Author Topic: Kahr PM40 vs MK40  (Read 1364 times)

Offline johnbrett

• Trade Count: (0)
Kahr PM40 vs MK40
« on: October 04, 2005, 05:45:57 AM »
After sending my Kahr PM40 back to the factory three times for failure to function properly,
Dorothy told me that it is a difficult gun to shoot. and not eberyone (including herseld as a Kahr employee can shoot one reliably.)  The Kahr staff was able to increase the feedind and ejection reliability from 50% up to 90%, which still is not adequate when my butt is at stake.None of the glowing magazine articles tell you that the PM40 requires a special grip technique beyond simply hanging on tightly.

Kahr was kind enough to exchange the PM40 for a MK40 stainless steel model. When nestled into a GURU holster, it is completely concealed in front or hip pocket of my jeans. The extra weight is an annoyance, but the reliability difference and concealably offset the weight. Fanny pack, or pocket works, Suspenders help distribute the load If I plan to walk around all day with it in a pocket. I am reminded whenever I pull the teigger that
MK40 is a heck of a lot of fire power for such a little gun.

Unless you have exceedingly strong ham hands and wrists of solid steel, the PM40 may not be a good choice The MK40 is a different matter. It is very reliable, and it doesn't care if I limp wrist it a bit in a combat situation, or if I am off balance.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Kahr PM40 vs MK40
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 10:42:49 AM »
Yeah, Kel-tec had the same problem.  That gun in .40 was just too light and since most of us are not bricklayers with hand strength to match, they were very unrealiable functioning.  With that round, you have to have heft to help hold the gun down so it will cycle reliably.  And extra weight is a major hinderance to constant carry.  I have a Kahr PM9 Covert that I love.  I'd like to try their .45.  That's a super round but is not so violent as the .40 when it goes off.  I think that compromise (wt vs. caliber) will work.  Alas, LIFE is a compromise.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline johnbrett

• Trade Count: (0)
44 man
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 11:09:19 AM »
Thanks for the response I am new to the site.

I am perfectly content with my sig 45, & my gun budget is
busted, except for a Charter arms 12 oz aluminum .38 for my wife.

It's the 12 oz thing, and revolvers don't jam. It's her call!

With 38 target loads I think that she will be someone to be feared at close range.

johnb