Author Topic: New Vaquero SS  (Read 1422 times)

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
New Vaquero SS
« on: October 13, 2005, 11:12:09 AM »
Ok, I'm getting anxious!  The stainless 'new vaquero's are starting to show up in 5 1/2" and 7 1/2" so can the 4 5/8" be far behind?  I'm first on the list at Jay's for the short barrelled model.  JJ just called and he has not yet received a stainless .45 with the 4 5/8" but someone just traded back in a 5 1/2" ss .45.  I told him to hold it for me, I'll be in tomorrow to check it out.  I'll keep you posted.  44 Man.
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline 44 Man

New Vaquero SS
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 08:04:03 AM »
Ok, It's not quite as good for 'spinning' (I'm in a cowboy group that puts on theatrical gunfights) as the shorter barrel, this 5 1/2" is still remarkably well balanced.  Much better than the old Vaquero's and even better than the Colt/clone SAA, although it is slightly heavier.  I also played with a 5 1/2" Gaucho and a Stampede.  This one is only $350 plus tax and I put $100 on it.  I can pick it up in a couple of weeks.  Next; how does it shoot?  More to follow.  44 Man.

Offline 44 Man

New Vaquero SS
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 07:53:35 AM »
Well sorry to say that my 'gun buying' got slowed down considerably by some unexpected car repairs.  But I have the gun home and I got to shoot it Christmas day.  Not a lot, 30 or so rounds, but enought to get a feel for the gun and where she shoots.  I was running full loads, 9 gr unique with 255 gr bullets and some of the RCBS 275 gr SWC over 20 gr of 4227.  After I realized I need a firmer grip on the gun, it shot very well.  It shot the best with the 275 RCBS bullets and right to the sights.  About an inch and a half at 20+ yards.  The smaller grips did rap my knuckle with the trigger guard a couple of times until I held the gun firmly.  But I really like the feel of the 'colt' style grip frame and the thinner grips!  She's definately a keeper.  Now if I can just get one in .44 spl!  44 Man

Offline Whiskey

• Trade Count: (0)
Barreta 45 LC "Bird's Head"
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 05:31:26 AM »
What do you think of the little bbl (like 3 and 5/8 inch bbl) Barreta Birds Head handled 45LC. It is a beautiful little gun IMO.

What bbl length do you find best for "twirlin'"?
"Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance."   :grin:

Offline 44 Man

New Vaquero SS
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 09:01:04 AM »
Sorry for the late reply, this is the busy time at work and not much internet time lately.  I liked the 4 5/8" barrel the best for spinning, but the 5 1/2" is not very far behind!  I did fancy her up a little lately with a pair of stag grips for a Blackhawk.  I had to shorten the nose of the grips and round the heel a little.  Also had to scoop out a recess for the new lock to go into.  Ok, I can live with the lock, but at least they could have made it the same thickness as the grip frame rather than wider.  (it looks to be the same width as the Blackhawk grip frames.)  Anyway, it came out well and I'm happy.  I have another pair of matching stag grips waiting to go on a mate to this 'New Vaquero' when I can buy one.

[/img]