Author Topic: Recoil Pad Fitting Questions??  (Read 425 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Recoil Pad Fitting Questions??
« on: September 19, 2005, 11:55:48 PM »
I am gonna break down and buy a couple of new stock sets pretty soon.  I want to shorten 2 of my existing sets by an inch or so and then add a Limb Saver to them.  I have heard, here, that you must buy the grindable pads and then fit them yourself.
How hard is this to do?  Are there any special tools...what do you use to grind them with?  Also, when I shorten a buttstock, is it just a matter of measuring and making a straight cut?  I also have a youth Monte Carlo stock with a factory recoil pad on it.  I would like to sand/shave/grind the comb down and make it better for shotgun use.  Any suggestions or comments about this would be appreciated.   Thanks, in advance, for your help.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 02:31:23 PM »
I seem to remember some on posting about this a while back on the CF forum a while back.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 12:09:01 PM »
Cookie there are alot of info out there about fitting a limb saver to a normal saized stock.  But I would guess if you want to cut it down you will need to know what its measurements will be.  So you can get their templates they have on their web site.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Critter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 04:38:04 PM »
There are a couple of different jigs in Brownells for doing the job correctly.  You can do it freehand but they never turn out quite right.  I've done a bunch on the jigs and the hanging one is much better.  Easiest way to go is to cut the stock where you want it, make your measurements and then order the pad.  When you get the pad screw it to the stock and trace around the stock with either a razor knife or a very sharp white pencil.  Remove the pad from the stock and grind the excess away on a sanding wheel.  Remember how you want the toe and heel when your grinding otherwise you end up with a funny looking stock.  If you are redoing the stock at the same time you can then screw the pad back on and finish sand the pad while your sanding the stock and you'll get a perfect fit.