Author Topic: Why Isn't.................  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Why Isn't.................
« on: August 06, 2005, 02:36:02 PM »
I posted this on the Bear Hunting forum but I would really like the opinions of those that hunt the Western States.

Got to talking to a few other bear hunters and the question came up, Why isn't hunting Black Bears more popular in the lower 48 states than it is?  Which brings to mind this question, What can be done to increase the popularity of Black Bear hunting?  Lets keep the answers as it pertains to your state.

In California I believe that the cost combined with the fact that hunting Black Bears is much harder than deer hunting that many just don't want to give it a try.  Here I believe that lowering the cost of tags and increasing the number of tags would be of some help.  Add to that if DFG would let hunters use bait stations more that would increase the interest in hunting Black Bears by making it somewhat easier.  Just some of my thoughts on this.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 05:17:16 PM »
In my state, bears feed on bait stations at night mostly.  Unless we just happen upon one during deer or elk hunting, we usually don't see but a flash of their butt as they go over the top of the next hill.

The people that usually score on bears are the bow hunters during the early season on elk.  Of course, those same bow hunters are the people that the grizz score on.

I would rather hunt rifle season.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Longcruise

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 07:48:43 AM »
What can be done to increase the popularity of Black Bear hunting?

Why would you want to increase the popularity of bear hunting? :?   Are you an outfitter?

Bear hunting probably can't stand to get any more popular in my state (CO).  Just about all the tags available are taken up every year.  Since spring hunting and bait and hounds were outlawed, bear hunting has become even more popular and bear harvest is higher than in the days of bait hunting.

Hunters here learned how, when and where to hunt bears in the fall and success is higher than ever.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 09:54:19 AM »
Longcruise,

Why would you want to increase the popularity of bear hunting?  :?   Are you an outfitter?

Why would I want to increase the popularity of bear hunting?  Try a Black Bear population that is out of control, 35,500+ according to the 2001 census that was taken, here in California.  I would rather see the Black Bear population controlled by hunting than letting some “know it all” politicians take over.  No I am not an outfitter.  Just a guy who would rather hunt all types of Bears than most other big game.  I too like hunting in Colorado.  I took a nice Grizzly there in the mid 1960's and several nice Black Bears before and since not to mention a bunch of nice Mule Deer.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Longcruise

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 11:29:15 AM »
I too like hunting in Colorado. I took a nice Grizzly there in the mid 1960's

If you took a nice grizzley in CO in the mid '60's and if the law is reading this, you can expect them to be knocking on your door soon!!! :)

I guess if you have an over pop of black bears in CA then you should probably adress the question the the CA hunters.

I can tell you that when CO hunters learned more about black bear behaviour and biology they became very successful at hunting them in Sept without dogs or bait.

Get ahold of the colorado DOW and ask them for Tom Becks book on his bear research.  I advise you not to mention the grizzley :-D

Offline NONYA

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 11:59:05 AM »
Here in Montana we cant use bait or dogs so it is a very difficult spot and stalk situation,I am lucky enough to have a family with private land with a great bear population,because I know where to look for them at different times of the year I have been very succesful,very few people i know get a bear with any regularity its just a matter of running into one while hunting deer and elk.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 09:58:54 AM »
Quote from: Longcruise
I too like hunting in Colorado. I took a nice Grizzly there in the mid 1960's

If you took a nice grizzley in CO in the mid '60's and if the law is reading this, you can expect them to be knocking on your door soon!!! :)

I guess if you have an over pop of black bears in CA then you should probably adress the question the the CA hunters.

I can tell you that when CO hunters learned more about black bear behaviour and biology they became very successful at hunting them in Sept without dogs or bait.

Get ahold of the colorado DOW and ask them for Tom Becks book on his bear research.  I advise you not to mention the grizzley :-D

Sorry but the DOW already knows about the Grizzly.  It was one of their officers(he was checking our licenses) that told me to shoot it mistaking it for a hugh dark brown Black Bear( I was the only one that had a license for a bear).  I was all of 17 at the time so I figured being who he was he knew what it was.  Couldn't make out the bears head or most of the front shoulders, he was digging into the side of the hill after something.  Worked within 150 yards and put a 180 gr. Partition out of my .300 Weatherby where it did the most good(not for the bear though).  Upshot of it was that the officer wrote a letter of explanation and let me keep the bear.  All registered with the Colorado Department of Wildlife.  Lawdog

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 05:58:14 PM »
Too bad Nevada doesn't have game wardens like those you encountered.

DOH!!!  :oops:

I couldn't help myself.

RR

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 01:15:12 PM »
Quote from: Rogue Ram
Too bad Nevada doesn't have game wardens like those you encountered.

DOH!!!  :oops:

I couldn't help myself.

RR

You know I have hinted Nevada off and on(mostly on) for over 30 years and never had a problem with any of the "wardens" that we have run into.  Some have been not as sociable as others but they were usually in a hurry.  Many have sat and had a cup of coffee and passed on valuable information on deer/bear movements.  Go figure.  Lawdog

Offline Longcruise

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 06:42:25 AM »
Upshot of it was that the officer wrote a letter of explanation and let me keep the bear. All registered with the Colorado Department of Wildlife. Lawdog

None of your story jives with Grizzley history in CO nor with the policys of the DOW now or in the mid '60's :?

I'm sure you will take it personally and I'm sorry to have to say it, but I totally doubt the veracity of your story!

Offline NONYA

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 06:52:24 AM »
yheeee they would NOT let you keep an accidently killed Griz,sorry NO WAY NO HOW I dont care when,where,who or why,I think you should keep quiet about situations such as this as the F&G may decide to check out your shed and find the woolly mamouth you mistook for an elk,of course they would let you keep it after you "register" it! :)  :-D  :eek:  :-D  :)
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 10:38:03 AM »
Quote from: Longcruise
Upshot of it was that the officer wrote a letter of explanation and let me keep the bear. All registered with the Colorado Department of Wildlife. Lawdog

None of your story jives with Grizzley history in CO nor with the policys of the DOW now or in the mid '60's :?

I'm sure you will take it personally and I'm sorry to have to say it, but I totally doubt the veracity of your story!

Sorry if you find it hard to believe.  Not that it matters or that I really care.  What do you think the agent for the DOW was going to do?  Arrest me after he is the one that said it was OK to shoot?  There were 5 of us(two of which were attorneys) there to testify against him if he tried.  I’m not going to get into a flaming contest over what you believe so I’ll let it go at that.  Lawdog

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
Bear Hunt
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 02:06:01 PM »
Before moving to Gods country, the only bear hunting available to me was in Pennsylvinia. That consisted of a one day event. After many years of no bear Hunting, Bear hunt camps became card games and drink fests.

Once the bear hunts resumed, they were mostly drive and stand hunts. Where several men would find a likely spot and the drivers would walk through the wood talking and otherwisw making alot of noise. With the hope of moving the bear toward the standers. Not my idea of hunting.

In South Dakota we don't have any bears to hunt. We do have for the first time a Mountain lion Hunt. If you are lucky enough to live in the Black Hills.

longwalker

Offline wolfsong

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 08:58:29 PM »
Lawdawg, A couple of us have lined up a black bear hunt for late October, in the Chester area (near Susanville). This is only in the planning stages right now but looks pretty good. Friend of a friend has dogs , hunting area and many years of experiance. Best of all, he is not "guiding" us, so there is no fee or cost, other than tags, food, gear, lodging, etc. This is strictly a friendship thing, for the joy of bear hunting, seeing good hounds in action, sharing  some good times and making new friends. There just might be room for one or two more hunters, (just two of us and the dog owner, right now). Guess it all depends on timing, and personalities. Ya know how hard it is to find a true huntin' pard. We don't drink, but certainly don't mind if others do, but we will not baby sit after a six pack or two. Anyway, I know you live in NorCal, so maybe we can work it out. BTW, I work for the Dept. of Corrections (talk about baby sitting) and I, too, hold the same opinion of yours regarding those damn mountain lions. Drop me a PM if interested...Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND MAY GOD HELP CALIFORNIA