Author Topic: Frosty bullets  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Bill,SC

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
Frosty bullets
« on: November 03, 2005, 01:39:35 AM »
I am new to this game.  My cast bullets dropped  shinny and nice.  As they cooled they turned frosty.  What did i do wrong?
Hunt Smart, Hunt Safe, Hunter Education

Offline Fireball 57

• Trade Count: (0)
RE: Frosty bullets
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 05:50:53 PM »
Bill, SC While this is Veral's forum and he may have an answer for you, maybe I can help you.  You didn't state at what temperature you were casting.  Higher temperatures, in the melt can frost the bullets but, that should not cause a problem with shoot'in them things.  Have a good day! :D
Without ammo, your rifle is a club! :biggun:

Offline Possum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
SC
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 01:47:41 PM »
Finally someone casting in SC.  Glad to hear it.  Maybe I won't be the only one melting in 95degree weather.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Frosty bullets
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 05:06:29 PM »
Veral's forum isn't for general purpose cast bullet questions. It's for discussion primarily on his products. I'm moving this to the cast bullet forum.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Frosty bullets
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 12:44:00 AM »
Most of my cast bullets come out frosted, I normaly use W.W.and need the higher temps to get good bullet fillout.
I have never had any trouble with them.
just shoot them and have fun

Offline Tycer

Frosty bullets
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 02:28:14 AM »
A frosty bullet is a happy bullet. Keep temps up where you cast nice bullets and not higher than 700ºF. Cooler is better for the alloy as far as oxydation and separation, and some odorless, colorless, poisonous gasses will be emitted if melt temp is too high, but frosty is OK. Some moulds will cast well at 600ºF, some at 700ºF ( 'bout all of mine do best with WW at ~675ºF ). If your pot is big enough, an $8 griddle thermometer from the kitchen store will float nicely on the alloy(they get kinda smokey on the inside of the glass, but seem fairly consistent and still readable). Or you could spring for a nice $30 probe one.
Thanks to you''uns from WNC,

Tycer

There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness
                                            -Yancey Davis

Offline kjg

Frosty bullets
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 02:29:28 AM »
That does happen to me , when I see a bullet begin to frost I generally stopp using that mould and let it cool down and drop the temperature down a bit, usually with my lee production pot I have to crank the heat to full, and drop the temp about 1 position every 15 minuets depending on what i'm casting.  kjg