Author Topic: Cannons & Mortars of Des Moines, Iowa  (Read 922 times)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Cannons & Mortars of Des Moines, Iowa
« on: September 22, 2005, 02:52:59 PM »
OK, here it is, Dictator!
Thanks for the suggestion.  
I'll add to this, but it'll be 6months to a year before I get up that way.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Dictator

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 12:06:47 AM »
and here are some more. This is the 100 lbr on the west deck of the Iowa capitol next to the Dictator mortar. This it's story:

The 100-pound Parrott rifle (No. 167) also heads the west stairway to the Capitol. This muzzle-loading cannon was cast at West Point Foundry in New York. During the Civil War.   No. 167 was part of the armament of the U.S. Steamer "Nipsic."

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 02:20:23 PM »
Hey Dictator Joe... Those are great pictures with excellent detail.  Our thanks for your time and effort.  Next time I travel thru Des Moines, I'll have to swing by the Capitol and get some pix for myself.  I do recall that there are some excellent gun shows at the State Fairgrounds on occasion.  I noticed that you neglected to show an empty powder can along side of those big guns, to show scale.  :mrgreen:
Hope to bump into you again at one of the future cannon/mortar shoots.  Dan, the chap who runs the Casper shoot, indicated that he usually has room to camp on some of his property which is apparently close to or adjacent to the shoot area.  May be of interest for next June providing the temps are not as hot as the last one.  Keep those great pix coming.
Blaster (Bob in So. CO)
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 03:08:01 PM »
Quote from: blaster
Hey Dictator Joe... ....   I noticed that you neglected to show an empty powder can along side of those big guns, to show scale.  ....  (Bob in So. CO)

A 50 lb keg would be of the right scale for these.

Thanks again for the pix.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Dictator

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 03:19:21 AM »
A BIG powder can :grin: . Blaster Bob, if I don't see you before, I look forward to meeting up again in Casper. I'm working on getting a little more accuracy out of our 6 lbr for next year. The competition is getting reaallly good :biggun:

Joe

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 05:30:59 AM »
In the picture showing what I would guess the be the breech area with the "no 167" marking..... are those 2 vent holes?
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 06:38:09 AM »
ED, I don't think those two holes are fuse holes. The reasons being, neither is on the centerline and there appears to be a fuse hole at the top edge of the picture on the centerline. I suspect those two holes are for a sight mechanism of some sort.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Stuffy25thIA

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 08:19:59 AM »
Quote from: blaster
Hey Dictator Joe... Those are great pictures with excellent detail.  Our thanks for your time and effort.  Next time I travel thru Des Moines, I'll have to swing by the Capitol and get some pix for myself.  I do recall that there are some excellent gun shows at the State Fairgrounds on occasion.  I noticed that you neglected to show an empty powder can along side of those big guns, to show scale.  :mrgreen:
Hope to bump into you again at one of the future cannon/mortar shoots.  Dan, the chap who runs the Casper shoot, indicated that he usually has room to camp on some of his property which is apparently close to or adjacent to the shoot area.  May be of interest for next June providing the temps are not as hot as the last one.  Keep those great pix coming.
Blaster (Bob in So. CO)

There's a gun show at the fair grounds this weekend Blaster, 24th & 25th
Always a good show.
First liar doesn't stand a chance!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005, 08:22:09 AM »
The sight mounts on the  is on the breech ring.  The front sight goes in the little fixture on the Trunnion.

Most likely those two holes are for the lock.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 09:02:46 AM »
They are "fuse" holes (although it was most likely fired with friction primers.)  The AOP plans I have for the 8 inch mortar show two holes in that relative position with the comment "Vents are parallel to each other.  Left vent bored through. Right vent bored through [sic] to within 1 inch."
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 09:24:55 AM »
Here is the rear sight base and lock of a parrot rifle.

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 09:51:46 AM »
Stuffy, I'm stuck at home this weekend so the Des Moines show will have to do without my patronage.  Any time there is a gun show there and I'm within a reasonable driving distance, I will attend it.  And, don't forget the BIG Wanenmacher Tulsa show takes place about four (4) weeks from this weekend - Oct 22 & 23.  Can I expect to see you there again?  I sure hope someone at the Tulsa show has some nice mortars to check out and possibly take at least one home with me.. :wink:
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Stuffy25thIA

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2005, 03:08:36 PM »
Sorry to say, I won't be at the Tulsa show this time Blaster.  Just paid my property taxes this week, so I'm a little short on funds.
I'm not even going to make the Des Moines show, thou I'm going to a roundball shoot Sunday in Osky.  Really need to burn some powder to get my head straight.
First liar doesn't stand a chance!