Author Topic: From NRA web page, 10/4/05. How fragile are our rights!  (Read 489 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
From NRA web page, 10/4/05. How fragile are our rights!
« on: October 04, 2005, 09:58:08 AM »
Compass Changes Direction

Friday, September 30, 2005

As you know, on September 22, NRA filed a motion in United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana to block authorities from confiscating law-abiding citizens' firearms in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.  On September 23, the Court sided with NRA and issued a restraining order to bar further gun confiscations from law-abiding victims of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans.

The controversy over gun confiscations erupted when The New York Times reported that the New Orleans Superintendent of Police Eddie Compass directed that no civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to have guns and that "only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons." ABC News quoted New Orleans' Deputy Police Chief Warren Riley, saying, "No one will be able to be armed. We are going to take all the weapons."

This week--fast on the heels of the restraining order--Compass abruptly resigned his post.  At the same time, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin's office was quick to distance itself from the statements made by Compass and Riley.

The one big question that remains to be answered is who actually issued the controversial confiscation order in the first place.

Under Nagin's leadership, the city's murder rate increased and there were frequent reports of corruption within the police department.  In addition, during the region's wide-spread, post-Katrina violence, looting, and civil unrest, roughly 250 police officers deserted their posts.  Amidst the anarchy, a television crew filmed police officers apparently participating in the looting of a store.
Safety first

Offline rockbilly

From NRA web page, 10/4/05. How fragile are
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 12:19:06 PM »
8) FIrst, The Chief of Police does not have the right to establish laws.  I am not saying he did not try to enforce his "thoughts", but targeting all gun owners backfired in his face.  As a law abiding citizen I am afraid I would have resisted surrendering my firearms which may have led to a confrontation with LEO.

I am not a Nagin supporter, but let's face the facts.  The police force in New Orleans have been corrupt for many years, and the city has been know as the murder capital of the USA for at least the last 20 years or so.

I have no problem blaming Nagin for a lot of the failures in getting the people safely out, and for providing food and water for those that could not, or did not leave the city. But I think it is unfair to blame him for the past when he had no influence over it.

Let this be a lesson to all law abiding citizens, future disasters may cause some other state or local government to go after our guns.  Maybe now is the time we rattle doors and write letters to establish laws to prevent it.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 01:34:06 PM »
Thank God for the NRA.  :-D  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 09:10:26 PM »
Now, are we going to write a check to the NRA-ILA?  If we make any progress at all that outfit will be a big reason why.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Questor

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 03:07:06 AM »
I agree with the previous two posts. This is why I am a life member of the NRA. Nobody else is effective in supporting gun rights. I simply cannot understand why some gun owners just don't get that.
Safety first

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 05:30:33 AM »
AMEN, Questor!!
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline ShadowMover

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 06:49:06 AM »
It's another example of the government using any excuse to further their agenda. Web pages such as this serve a good purpose in getting the word out. Did you hear about the Phoenix AZ rescue team sent home for bringing armed officers with them? I guess ideology and political correctness are more important than the work they were doing.
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/10/04/D8D1KDB80.html