Author Topic: 9/11 vs Katrina  (Read 777 times)

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
9/11 vs Katrina
« on: September 10, 2005, 04:19:24 AM »
All the news folk are making comparisons between 9/11 and Katrina now and wondering why we did so much better with 9/11.

In my opinion, there is absolutely no comparison to make.  In 9/11, altho loss of life was greater, the area affected was extremely localized.  No infrastructure was destroyed.  Getting to the scene was easy, power was available, roads were undamaged except in the immediate area, Communications, altho clogged with folk calling around checking on friends/family was up and running.  There were a lot of dead, but relatively few "refugees" to house, clothe, and feed.  The event was also an attack from an outside enemy, which pulled people together in a patriotic way.  It was just a different animal.  No comparison to make.

Katrina absolutely destroyed all the infrastructure, there was no communication for days.  Vast amounts of housing was destroyed, creating many 10s of thousands of refugees that needed taking care of. Getting supplies to the scene was all but impossible except in small boats and helicopters.  Fox News reported that the affected area was 90,000 square miles.   Can you fathom providing assistance in a couple days notice to residents of an area that huge?

Don't get me wrong, it could have been done better, but to compare the two as if they were the same is just ridiculous.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline jgalar

• Trade Count: (0)
9/11 vs Katrina
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 03:14:47 AM »
I agree

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
9/11 vs Katrina
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 03:17:38 AM »
Haywire - I agree with ya Buddy - there is no comparison.  

One was an assault by terrorists, the other a naturally occuring environmental disaster.  9/11 demanded a federal response, Katrina demands a local response first then federal assistance if the states cannot meet the needs.  

With 9/11 we had no warning, period.  With Katrina, even the President called the LA Governor, but being a dumbocrat she didn't listen.  

With 9/11 the people responded to help and asked how they could help.  With Katrina, the people blamed the President and then went on to loot, burn and rape in the absence of a visible authority.  

You're right, there is no comparison at all.  Mikey.

Offline Shorty

9/11 vs Katrina
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 08:05:41 AM »
The ONLY comparison is that it's something the Demo's will blame on Bush.  It need not be reasonable, for them.  :roll:

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
9/11 vs Katrina
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 11:03:24 AM »
Not sure where you got the idea the death toll was greater in 9-11, at this time there is no real handle on death toll from Katrina. I'm quite sure it will be far higher tho.

In MS especially and in some areas of LA there are entire cities GONE. Just totally wiped from the face of the earth. That doesn't come without loss of life no matter how prepared you are. I feel certain many were washed out to sea with the receding waters after the storm surge. How many we may never know.

The scale of the destruction between the two events is not even remotely comparable. Rather than a few blocks being affected we have many thousands of square miles destroyed. Both are horrible events but there really just is no comparison other than as stated the dumocraps blame Bush for both. And they are as right that he was responsible for the hurricane as he was for 9-11.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
9/11 vs Katrina
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 12:27:36 PM »
Correct Graybeard.... There is no comparison between an act of war, and a natural disaster. I have worked at the World Trade Center and the NO
Convention center (IBM). I am from NY. Perhaps some of you oldtimers remember how the country pulled together after Pearl Harbor. I was born
shortly after WWII, and remember the patriotism. The biggest shock of my lifetime was the almost immediate blame placing of these tragic events
and the non pulling together of the majority of our citizens... Just a different country, from how I was raised and taught.... That regardless
we stand together, UNITED>>>>> Looting? I could go on and on!

Offline Haywire Haywood

9/11 vs Katrina
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 01:05:58 PM »
Quote from: Graybeard
Not sure where you got the idea the death toll was greater in 9-11, at this time there is no real handle on death toll from Katrina. I'm quite sure it will be far higher tho.

You may very well be right, I was going on the reports that the death toll in New Orleans appears to be far less than they anticipated.

Ian

usually...

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
9/11 vs Katrina
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 07:17:19 AM »
I also don't recall hearing reports of "victims" taking shots at rescue personnel coming to help them after the WTC attack either.  What the %$#$ is wrong with these people?!  Are they all on drugs or something?
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Haywire Haywood

9/11 vs Katrina
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 10:14:07 AM »
I was curious about the death toll of 9/11, as my memory had it real high.  I found an archived news article that reported the official number being 2,792 as of Dec 14 of that year.  In my befuddled memory it was 3 times that. :oops: I can see where Katrina could surpass that.

Ian

usually...

Offline Arick the Red

9/11 vs Katrina
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 08:24:47 AM »
I know it may sound a little odd coming from a 22 year old, but I miss the good ole days.  I may not have been around for the experience of them, but I have heard the stories from my grandparents, and great grandparents that are still around.  From the World Wars and Pearl Harbor, someone earlier mentioned patriotism, what a wonderful thing...I saw glimpses of people proud to be Americans and proud of our "Heroes" and our president after 9/11, but those feelings soured so quickly.  Now with Katrina, there is complete chaos in New Orleans.  People shooting at rescue helicopters??  In Bible study at church this week, an elderly man made the trip down to LA to see if his family was ok.  His son in law and another neighbor had to take turns guarding their neighborhood (wasn't completely wiped out) against looters.  His son in law's neighbor actually had to shoot on of them to keep them from the houses.  He didn't kill him, but apparently wounded the looter.  I was just thinking to myself, what has this world come to?

9/11 and Katrina are too different.  I don't think any president could have dealt with those two tragedies and came away a "popular president."
:sniper: Whop!:sniper: Whop!    Dead Dog! :D

Offline IntrepidWizard

9/11 vs Katrina
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 08:27:20 AM »
Things I have learned from watching the news on TV during the last eight
days:

The hurricane only hit black family's property

New Orleans was devastated and no other city was affected by the
hurricane

Mississippi is reported to have a tree blown down

New Orleans has no white people

The hurricane blew a limb off a tree in the yard of an Alabama resident

When you are hungry after a hurricane steal a big screen TV

The hurricane did 23 billion dollars in improvements to New Orleans: now
the city is welfare, looters and gang free and they are in your city.

White folks don't make good news stories

Don't give thanks to the thousands that came to help rescue you, instead
bitch because the government hasn't given you a debit card yet

Only black family members got separated in the hurricane rescue
efforts

Ignore warnings to evacuate and the white folks will come get you and
give you money for being stupid

Damn, I feel so sorry for all those black folks.  The only way it could
have been worse was to be white.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington