Author Topic: gas checks  (Read 530 times)

Offline woods

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
gas checks
« on: September 13, 2005, 04:42:12 PM »
Anyone out there casting bullets that are supose to use gas checks but don't use them? I'm shooting a 44 mag redhawlk with 250 grain  lead bullets it's supose to use a gas check but I'm not shootin these hot at all just 5.5 grains of bulleye ( my data says 800 fps ). Do I need a gas check my sizer scrapes full circle around the bullet on all three rings. Bullets are a mix of wheel weights and scrap core's from bullets gathered from range . The bullets are hard enough you can't mar them with your finger nail. This is just an extra expense for my practice bullets if I am correct in assuming the gas check was designed for higer velocity loads and really isn't necessary for low velocity loads.  Some of the bullets I purchased in the past have chamfers (45 angles ) on the back so I would asume a gas check is not always necesary. I have not put this to the test yet so I figrued I'd post it here for some advice.

woods

Offline Dusty Miller

gas checks
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 09:09:23 PM »
I use gas checks on ALL my cast bullets and consider the "added expense" to be negligible and the lack of lead in my barrel after a trip to the range makes it fully worth it.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline MikeP

gas checks
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 03:23:23 AM »
I don't put gas checks on lead bullets unless the velocity/pressure combo requires it. Trial and error demonstrates whether the checks are needed. I shoot several bullets without the checks with no problems at my pistol velocities.

Offline jcunclejoe

• Avid Poster
gas checks
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 07:33:22 AM »
I'm shooting an Ideal 429215 (I think that is the right number) it's a 215gr GC SWC bullet in my 44 Blackhawk 10.5" without a gas check. It works great and is very accurate. I do not know the velocity but I am using 14.0gr of SR4756 so it is not a woosie load. I do get some leading just in front of the forcing cone but it always comes out easily. I usually fire no more than 60 -70 rounds without cleaning so I don't let the lead build up in the barrel for long.
I also shoot a Lee 113gr FN GC in my 32 H&R without a gas check. It shoots 1.25" average groups at 100 yards and I have no trouble with leading. I'm using 5.5gr of AA#5 I do not know the velocity but I'm pretty sure it is over 1000fps.

I'm using Water quenched WW material for my cast bullets so they are quite hard.

Give it  a try and see if it will work for you. The most you will have is a couple of difficult cleanings until you get it right.
Good luck
Joe

Offline woods

• Avid Poster
gas checks
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 02:59:26 PM »
Thanks for the info, made a trip to the range tonight ran 36rds, through my red hawk every thing looked good accuracy and no leading . This board is very helpfull keep the info flowing.

woods.

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
gas checks or not
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 11:25:55 AM »
For years I have run 10.6 grains of Unique behind a 240 grain plain lead bullet with no leading in my S&W 29 for a less than full house load.

I am of the opinion that it is the combination of pressure and combustion heat that does cause the leading and that velocity really has nothing to do with it other than the obvious fact that you have to dump in more powder to get more velocity.  That's why gas checks work in the first place, they are a barrier between the hot gas and the lead.

I agree with the statement above, you have to try it to see if a particular combination will lead or not.  One barrel will be more prone to it than another also.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
gas checks
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 03:34:12 PM »
i went through that, too.  if you can get good accuracy and no leading, then your good.  conversely, if you cant print a good group and/or your barrel is leading,  probably aint a good idea.  

mine gave o.k. accuracy,  got a bit better with gas checks.   after a while i was able to afford another mold and got one that made bullets that were not of the gas check design.  

if your getting acceptable results,  you have pretty much answered your own question.