Author Topic: Leupold Alumina Intensifier Filter Kit  (Read 582 times)

Offline Simmmo

• Trade Count: (0)
Leupold Alumina Intensifier Filter Kit
« on: September 17, 2005, 07:46:07 AM »
Hello I have a 4200 elite 6-24x40mm and I was wondering whether it is possible to fit a Leupold Alumina Intensifier Filter Kit to it, or if not how easy it would be to make a step up or down attachment to enable this to be done.

Andy

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 11:00:02 AM »
Why? What in the world do you think it's gonna add? The thing is just a filter pure and simple. Filters all have one thing in common. The REDUCE the amount of light passing thru them. Now depending on what wave length of light it filters out it can make things appear different thus their use for special effects in cameras. But in a rifle scope? Sorry it's a cheap gimmick to make more money for Leupold. If you want the effect just wear yellow tinted shooting glasses. Then you get it both when looking thru the scope and when not.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 02:30:11 PM »
Ditto on what GB said.  If you have a 4200 you already have what Leupold is trying to copy.  They put the raincoating along with filters in kits to charge the unsuspecting consumer more money.  This coating and filter is nothing Bushnell hasn't already invented.  It is just Leupold attempt to the rain guard coating and the amber bright coating Bushnell uses.

Offline UtahMike

• Rem. 22-250AI Etronx, Bush., 3200 -- 5-15x50
    • http://home.comcast.net/~hale.michael/wsb/index.html
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 05:02:58 PM »
I'm certain Leupold will make a bundle on the filters, however there are times when a certain color will allow you to see, a little later in the evening, or a little better on overcast days, or just to keep the rain off, who knows.  I haven't bought them yet, maybe never who knows,  It's just like most "extras" we put on our weapons, ya don't need em', but sometimes it's just fun.  
By the way I finally got my 6.5-20x50 LRT varmint reticle a couple of days ago. It's sighted in, and I love it.   Thanks, Mike

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 02:57:39 AM »
Do the filters screw on like on a camera lense?  If so, something like a U/V filter wouldn't reduce the light to much, and might offer some protection for the lense behind it........other than protection, I see very little need........
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater