Author Topic: Scopes  (Read 911 times)

Offline massenrg

• Trade Count: (0)
Scopes
« on: September 25, 2005, 07:58:41 AM »
Hi,

I'm wondering how to shop for a scope to be mounted on a 30.06.  

What characteristics should one look for when shopping for quality.  The price differential between makes is substantial.  For example Leupolds and Nikkons are considerably more expensive than Simmons and Bushnell.  Why?  What  do the more expensive makes have that the cheaper ones do not?
Thanks.

Offline Aaro

• Avid Poster
Price Range
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 08:27:26 AM »
Give a pricerange and we will give you good scopes in your range. A leupold will be better than a BSA or a Bushnell but the price is a big issue. Thousands of deer have been killed with 50 dollar scopes.
"If guns kill people I can blame mispelled words on my pencil"
                                                             -Larry The Cable Guy :-D

Offline Dave in WV

Scopes
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 09:13:57 AM »
You pay more for better quality glass (I mean the actual glass),  better engineering, better materials, and better coatings. All of that together gives you better light transmission (brighter), better clarity (sharper image), and more durability. When my eyes started going south I started buying better optics. If Nikon has a scope in the Monarch line that met my needs, I'd buy one before a Leupold VX 3 and save $150. Is the price of a Leupold VX 2, Nikon Monarch, Burris Signature, or Bushnell Elite 4200 worth the price? They are to me. Young eyes can make up for so-so optics to a degree. Older eyes usually can't. That said, if a scope holds zero, can be focused for the owner, and doesn't fog it's usually good to go whether it's a cheap scope or an expensive one.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Lawdog

Re: Scopes
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 01:10:39 PM »
Quote from: massenrg
Hi,

What characteristics should one look for when shopping for quality.  The price differential between makes is substantial.  For example Leupolds and Nikkons are considerably more expensive than Simmons and Bushnell.  Why?  What  do the more expensive makes have that the cheaper ones do not?
Thanks.

Your budget, type of deer hunting done and ranges you shoot at would be information needed before we can give you scope options for you to choose from.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Scopes
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 01:18:06 PM »
Quote from: massenrg
Hi,

Thanks.

Quality is what you pay for. Take a scope out when it is dusk or dawn or low light condition. The cheaper scopes are not as clear or bright as a better made scope. I see it like this, if I can't see it, I can't shoot it. Get the best scope you can afford and you won't de disappointed unless your expectations are higher then the quality of optics you buy.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline iiibbb

• Contributor
Scopes
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 02:33:35 PM »
The characteristic I favor most is eye relief... Leupolds give you a ton of room between the ocular and your eye.  Plus lifetime warrantee.

I have a VX1 and a VX2 and to be honest, I don't notice a huge difference between them.

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
Scopes
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 03:51:35 AM »
For a lifetime deer rifle, spend all you can and you will never have to replace the scope.    A cheap scope will be praised only if it lasts.   The good scopes will last and be a good investment.    I have several Leupold scopes than have been different rifles.

pepaw

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
Scopes
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 06:07:08 AM »
If you're looking for a variable, the 3-9x is tough to beat for all around use in my opinion.  Several manufactures make very good to excellent scopes in this magnification range and it boils down to what you want and how much are you willing to spend.  I have been very impressed with my Nikon Monarch 3-9X that sits on my 280.  So impressed, that I plan on getting one for my 243.  You can pick 'em up from the optic zone for $259 last check.  That's just one option though.  Several guys will praise the Bushnell Elites, Leupolds, Burris's, and what not so there are just way too many to list.  One thing I'll add is that with a 30-06 class rifle I'd personally opt for around 3.5" of eye relief or more.

Offline smoky

• Contributor
    • http://www.cattletoday.com/sscc
Scopes
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 09:06:31 AM »
In my opinion, the clarity of most optics is sufficient for most big game hunting situations.  I realize that the more expensive ones have better glass, however I would venture to say that 99% of the time you could see the animal, take aim and shoot through the scope.

So for me, what sets the better scopes apart from the cheaper ones is the internal workings of the scope.  That is, the ability for the scope to give positive adjustment (i.e. if you adjust the scope 3/4 of an inch, it actually moves 3/4 of an inch!) and MOST IMPORTANTLY, its ability to hold zero.  This is where cheaper, lower quality scopes have failed me in the past.

I have been a leupold shooter for a long time for the reason listed above.  There scopes are just plain true!  Now I will admit that when I first started shooting leupold, there was a bigger gap in quality between it and the junk you could buy for around $150 or less.   I still think leupold is a good buy and a lifetime investment, however it does appear to me that there are some quality scopes in the $150-$250 range.

So if your budget allows, I would say that the $300 plus dollar scopes of most manufactures (leupold II's and III's, bushnell elite 4200's, nikon monarchs, high end burros, etc) are well worth the money.  If you have to limit yourself to say $150 or so, then certain others such as simmons aetec, bushnell elite 3200's, nikon buckmaster's will suffice.  I would in no circumstances trust a hard earned deer hunt on a wally world special in the $69 price range.  And if you think about it, even a $1,000 scope cost spread over 20 years is only $50/year which is minimal to the overall annual cost of hunting, at least mine anyway.

My 2 Cents,

Smoky
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Scopes
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 07:04:52 AM »
I do a fair amount of my hunting at dusk and I like the Bushnell 3200. I'm sure there are scopes with better glass and better light transmission, but I believe you start getting into diminishing returns.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline rockbilly

Scopes
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 04:15:04 PM »
:D Today most of my scoped firearms are sporting Leupolds, but one of the best scopes I have ever owned is a 4x Bushnell.  I couldn't afford anything better when I bought it back in 1960.  It is still mounted on the BSA 30-06 that I bought it for.  I rarely use the gun anymore, but it still shoots 1-1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards.  This combination has killed more deer and elk than II can remember.  The old gun and scope have bounced around on a horse, or in a jeep all over Texas, New Mexico and Colorado.  I wonder if some of the high dollar scopes would take the abuse the old Bushnell has.

Offline Jimi

• Avid Poster
Scopes
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 10:54:58 AM »
My only advice it to buy absolutely the best scope that you can afford... and like so many things, there are no "bargains" out there. You get what you pay for and the more expensive scopes are better than the less expensive ones.

Growing up in a good American hunting family I was raised with the idea that good enough is good enough. We were happy to have a Redfield. But when I first hunted in Africa I was introduced to Zeiss and Swarovski optics and once I tasted it I could never turn back. Clarity, light transmission, and purity of the reticle all come into play. It is a joy to glass a field with a good scope, and headache inducing with a cheap one. The PH's over there cannot figure out how Americans can feel good about buying a $1,000+ rifle and putting a $200 scope on it.

It might be tough for you to justify a Swarovski, Zeiss or Bender & Schmidt, but I would strongly encourage you to find a way to afford a Leupold.

Another feature that makes these scopes valuable it that the quality of the glass and coatings last infinitely longer than the cheaper scopes.
WWJD?(What Would Jimi Do?)

Offline kenscot

• Contributor
Scopes
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005, 11:09:29 AM »
I have remington, ruger, browning, NEF & marlin rifles but only leupold scopes

Offline beemanbeme

Scopes
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 04:18:41 AM »
Your choice of scopes depends a lot on what you're hunting and where you're hunting.  Just don't make the mistake of assuming bigger is better.  Except for, perhaps, varmint shooting, I can't imagine a 4x16x50 scope on a hunting rifle.  I can imagine a 2x7x40 or a 1.5x5x20 as I have used a number of those over the years.  Light, agile, with a large field of view.  My go to elk rifle is a .300WM with a 1.5x5 Burris scope on it.  I have used it for a number of years and have never felt in the least handicapped with that rig.  3x9x40 is about the top end that you'll need or want to have on your 30-06.  Don't forget the fixed power scopes.  You get quite a bit more scope for less money with fewer internal parts that can go wrong.  Most of us, when we bought our first 3x9 scope, couldn't keep our hands off of it for the first year.  Constantly changing power settings to fit our supposed needs with the slightest change in terrain.  The second year, we spent less time fooling with the scope and more time hunting.  By the third year, it was a kinda "set it and forget it" thing.  FYI, I have known several hunters that have missed game because they couldn't locate it because they were on too high a power setting with the resulting small field of view.  I've never known anyone to miss a head of game because their scope was "underpowered".  
The scopes we have to choose from today, even the cheap ones, would have been top-of-the line, cutting-edge not too, too many years ago.  Keep in mind, however, that the cost of scopes is an excellent example of deminishing returns.  You can pay a helluva lot more for scope A and only get a slight amount of quality over scope B. It is a failing of ours to assume because something cost a lot more, it is a lot better.  Its also our nature, once we've spent the extra money, to try to justify the purchase with claims that are sometimes more smoke and mirrors than fact.  Often, its an ego thing. What I'm trying to say is you don't need a $1000 scope on a rifle to kill a deer; or an elk.  But then, a $25, made in Ethiopia, thingy that you pull out of the bargain basket at K Mart might be a sort of reverse overkill also.  You notice I've talked a lot without saying anything about WHICH scope to buy.  That's because I have several different brands that I use.  They are all good, and they have all stood the test of time.  I think if you pay @ $200-$300 for a Weaver, Burris, Nikon, Leupold scope, you can get a good one.  Hell, I know a guy that has a 3x9 BSA (think cheap) on his rifle and gets his meat every year.