Author Topic: Tracker 2 with a smooth bore?  (Read 490 times)

Offline RedRyder21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Tracker 2 with a smooth bore?
« on: October 03, 2005, 04:40:33 PM »
:oops: In my other hobby, C&R firearms, I have kind of forgot about the H&R/NEF. Now the weather is cooling off and the leaves are starting to change color I am getting intrested in the single shots... Also as of lately I have had more money to spend! :-D  :)

In reguards to the TrackerII, wasn't there a tracker with a smooth bore? Basically I was a 12 gauge with a smooth bore and rifle site like the one on the TrackerII.

Any suggestions? Could a gunsmith possibly be able to make something like this?
I love shotguns! :cb2:

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Its a Tracker I
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 10:51:27 PM »
The barrel you are speaking of is the first generation, Tracker I.  The factory still has some of them.  You should call first before sending off your frame to have one fitted.  I sent off for the 20ga smooth bore earlier this summer, as did a few others here on the forum.  You are correct, they have rifle sights and a SMOOTH BORE for using the less expensive "rifled slugs".   Good Luck, if you hurry, you may be able to get it back in time for Deer Season.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 05:59:12 AM »
RedRyder21, Cookieman is correct. I had such great luck with my 12 gauge 24" smoothbore H&R with a modified choke tube installed and scope rail added wearing a red dot sight (cloverleafs at 50 yards with Brenneke-Rottwiel 2 3/4" "MP" slugs at about $4.00 a box of 5), I looked around and finally found a 12 gauge as new Tracker I with rifle sights. I heard this year the factory had located some new/old stock Tracker I barrels in both 12 and 20 gauge and sent a reciever in to have a 20 gauge Tracker I barrel fitted. I find the much less expensive Foster and Brenneke style slugs at from between $2.00 and $4.00 a box are all I need to cleanly harvest deer in my area. I also feel we are all being taken by the ammo companies for the prices they are charging for sabot style slugs and even the Remington "Buckhammers", a great slug but when you think about it an inferior copy of the Brenneke at about 3-5 times the cost of the originals...think about it with an open mind and try some Brennekes in 2 3/4", I think you will be impressed. And if you want penetration for large dangerous game in a smoothbore, try some Dixie Predators!....<><....  :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline RedRyder21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 05:51:20 AM »
Thanks for the advice! I will give them a call and see what I cancome up with! :D
I love shotguns! :cb2:

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 02:13:56 AM »
Red, how did you come out on the smooth bore 12ga?   Was just checkin out some older posts and wondered if the factory still had some.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"