Author Topic: carcano bullet mold  (Read 615 times)

Offline jgalar

• Trade Count: (0)
carcano bullet mold
« on: September 22, 2005, 01:52:14 AM »
I have a Carcano with a .269 bore. I was thinking of getting a mold for a .270 (.278 diameter) and running it through a sizer. Is a .008-.010" reduction too much to expect decent results from?

Offline gutshot_again

• Trade Count: (7)
carcano bullet mold
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 07:56:10 AM »
Depends.  You want the grooves to be deep enough not to bottom out on the lands after sizing down that much.  Then you need to have the bullet lubed before reducing so you don't close the grooves up.  Then you have to also have to make sure that the bullet is not sized off center.  Push through nose first dies (Lee) usually are the way to go.  

With all that said, you may wish to consider a custom mold from mountain molds.  He can cut a 270 mold that has a .271 diameter that should work from the get go.  Single cavity aluminums are $60 + shipping - not that much more than a Lyman mould.

Offline Leftoverdj

• Trade Count: (0)
carcano bullet mold
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 04:37:05 AM »
Can't improve on Gutshot's advice. You'll also need a sizer to crimp GCs on with. Lee will make you a custom .271 fairly reasonably.  Better check with Dan to see whether to go with 6.5 mm GCs or .270 GCs. I suspect that you will have to anneal .270s.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.