Author Topic: spotting scope?  (Read 614 times)

Offline AZ300wsm

• Trade Count: (0)
spotting scope?
« on: October 09, 2005, 12:00:44 PM »
I am looking to get a spotting scope and was wondering how much of a problem is the 45 degree eye piece in a hunting situation?

Offline jrhen

spotting scope?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 05:44:01 PM »
Az300wsm,

You didn't say which scope you were looking at.  Don't forget to spend the money on a quality tripod.  I saw a Manfrotto tripod in Don's Sportings Goods in Scottsdale, Az. for around $140. They also had a pistol grip handle to mount the scope on that each time you clicked the lever it automatically moved\panned the scope  30 degrees.  Which ever scope you purchase don't go and buy a camera style tripod like I did.
Be kind to animals.... cook them properly.

Offline AZ300wsm

spotting scope?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 05:11:20 PM »
jrhen,

I have not decided yet.I need to keep it in the $500 range.I know with glass you get what you pay for. I have been looking at a Celestron Ultima 80 ED. Found a reputible place that I can get it fo $462 shipped. I got to play with a brunton tripod today at the sportsmans wharehouse that was really nice. They had a pistol grip adapter for panning that was cool. I agree that a good tripod is a must.

Thanks for the reply

AZ

Offline jrhen

spotting scope?
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 06:28:36 PM »
I have a Burris Landmark 15x45 which is long and on the heavy side.  It's fine to take to the range but I don't know if I would take it hunting due to the combined weight of the scope and tripod.  

For bino's I went with the Nikon Monarchs.  I would give the Nikons Sky & Earth 14x45 a look as the bino's optic's are clear and crisp.  Their warranty is really good too, even if you break the optic.

As to the angled eye piece it will allow you to keep the height of the scope lower and which is easier on your neck.  The only time I have used a scope with a angled eye piece is for astromomy.  

Check back in once you make a purchase and let us know how it works out.
Be kind to animals.... cook them properly.

Offline AZ300wsm

spotting scope?
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 05:56:00 PM »
Thanks again and I will let you know how it turns out.

Offline Catfish

spotting scope?
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 10:09:56 AM »
If your wanting it for hunting I highly recomd the Leupold 15 to 30. It has a much larger field of view than anyother on the market. It is also small and liter makeing it more user friendly in the field.