Author Topic: What fits what?  (Read 366 times)

Offline pelican717

• Trade Count: (49)
  • Contributor
What fits what?
« on: September 18, 2005, 07:58:42 AM »
Hi, folks, new guy here. Been reading a lot and have gotten bitten by the Handi rifle bug.
I see several stock and /or rifle offerings. My question is this. Do all of the variations fit each other? SB-1,SB-2, Survivor, Topper, etc. I did read that rifles can take rifle,shotgun and muzzle loader barrels and shotguns could take only shotgun and muzzle loader, etc.
Will rifle/shotgun barrels from other rifle stocks work on different stocks?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Robert :D

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
What fits what?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 09:18:44 AM »
Did ya read the stickys and FAQ at the top?  There's a plethra of information for the new guy that will answer the most common questions... and create more that a quick search of the forum will most likely answer.

Seeing as I haven't read it in a long time, and don't know for sure that your particular question is answered...

An SB2 frame can accept anything except for the 10ga shotgun barrel and a rimfire barrel.

An SB1 frame can accept anything an SB2 can except for a few of the high pressure rifle chamberings... 30-06, 25-06, etc

The Topper 10ga frame only accepts 10ga barrels.

The Topper 12 ga frame accepts 12 and 20 ga barrels (I think)

I am fairly sure all the stock sets are interchangable.

don't know for sure about the Huntsman frames.

If I got anything wrong, someone will speak up for sure.

It appears that I like to use the word "Sure".

good luck,
Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
What fits what?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 09:50:53 AM »
Haywire has got most of the answers there for you.

Here is some more explinations:

SB1 is basically a shotgun/ older style muzzleloader frame (As stated above)

SB2 is basically a rifle frame, but can be fitted with shotgun or older muzzle loader barrels. (As stated above)

There is a rimfire only frame. Dont remember the designation, some of mine are labeled "SPORTERS" Bacically because of firing pin location.

There is a 10ga frame, also used for the 12ga ULTRA slug.

I continue to mention "OLD STYLE MUZZLE LOADER" A year or so back H&R began using a new receiver that was specifically designed for use with muzzle loaders only. If you have noticed, some of the new muzzle loaders are considdered firearms. As such require the purchaser to fill out the yellow federal paper work. IE form # 4473. This new frame is shorter from the re coil shield to the hinge pin. making it black powder only and NOT inter changable with exisiting center fire barrels. SO it is now exempt and not considdered a firearm so NO 4473 when you make the purchase. This is the SIDEKICK model.
 Yes the stocks are interchangable. The BUTT differences are in Comb on the current models and Drop  in the older ones. The forend differences are in attachment. Old ones removed like a dbl shot gun, no tools the newer ones require a screw driver.

Then there is an overlap in models when the NEF/H&R lines where combined.
 I hope this answers your questions.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
What fits what?
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 04:43:33 PM »
Any buttstock will "fit" any frame, they all mount the same way by a bolt through the wood into a threaded piece at the rear of the frame.

The newest centerfire rifle frames, the ones from "NEF", are stronger than the ones made by the company before their last reorganization.  They can be factory fitted with any of several caliber and configuration barrels.  Many folks here buy/swap barrels on line and fit them to their existing frames themselves.  

Forends on these all attach by a screw that goes into a threaded gizmo welded to the underside of the barrel (an estucheon I think is the correct name of this part).  Most forends will go onto most rifle barrels but some of the shotgun barrels, the ones that are rifled, are quite a bit bigger diameter and require a larger channel in the wood.  Mostly, any rifle forend will attach to any rifle barrel as long as it is of recent manufacture. (not sure of the date but older, like '70's and before, guns had the forends attached by a spring loaded pawl that grabbed a pillar soldered to the barrel.  these older guns are not marked NEF and are no longer available new unless you find one in a collection somewhere.

If you buy a new NEF rifle you will get a listing of available barrels in with the packaging.  There is also a listing at NEF's website:

www.hr1871.com

Offline pelican717

• Trade Count: (49)
  • Contributor
Thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 10:27:41 PM »
Thanks , guys. You answered enough of my questions to get me started. All the info is appreciated. I have won an auction for a 410/45 Survivor for my first one. Now to get a new rifle!
 Thanks again
Robert :D