Author Topic: Dove and Goose season coming soon.  (Read 352 times)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Dove and Goose season coming soon.
« on: August 22, 2005, 10:48:56 AM »
Ok now that I have had a go at the crows I'm ready for so real hunting.  Marylands Dove and early Goose season comes in on the 1st of Sept.  Man I can't wait !!!!  Got opening day all palnned out...  Going to a friends In-laws farm to hunt gooose in the morning, then off to the dove fields for an afternoon of shooting dove.  I think preparing for a hunt is almost as fun as the hunt its self.  I stop at the public dove field every day after work and just sit and watch how the dove are coming to and out of the field.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 02:44:25 PM »
Dave my friend, you are living the life. I'm sure I'll miss the dove opener again this year. The worst part is that I have two invites from buddies that have great dove patches planted in sunflowers. Alas I have bills to pay and like a dummy I've gotten myself into a position at work that I'm a little to needed this time of year. Have a great time and do your best to thin out those big fat resi geese.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 12:13:40 PM »
Ok here is the score card on todays opening day...   2 Geese taken with my Charles Daly Maxi mag.  Paid a young man at the farm 5 bucks to clean them. Then on to the Dove fields.  We got there at 10 AM hunting don't start until 12 noon the little parking area was already almost full ( I got the last good parking place.  Went to the area of the field I had been scouting for the last month and loard and behold there was about five guys standing in my spot.  Well not to be out done I sat about 40 yrds from them and watch how the birds were reacting to all the people in the field.  Me and my buddy moved to the far end of the field where the birds were coming out of a draw of trees between this field and the river.  Well it worked out good for us.  We were getting allot of first shots on the ingoing birds.   I limted out at around 4:30pm I shot my 20 ga 870 for the early part of the day then I switched over to my H&R/NEF single shots.  I killed as many dove the singles as I did with the pump.  All in all a good day of hunting !!!!
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 04:27:13 PM »
Glad you had a good day afield. I spent the first day working. I had some great invites too. Saturday was looking like it was going to work out but now my 39 year old wife has CHICKEN POX. Looks like the doves don't have to worry about me any time soon. I saw about 200 resident geese in the air this evening in their normal area were they are impossible to hunt.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 11:10:31 AM »
Hey sorry it took me so long to response to your post.  I hope your wife is feeling better.  Belive me I know how she felt,  I didn't get the chicken Pox until I was 24 man you just ain't got enough hands to scrach the itch.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)