Author Topic: muzzle breaks installed?/  (Read 467 times)

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
muzzle breaks installed?/
« on: September 18, 2005, 05:29:51 AM »
anyone had some done ,i know a few have , deadeye had a great one put on his 307 but cant talk to him now , so anyone know of a good person to contact for a screw on muzzle break for my 243 standard barrel?? or anyone have a opinion on yea or nea's on them??

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 09:37:21 AM »
I know it pi$$es me off when some one next to me at the range has one.
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 09:58:53 AM »
They are VERY NOISY.
 They do work, but at a high cost...your hearing.

I built a 35 whelen about 20 yrs back. I listened to the smit about the hellatious recoil it would have. So I had a brake put on, it was quite simular to what H&R has used in the past, KDF I think the name was.
Well, I still have the rifle, but the brake was long ago removed and replaced with a threaded collar to protect the threads.

H&R's are taylor made for mercury recoil suppressors in their stocks. I would recommend that as well as one of the new sorbathane recoil pads.

My .02

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 03:35:19 PM »
well seems everyone agrees on the sound factor, ive just never had the chance to shoot one i guess on a rifle, i know shotguns sure get louder with barrel porting, so i suppose the rifle will also , ok,, m aybe ill scratch  that idea,,,,,,,

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 07:03:27 PM »
I can tell all about the ones I have on my 30-06 Ultra-comp...and those on the 270 Ultra-comps built by NEF...yes...they are loud...but mainly to those 90* off to your sides...to you...not much louder at all..unless your shooting in an enclosed space or up next to a wall.

Are they worth it...honestly...for some who are recoil shy to begin with...to me...for the rifles I have them on...it does reduce recoil and muzzle lift ...a-lot...but to those around me when shooting they absolutly hate them...

Would I put one on a 243...no..I wouldn't..the 243 even with the heaviest loads won't wear me out as say shooting the 190 grainers or 220 grainers from the 30-06...or the 160 grainers from the 270...but then...I really don't need them on either one of them...I got them because they were available and I wanted them...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 04:56:24 PM »
thanks mac , and theres that darn word again WANTS!!!!!  that word always kicks the snoot out of needs everytime hahhaha

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 08:29:55 AM »
Perhaps I should go to the range un-muffed once.

No one has ever complained about my ported Guide-Gun. My ported Gobblin' Thunder turkey choke has barely raised an eyebrow except when I bring the target back.

Hunting situations? No clue. I rarely hear the shot and I've never used the above weapons in a hunting situation.

Recoil reduction? My ported choke on my 10 gauge turkey barrel feels softer then the stock un-ported choke.

That's all I have for experience with porting.

Hope I said something useful.

Nixter