man, tunnel rat
Vietnam 68, 82 nd. Airborne Div. , sniper.
NRA Member