Author Topic: Hardest Kickin' Rifle Ya Ever Shot?  (Read 2212 times)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Hardest Kickin' Rifle Ya Ever Shot?
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2005, 04:53:54 PM »
My Mossberg 500 with it's 24" slug barrel and synthetic stocks.  Shooting 3" slugs from the bench will loosen the fillings in your teeth.  :)
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2005, 08:21:51 PM »
Model 600 Remington, in 350 Rem Mag.  Nothing else has come close to what that little thing did.  It has never gotten into the woods,   In fact I think I've put five rounds through it in all the years I've owned it.  Beautiful little gun, vent rib on an 18 inch barrel, laminated stock, little butter knife bolt handle, short action.  Gosh, it hurts to shoot it.  I will never take it hunting.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Thebear_78

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2005, 04:06:12 AM »
Easily the most brutally recoiling rifle I ever shot was a tikka T3  laminated 338 win mag.  Loaded with scope it only weighed a little over 7lbs.  250gr loads really thumped you hard.  

I have found the 375 to be very easy on the shoulder.  I'm going to have mine slimmed down a bit.  I'd like to get it down to 8lbs with scope.  I would much rather have a hard kicking lite rifle than a easy kicking heavy rifle.  My big hunting rifles will be hunted with more than shot off the bench and carrying a heavy rifle around all day is no fun.  

I find that a past recoil sheild really helps when shooting heavy recoiling rifles off the bench.

Offline kevin.303

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2005, 05:57:38 PM »
well guns that i have owned, it's a toss up. 1st is a Polish Mosin Nagant M44 shooting the Hungarian yellow tip, which is actually meant for machine guns. i also find my .30-40 Krag with it's cut back barrel and stock to be very light and very hard kicking. both have old school crescent steel buttplates. makes me long for the flat brass plate of a Lee Enfield. i don't find my Auto 5 bad at all, it being semi auto and having a integral recoil pad, but i still wouldn't want to shoot slugs out of it all day. but the worst is with a borrowed Rossi coachgun. both barrels with 3" heavy game loads. OUCH!
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline ajj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2005, 06:11:05 AM »
While ordering an extra barrel for my H&R Handi .45-70, the 12 ga rifled barrel for slugs seemed like a good idea. The first shot from the bench with a 2 3/4" Remington copper sabot rattled my skull and gave me a bruise from my collarbone halfway down my arm. I like running 20 rounds or so through my light .375 H&H at silhouette targets and I enjoy my H&R 10 ga smoothbore with even heavier slugs  but this was something else. It was a sharp rap and a big one. I haven't fired it since.

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Hardest Kickin' Rifle Ya Ever Shot?
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2005, 01:03:44 PM »
Quote from: BamBams
I'm wondering because I've shot plenty of 45/70 with hot handloads.  Now I'm thinking about a .375 H&H for Elk.  Oh I know, it's plenty more than I need, but I LOVE recoil, and I don't flinch, so why not?  If it don't really go BOOM, then I feel like I miss out on some extra fun. How much more will this kick me than those hot 45/70s?

Anyone else 'round here enjoy lots of recoil, or am I just weird?

The one rifle that comes to mind is the walnut stocked, State Arms single shot .50 BMG a guy was trying to sell.  The rifle had a 36" custom barrel with a break.  No other type of recoil suppression system.  The rifle weighted about 20 pounds and I though it broke my arm when I shot it.  X-rays prove it didn't but moving my arm was painful for almost a week.  The accompanying bruise covered from below my right elbow to half across my chest.  I never did hear if the owner sold that rifle.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2005, 03:08:48 PM »
TCR-87 in .30-06.  I have had two of them, they are absolutely beautiful rifles, but the stock is such that they really hurt to shoot, even offhand.  Both rifles have been sold.  My NEF .30-06 HandiRifle on the other hand is a joy to shoot.  Both break open single shots, but the stock design on the more expensive one was really poor!

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone