Author Topic: Bowling ball specs  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Dictator

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Bowling ball specs
« on: September 10, 2005, 06:14:58 AM »
I think I've seen this info on here before, but what is the powder chamber dimensions & recommended bore length for a bowling ball mortar? I getting an urge to build one

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Bowling ball specs
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 06:29:43 AM »
Yep, we got that for you! Check References  Scroll down aways and you find the info you are looking for as far as ball and bore dimensions go.

There is no "spec" for the powder chamber. The typical welding tank bowling ball mortar has a fairly small powder chamber.  If you use the recommended formula for minimum breech dimensions you could have a powder chamber that is  1/3 the diameter of the total diameter of the barrel at the breech. (Barrel wall thickness at the breech shall be no less than one caliber.)  

In theory if you had a barrel 10 inches in outside diameter. You could have a powder chamber  3 1/3 inches in diameter.  That is a big powder chamber.  

I haven't got my hands on a welding tank yet to measure the powder chamber.  In fact that is one of the mysteries we have explored on this board.  Which welding gas tank is the right tank?  The O2 tank is a hair to small!

Offline Dictator

• Avid Poster
Bowling ball specs
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 07:56:14 AM »
Thanks DD
 That does kinda follows with what I've seen at some shoots. I've seen anywhere from a 3"x3" size to 1.750"x2". I was thinking 2"x2". A 3" chamber does sound big. The 2 mortars below were shooting balls at a target 1000 yrd away. Some of the shots went way beyond that range. I didn't get a chance to ask them their loads as I was, shooting, myself down the line, but judging from the blasts, they were pretty healthy loads. How much powder fits into a 2x2 or 3x3 chamber? I've posted a print I found somewhere, & it has a bigger 3" chamber.
 Also, what is proper bore length? I'm thinking app. 2.5x bore diameter or roughly 20". What do you think? I don't want to make a howitzer.

Offline Double D

Bowling ball specs
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 08:40:59 AM »
I believe if you look at either N-SSA or the Artillery Association rules require the bore for the ball be two calibers.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Bowling ball specs
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 10:11:37 AM »
Quote from: Double D
I believe if you look at either N-SSA or the Artillery Association rules require the bore for the ball be two calibers.

Two calibers is what we've always talked about being the standard length for a mortar tube.

Longer if you want more range for the same powder.

Shorter if you want more smoke and greater muzzle blast.

A one-caliber long golf-ball mortar with max charge (or 1-1/2" firecracker) will max out at 8' range going about 8' high as well.
That's at 45degree elevation and FFFg powder.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Bowling ball specs
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 10:36:20 AM »
An 8 inch M1861 mortar has 10" of straight bore and 6" of semi-ellipsoidal chamber.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline 12741

bowling ball specs
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 03:45:29 AM »
I have recently built an o2 tank bb mortar following using "Florida BB mortar" plans. My powder chamber is 2in. dia. by 2.5 in deep.It will hold 5 oz but so far I have only fired 2 and 3 oz charges at high el. and short range. The tank to use has "DOT 2265" stamped on the shoulder.It is slightly shorter and fatter than the more common ones which are stamped 2400. Hope this helps.

Offline Dictator

• Avid Poster
Bowling ball specs
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 01:18:02 PM »
It does help. Thanks much---Joe

Offline Dictator

• Avid Poster
Bowling ball specs
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 01:03:00 PM »
Hey 12741,
 Where did you get plans for your "Florida BB Mortar"?

Thanks much,
Joe

Offline w a tyrrell

Bowling ball specs
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2005, 12:40:03 PM »
Joe,

On page 13 of this thread on a post dated 2/27/04 are the specs for the "Florida Bowling Ball Mortar".  The length of the trunnion should be 13.5" if you use full 2" stock for the carriage.  I'd be happy to discuss the details with you.  772 589-0488.

Best Wishes,  Bill

Offline Double D

Bowling ball specs
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2005, 01:57:36 PM »
Here is a Link to Bill's post. A Florida Bowling Ball Mortar

Hey Bill, nice to see you again, don't be such a stranger.

Offline Dictator

• Avid Poster
Bowling ball specs
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 01:31:30 AM »
Thanks much guys. Looks like I have a nice winter project