Author Topic: Hot loads versus standard?  (Read 677 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Hot loads versus standard?
« on: October 06, 2005, 05:57:29 AM »
I read of how some shooters like to shoot +P (hot loads) and wonder why?  My friend years ago liked the hot stuff as it was "what the cops use".  I never liked the recoil or what that stuff was doing to shorten the life of my handguns.

Prefering standard loads, I do keep some types of ammo like the 158 grained .357 magnum, and Magtech .357 magnum for hunting and home defense.  However, I would not feel right about going to the range and shooting 1-2 boxes of this stuff on a regular basis.

What is the percentage of hot versus standard loads that you people use on a regular basis in all your handguns?

Thanks.

Offline Castaway

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 06:40:43 AM »
I'm like you, 0ver 90% of my shooting is with "plinkers."  I save the wrist bending stuff for hunting.

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
hot loads
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 07:38:57 AM »
Once in a great while I run a hot rod load but for the most part I run standard or lite loads.

I don't know about the Magtech 357's, but the other day I ran some Magtech 44 Mags over the chrony and they were running pretty slow, around 1080 fps from a six inch barrel.  I'd call that a bit stiffer than midrange, but pretty light for a standard 44 Mag load.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 08:06:12 AM »
I used to just go gaga over the hot loads I shot out of my 454 Casull and 44 mag. but with advancing age I've come to believe I can have just as much fun with milder loads and my wrist and elbow will last a lot longer.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Questor

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 08:31:02 AM »
The thought never really enters my mind. I work from the bullet performance and work  backward toward the gun.
Safety first

Offline KN

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 12:17:27 PM »
It's kind of like owning a hot rod. Lots of fun when you "open her up".   KN

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 12:45:25 PM »
Quote from: KN
It's kind of like owning a hot rod. Lots of fun when you "open her up".   KN

yep.  but just like a hotrod,  running it wide open will cost you in fuel, and added wear and tear.    i make my ammo to match my hunting purpose, and then practice and hunt with that.    my main quarry is whitetails, but we do have big, brave blackies here so i run them about mid range power.   i am using cast bullets, so they should blow right thorugh.  were i using hollow points, i would run them at max.  

as far as hotrodding a cartridge, i generally dont.  the only exceptions i think that would be justified would be a 45 colt out of a stout revolver.   otherwise,  if you need more power,  get a cartridge designed for it.  

i never exceed reloading manuel specs for any given cartridge; the manuel is my bible.

Offline KN

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 04:13:28 PM »
I'm not flaming or any thing, my comment was more observational than any thing. My point was that most people shooting full house cannons certainly don't "need" the extra power. Just like hot rodding, its just fun. I confess that I seem to fall into that category from time to time. One of my most enjoyable  pistols to shoot is a 10" Encore in 45/70 with full house loads. Why? Just because. It usually turn into a "hey, can I fire that thing" conversation with the other shooters around you. I certainly don't advocate shooting bunnies with 50BMG. But you gotta admit, most people at the range would love to shoot a 50 if given the chance.   KN

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 04:18:36 PM »
I go for accuracy over hot loading.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
hot rod loads
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 02:16:02 AM »
In most chamberings I run standard or lite loads.  But there are a few chamberings that sort of beg for hotrodding, such as the 32-20, 44 Special, 45 Colt, etc.

The awful truth is that I run the same bullet out of my 44 Special faster than out of my 44 Mag, the mag living on midrange loads.

You have to use a lttle common sense though.  You have to have brass and a gun that are up to the job.  I'd never dream of a hot rod 45 load in my Colt New Service.

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 11:22:37 AM »
I'm with him, I shoot for accuracy. Every bullet style will shoot its best at slightly different powder/grain combos. In my .44mag as long as it is a heavy cast clicking along at 900 fps or more, I'm happy. The cast I use (290 WFP) performs best from my SBH using WW296 @ 1350 fps. Less than max load but still stout. I don't get any joy from hard hitting loads, leave them for the young guys.
Rick

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 02:48:01 PM »
I find this reloading topic very interesting. I enjoy reading from those that are engaged in this hobby. Some day I am going to be forced into this area, if I continue to seek out weapons for which ammo is scarce or high priced or in need of softening.
I think the truth is, from my readings here and there, that there may be as many or more who load soft as opposed to those that wildcat or load hot.
A lot of the games folks, ie, cowboy action and other of the modern handgun games tend to find soft loads which will still perform on the targets prepared for these games.
Accuracy buffs tend to look for loads, hot or mild, which give the best accuracy for the particular bullet of the day.
Some sports, bowling pins and such come to mind, and these may require hot loads, though I think caliber is more of the norm than the loads.
Just my observations though and still admitting that many just like to  hot rod.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD