Author Topic: What do you wear?  (Read 427 times)

Offline RTBRICK

• Trade Count: (0)
What do you wear?
« on: September 11, 2005, 01:50:23 PM »
You know, I see as many successful hunters dressed in jeans and a camouflage shirt (maybe) as I do those with full scent-lok sniper-looking ghillie suit.  I would guess that distance to the game (rifle versus bow) and scent plays a big role, but there are so many choices on the clothing market that it gets confusing.  

So, what does everyone wear?  I've been thinking about a lightweight set of coveralls for warmer season and maybe a lined set for colder weather.  I can just wear whatever underneath, right?

Offline rockbilly

What do you wear?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 02:09:53 PM »
:D Boy, talk about opening up a bucket of worms.

I own several sets of camo, jeans, shirts, jackets and coveralls.  When I hunt, I usually wear them, I even like to wear camp when bass fishing. (they say the bass can't see ya as well?) .  As for wearing them hunting, I'm sure they give you an advantage when bow or pistol hunting, but I am not convinced they are necessary when rifle hunting.  I would never consider a solid white shirt, but other than that I have worn every color of the rainbow at some point.  As far as I know, it never stopped me from making a kill.

If you are wearing coveralls, there is no reason you can't wear any thing you want under them.

Scent........thats a different story.  I do think scent can make a big difference in your success, but here again, it is not as important when rifle hunting as it is when bow or pistol hunting.  I have set in a blind puffing on a cigarette and still managed to see plenty of game.  I have smoked a butt, walked to a ground blind with my bow and seen deer sniff me out and turn away.  Since I quit and started using scent cover things have gotten better.

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
What do you wear?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 02:55:10 PM »
At least around here where I hunt at in Ohio, the vast majority wear what they wear when working on the farm...brown duck colored carhartts or walls overalls/coveralls, with an orange vest or coat over top.  I haven't really had much difficulty bagging a deer during gun or muzzleloader season wearing this clothing.  If you were to ask me, I would say that sitting still, and being aware of the direction the wind is blowing has more to do with getting deer close as opposed to what you're wearing.  I usually have a rub of snuff in when hunting, and have had deer come to within 10yds. of me.  It's just a matter of being still, and moving slowly if you do have to move, and being sure that the wind isn't blowing in the deer's direction, and you should be alright.  Just one guy's experience.

~~~Cattleskinner
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline Dave in WV

What do you wear?
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 03:47:55 PM »
IMO when it's cold you don't want to wear cotton for warmth. If you sweat you'll stay wet and get cold. I like wool or some synthetics. Military polypro long underwear works good. I buy the all synthetic fleece tops at places like Walmart or Kmart on sale for $10-$15 and they work good too. If I get too warm I take off a layer. When it's really cold here I start with a layer of thin polypro long underwear with military polypro over that.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Savage .250

What do you wear?
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 03:55:47 AM »
I`ve bought a lot of hunting clothes over the years all in the name of staying warm and dry.  Some stuff has worked out very nice while other stuff was kind of stored away for some reason or another.
  About 10 years ago i bought some camo coveralls / hood and Thinsulate insulation from Cabela`s. I`m here to tell you i`ve never been more happy with anything then those coveralls.  Nothing gets in those boys.
  I don`t care what the weather is like( rain, snow, wind, just plain cold )
  I`m as warm as toast.  Course if it`s warm then you wear something else.  

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."