Author Topic: Need pheasant Hunting advice  (Read 489 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Need pheasant Hunting advice
« on: October 09, 2005, 03:01:57 AM »
Minnesota pheasant opener is next weekend.  I have 3 barrels to choose from.  One is a 20ga Mod in 22".  The other 2 are 12ga Mod in 24" & 22".  I think the 24" 12ga is the way to go.  I have been told by friends that do a lot of pheasant hunting that #4 shot is the best.  So, I decided to ask my FAMILY what you all think.  12ga..20ga...shell and shot size...barrel length????
Thanks, Cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 11:33:24 AM »
I would think ScatterGunner is the authoruty here, he hunts them with a .410!!! (and seldom misses I hear). Out of your choices I myself would go for the 24" 20 first or 24" 12 second with either #5 (my favorite) or #6 shot. I prefer a more dense pattern and I really don't think #4 shot is needed on pheasants. Of course going with what the locals use has a lot to be said for it. Hopefully ScatterGunner will see this and respond. Good Luck...<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline dawei

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: Need pheasant Hunting advice
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 11:54:10 AM »
Quote from: Cookieman
Minnesota pheasant opener is next weekend.  I have 3 barrels to choose from.  One is a 20ga Mod in 22".  The other 2 are 12ga Mod in 24" & 22".  I think the 24" 12ga is the way to go.  I have been told by friends that do a lot of pheasant hunting that #4 shot is the best.  So, I decided to ask my FAMILY what you all think.  12ga..20ga...shell and shot size...barrel length????
Thanks, Cookie

Upland hunting where the walk is long and the shots are few calls for a light fast swinging gun. Gauge is immaterial; pattern performance is what counts. I hunt pheasants all season with a 20GA. As mine is a repeater I use 1oz #6 for the first shot & 1oz #5 for the second if I miss. If you use the 20GA; the gun, and the ammo, is lighter. As you are only getting one shot I'd carry a few 3" Mags in #5 or #6 in case the birds are flushing wild. GO GETTUM!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 12:13:03 PM »
thats pretty much word for word what i was going to say, thanks, dawei. its nice to be able to to agree with someone who knows as much as you do. i guess that means i am starting to know what the heck i am talking about ;)

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 02:18:15 PM »
Quote from: mjbgalt
thats pretty much word for word what i was going to say, thanks, dawei. its nice to be able to to agree with someone who knows as much as you do. i guess that means i am starting to know what the heck i am talking about ;)

-Matt

Thanks for the kind words Matt.  When I retired from the ARMY 15 years ago I tried to do it all; Bear, Cougar, Deer, Elk, Ducks, Geese, Turkey, Grouse, Quail, Pheasants, Rabbits, Coyotes, Prarie Dogs, Varmits in general. As I get older & the miles get longer I've had to scale back. I hunt less critters; but of those I hunt far more often.

I haven't used a 12GA since I retired. I use my 16GA LeFeverĀ® SxS; or, my MossbergĀ® pump 20GA. Now I hunt mainly Pheasants & Rabbits behind my new Beagle. Do a little Deer & Elk Hunting (more Deer than Elk); and shoot a few ducks.  It's enough for this old soldier; 5 grandsons keep me busy.:mrgreen:

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 03:34:07 PM »
cookieman -

bird hunting is singularly the best time ever !!!!! i'll assume you will hunt with dogs.

if the dogs are going to be pointers i would use a 20 gauge with 7/8 oz of #8's and a modified choke is fine, an IC or cylinder would work just as good, let the bird get a little bit away before you pull the trigger.

remember, take head or tail shots, otherwise you get too much lead seasoning in your breast meat. don't do the "Pull-Bang" or you will not eat what you shoot.

if your dogs are flushers, the ones that run around chase and flush a bird without waiting for you, i would use 1 ounce of #7 1/2s with a full choke, the birds can pretty far away if the dogs start ranging. a full choke and 1 ounce will work good out to 40 yards.

#4's will pretty much ventilate the bird and really arent needed, this can drive feather fragments, bowel contents, etc, into the meat. you will find little black circles in the meat from this.

don't over choke or use big shot. start with pointers, you have much more control over the hunt than when using flushers. and remember, head shots !!!!

most of your first hits will probably not be clean kills, you may need to manually dispatch them before putting them in you bag so worrying about shoot size and choke is inconsequential.

a vet friend of mine who i hunt with stated that the best way to bag a bird is to shoot when the shot you use and the distance you shoot at doesnt cause pellets to penetrate the feather covering. the kill mechanism is a fast hydrostatic shock to the birds circulatory system from being hit by the shot cloud. he is right in my opinion, but you have to hold off and shoot when the time is right.

have fun and let us know how you do !!!

sg

[EDIT]
p.s. i do use a 410 on all birds but contrary to what MSP said, i do occasionally miss !!!
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline snakeman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 05:47:21 PM »
Cookieman,  
I hunt alot of pheasants every year. I usually use a 20 gauge with a modified choke and #6 shot early in the season when there are still alot of young birds out there. Later in the season when the birds flush wild I will switch to a 12 gauge and shoot #5 shot and a full choke. The 20 gauge is a great gun for upland birds. They are light and don't kick much. Remember that on opening weekend there are alot of first year birds. These unexperienced birds will not run or flush wild very much. For the most part they will hold very tight and often let a hunter walk right past them. On opening morning try to take it nice and slow instead of rushing thru a field. When you get to the end of the field turn around and hunt it going back from where you just came. It is very productive to do that with the younger birds and you can often jump birds that didn't jump the first time around. Good luck and let us know how it goes.  

P.S. I don't get to hunt them until the second weekend in November. I'm jealous.  

snakeman

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 11:55:14 PM »
Unfortunately, we will not be hunting over dogs.  I will be hunting with my nephew and he has even less field time on pheasants than I do.  Taking a little from all of you, I think I will take my 2 short barrels along.  The 22in 12 and 20.  The 20 with #6 or 7 1/2 sounds like the way to go.  If I find that I just ain't gettin' there then I can switch to the 12 with the same load.  A lot or a little, I will be sure to let you all know how we do.  Thanks again for all the advice and the tips.  
Cookieman
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 05:39:18 AM »
Good luck on your hunt Cookie,  I can't give you any info on pheasant hnuting as there hasn't been any good numbers of pheasant here in Maryland for many many years.  But hey at least they are letting us hunt black bear now.........hmm just not the same thing is it.......I love upland hunting.....
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 03:43:57 PM »
no dogs, no problem !!!

when you walking the field, walk about 10 feet, stop for a few seconds, then do it again.

a friend of mine taught me this, he said it makes the birds nervous and more apt to launch then run.

i use this on grouse when not using a dog.
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!