Author Topic: 257 stw reloading data  (Read 4363 times)

Offline reed257

• Trade Count: (0)
257 stw reloading data
« on: February 07, 2003, 09:34:10 AM »
Hi
Im having my first wildcat rifle built and have some loading data for the 257 STW I was hoping to find some more.  any data or leads to more data would be appreciated thanks
is that just one hole ?

Offline jamie

• Contributor
257 stw reloading data
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 05:50:26 PM »
What action is that 257 made on?  I have been thinking of one for a long time.
AMMO...
LiFe, Liberty and the Pursuit of all those that threaten it!

Offline reed257

257 STW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 06:21:18 PM »
Its a ruger #1 I bought it used for a song, the 25-06 barrel was pretty well shot out, thought I'd try a 257 stw after seeing one in action on a coyote, talk about explosive !!  definitely not a pelt saver
is that just one hole ?

Offline jamie

• Contributor
257 stw reloading data
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2003, 04:33:48 AM »
I was going to have a barrel made for my Encore but Steve at VVC said that it was too much preesure due to the small bore diameter.  They had made a few but stopped because it was on the edge for the Encores.  He did say he would be happy to do it to a Ruger #1 or another bolt.  He also siad I could get away with a 6.5 STW with the Encore.  Guess I will have to find a #1.  Thanks for the info.
AMMO...
LiFe, Liberty and the Pursuit of all those that threaten it!

Offline northern hunter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
257 STW INFO WANTED
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2003, 02:53:59 PM »
Hi guys was thinking about haveing my Ruger 1b RECHAMBERED TO 257 STW FROM 2506,BUT WAS TRYING TO FIND SOME INFO ON IT.Shooting times had a article a couple years ago about it,any body have any loads or other info  or if they have the magazine i would buy it or even a photo copy of the article would do.
Any help would be appreciated.
Shoot straight and only shoot once,carry a sharp knife.
Frank S. :D

Offline reed257

257 stw reloading data
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2003, 07:39:57 PM »
Hi northern hunter try www.riflesinc.com/news.htm its the only data that I have found online so far, looks like some data to start with anyway I pick up my #1 from my gunsmith  tomorow morning, the dies should be here on thursday 120.00 from RCBS.
is that just one hole ?

Offline northern hunter

• Avid Poster
257 stw
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2003, 01:53:24 PM »
Thanks reed 257,its a start,please let us know how yours shoots and some loads that work for you.
Frank S.

Offline northern hunter

• Avid Poster
257 stw reloading data
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2003, 03:35:13 PM »
:D Hi ya Reed257, was wondering what length of barrel you went with and was it stainless or crome moly?
Your Dies cost 120 from rcbs ordered from your dealer or another source???,up here they are over 200 withtaxes Canadian that is,or around 140 Us.
I hope you get them :roll:  :oops:
I also hope theres another reed257 out there or we have a confict of interest,(ontario hunter )aka northern hunter. :-D  :-D  :-D
Frank S. :biggun:

Offline reed257

257 stw reloading data
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2003, 06:55:46 PM »
weel ontario hunter we seem to have a duel going on. I went with a 26" crome-moly barrel. It seems  my gunsmith was overly optimistic about the finish time of my guns  the blueing is not quite done. He's doing a Sako finnebear for me too.(338 winnie mag) keep a stiff upper lip :P
is that just one hole ?

Offline northern hunter

• Avid Poster
257 stw reloading data
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2003, 03:51:02 PM »
:( WELL REED 257 you already have your rifle being built and almost done and my smith says it would be a couple of months before the reamer gets here if i still want to do it.So you were nice enough to share some loading info with me.So i will be nice too.
I will back off so you can get the dies at a good price.My last bid was for 70.51 or verry close to this amount.
I would like a full report please, when you get some info (FPS) AND LOADS.
Next time i bid on something, i hope its not a fellow shooter off of this board that i go against.Its no fun.
You Have My Word As A Hunter
No More Bids.
Frank S.
 :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Offline reed257

257 stw reloading data
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2003, 06:19:33 PM »
Thanks much northern hunter it would be a pleasure to share data with you. Its a inspiring to have honor among hunters/shooters. Who are you getting the reamers from that it takes a couple of months to get them ? My gunsmith had a reamer from doing his own rifle. He has been using 7mm STW data and reducing  loads by 15 % and watching for pressure signs while working upwards. He has been getting very impressive groups . thanks again anything I can do for you just ask
 Robert R
is that just one hole ?

Offline northern hunter

• Avid Poster
257 dies
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2003, 01:24:31 PM »
Well Rob i work part time at Ellwood Epps Sporting Goods and anything that we get from the US has to have export and import papers if its to do with guns,even parts.Our turnaround time is between 5 to 10 weeks once its ordered.It was even worse last year more like 12 to 16 weeks.Hope it gets better.Anyways there's sure to be more dies for sale in the future or i will just order them.
Would like to see your results with 100 gr bullets.
Hope you like yours.
Frank S.

Offline Joe Kool

• Avid Poster
257 stw reloading data
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2003, 10:53:04 AM »
Reed257, there is an very good article about the 257 STW in Shooting Times, June 1998. It is written by Layne Simpson and contains quite a few loads. If you don't have, or you can't get a copy of this magazine, I can scan the acticle and email it to you. You would have the sent me a P.M. with you email address, so I can sent it as an attachment.  8)

Offline northern hunter

• Avid Poster
257 stw reloading data
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2003, 01:21:13 PM »
Hi Joe cool, I sent you a PM too, hope you dont mind i would love to have that info  too.
Thank you for your time
 :D Frank S.

Offline northern hunter

• Avid Poster
257 dies
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2003, 01:28:04 PM »
:-D  :(  :( Glad to see that you got your dies,if you see another set for sale please let me know.
Happy shooting your northern friend.
Frank S. :-D  :-D  :-D

Offline reed257

257 stw reloading data
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2003, 01:52:46 PM »
thanks Northern Hunter I was reloading when I won the auction, now I have to settle the cat down and clean up all that H-380. If I run into another set of dies I'll let you know
 thanks your southern friend
Robert R
is that just one hole ?