Author Topic: should i cut my Tracker barrel?  (Read 448 times)

Offline rc51kid

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
should i cut my Tracker barrel?
« on: November 21, 2005, 12:40:17 PM »
I just got a nice tracker and have been thinking it would be a great brush gun.  The only thing is that it is kind of long.  It has a 24” barrel with rifle sights.  Is there any reason that it is so long?  Would I be loosing anything in the way of balistics to cut it down to say 19 inches?  Cost is not a big thing I have access to the right tools and a good friend has done this stuff before so it should be free.  Is there any reason not to cut it?

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 02:31:12 PM »
If you have access to the right tools and know how I'd say give it a shot. I suppose you might loose a little velocity but not enough to make a difference at brush gun range. Be sure to post picks and your shooting impressions.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline rc51kid

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 05:12:02 PM »
Maybe I will give it a try.  I guess I was wondering why they made it 24 inches when most rifle barrels they make are only 22 inches.  I thought maybe there was a reason it was 24 inches.

I would really like to put a red dot on it but I don’t know if the barrel is thick enough to tap for a scope base.  So I thought I might put a fiber optic type sight on after I shorten it.  When it comes to shortening it I guess I could just cut it to around 19 inches with something like a pipe cutter.  Then I could put it in the lathe and turn it up true.  Then I would drill and tap for the front sight.  Does this sound about right?