Author Topic: backpacking checklist  (Read 887 times)

Offline gallatin

• Trade Count: (0)
backpacking checklist
« on: September 16, 2005, 08:15:40 PM »
will be packing in for deer/elk this year in the east Cascades or Blue mt.s of S.E. washington. would sure like input from those of you that have done some of this.Tried to get Jackfishs link to work on an older post, but could no longer access it any help would be much appreciated
John

Offline crow_feather

backpacking checklist
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 07:58:57 PM »
That is a hard one to give a good answer to with the information available.  If I was to hunt there, I might call the chamber of comerce in the biggest town in the area for help.  I might also call the area's search and rescue unit if they have one, or the local fish and game people.  Also, the local police might help.

Best of luck in your trip

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Turtle

• Avid Poster
backpacking checklist
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 10:59:19 AM »
Are you packing in on foot or with horses and how far?

Offline gallatin

backpacking checklist
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 01:05:04 PM »
Crow-feather,
Your post made me realize that my question was not clear. I'm going in on foot into an area that I'm familliar with, I'm looking for input on what people take along in their pack. It's been a long time and seems that even on day trips I forget this or that. looking for someone far more organized than I one who make a list and checks it twice
Thanks, John

Offline Idaho_Hick

• Avid Poster
backpacking checklist
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 02:36:17 PM »
Well, I don't have a list with me but for the sake of conversation I'll tell you what I take and why.
I prefer the external frame packs because I can hang/lash just about anything to one and they let air circulate better.  I am pretty sure I am the only one left who prefers them though.
So long as monsoons are not expected I prefer a tarp to a tent because it is lighter and you can wrap meat in or on it.   (if monsoons are expected, in all liklihood I would stay home)
I take food that does not need to be cooked and leave the stove and frying pan at home.  Things like tortillas, peanut butter, cheese, oysters and kipper snacks.
Otherwise, I would think my equipment is pretty much like anybody elses: rifle, shells, cleaning kit with rod, not just a pull through, knife and stone, canteen, topo maps, flashlight, sleeping bag and wussy pad, spare clothes, binos, rope, toilet paper and cigarette lighter.  I realize it is important to have an extra lighter or matches and a compass, but don't always do so because I am stupid.
An extra item that can be priceless is a comfy pair of sneaks for lazy camp use to let your feet recover from hiking mountains in boots you don't wear much.  I tend to go on the minimalist side, as that is much of the fun for me.  
As an afterthought, I have spent a great deal of time in SE Washington, in the Menatchee creek drainage.  I worked on a trail crew there for two summers running and saw my only up close mountain lion there.  It is beautiful but rugged country.  Have fun.

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
pack in hunt
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 05:06:12 PM »
I too use an external pack frame. You can get alot of stuff on a pack frame, and it is a big help in getting your game back to your camp. I never drag game any more. Skin quarter and pack it out.

Hunting by your self can be a very rewarding experience but you must be dependant upon your self entirely. Carry your foul weather protection, plenty of water, a first aid kit with large bandages. ( for a real emergency like a knife in your thigh ). And make sure you have some method or protection from the cold if you have to spend the night out away from camp.

Your pack frame will allow you to carry all this and you have the added benefit of having a solid and steady rest to shoot from the sitting or kneeling position. It can also act as a blind.    

good luck, have fun and make sure somebody knows where you are going!

longwalker

Offline crow_feather

backpacking checklist
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 06:32:07 PM »
Some little extras I carry.  
A small mirror with a hole in the center for signalling search aircraft.  
An emergency poncho.  
Two or three emergency blankets, those silver things that fold just a little larger than a credit card.  
A roll of dental floss.  (Strong and a lot of it in a small roll)  Good for boot laces, sewing a ripped jacket, etc.
A knife sharpener.
One of those wallet goodies about the size of a credit card that has the knife, toothpick, tweezers, compass, and magnifing glass.
A Swiss Army knife.
An emergency fire starter and the pellets of starter stuff.
A police whistle-plastic if possible.
Two or three of those hotel soap bars.

A few things that I can think of

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
backpacking checklist
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 05:19:00 AM »
Water is heavy, and if I'm going to be out 2 or more days,  I put in water purification tablets or a filtration system.  I am more afraid of the things in the water that I can't see than animals that eat you.
James