Author Topic: 12 Ga Survivor [Project gun] a good idea?  (Read 653 times)

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
12 Ga Survivor [Project gun] a good idea?
« on: September 13, 2005, 10:11:56 PM »
Opinions and ideas please.    8)

I'm looking into building a 12 gauge Survivor from my .308 SB2 Survivor, to have as truck gun/camp gun/longarm-on-the-trail-while-hiking gun.

What I'm thinking is getting a 12 gauge barrel fitted to my SB2 receiver, but then cutting it off at 18 1/2 inches and leaving it "CYLINDER" choked (no choke actually).

I'd carry saboted-slugs for big critters like grizzlies or wolves if it was really necessary, but I could also shoot buckshot or birdshot for camp meat or in a real survival situation.  Plus I also have some marine-type aerial flares for signaling.

What are people's opinions?  Do you believe this would be a practical firearm?  12 gauge with a [legally] short barrel that could take game to 30 yards, or big game if necessary?

In grizzly country I'd usually be packing a .357 wheelgun besides the singleshot 12 gauge "Survivor."

Thanks for any input.

Offline Couger

Maybe a Tracker I barrel .....
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 10:23:45 PM »
Hmmm .......

After reading a couple other threads, maybe I should check with NEF and the Barrel Accessory Program to see if I could get a smoothbore Tracker I barrel (if one is available) fitted to my SB2 receiver.  Quicker/cheaper way to go.

But how practical is a 12 gauge "Survivor?"

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 08:26:34 AM »
Couger, a link to a thread about a 12ga truck gun.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=68605

Hope you find helpful info here.

Nixter

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 01:07:13 PM »
If I were you I'd get a 22" mod choke barrel through the barrel accessory program. The mod choke will be better in the game getting department and you will be fine shooting the good old cheap slugs. I have this set up with a regular synthetic stock and a storearm fore end. It carries like a dream.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Critter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 02:20:02 AM »
I think Markus is on the right track.  There is no reason to shoot sabots in a smoothbore.  A 22" mod barrel would do a lot more in the woods than a 18 1/2" cylinder bore.  Lots of fellers on here have great luck with the regular foster slugs with a mod choke.  Other than that is sounds like a grand plan, don't forget a good sling.

Offline Couger

Thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 02:37:32 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I hadn't forgotten about a sling but failed to mention it.  Besides string things in the butt stock and "storearm," I'd carry extra shells on a web sleeve on the but stock and possibly the sling if I found a method/design I liked.

As for Foster versus BRI-type slugs, the Foster slugs loose velocity much much faster than the BRI slugs.  If I ever ran into a four-legged people-eater on the trail (cougars, wolves, or bears) I really like the idea a fifty-caliber lead hourglass slamming into their boilerroom than a Foster slug.

Also, EnvironMetal - the folks who make @Hevi-Shot offer three 'Dead Coyote' buckshot loads (one each in 12 gauge 2 3/4", 3", and 3 1/2") loaded with "T" size buckshot, made from Hevi-Shot (not @Hevi-Steel).  I wonder how versatile and effective such a load would be.

I'm still going to go with an 18 1/2" tube as the compactness is one of the features I'm striving for.  A cylinder bore will indeed likely limit range compared to a modified choke, but for a "survival" piece 25-30 yards ought to be plenty.  I've shot blue grouse with a .410 Contender and a 12 gauge Survivor ought to give at least twice that range given the larger shot-load and more pellets.  This gun isn't to hunt with per se, but to serve as a companion tool on the trail or in camp.

Again thanks for the input.  I was surprised with the MANY other projects others have had making their own "Survivor" NEF singleshots.  Using the .45/70 or .50 S&W has also crossed my mind.  Also reboring a .410/.45 Colt to accept a .454 Casull if it could handle the pressure.