Author Topic: Sizing bullets? And tin source question.  (Read 774 times)

Offline The deerslayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Sizing bullets? And tin source question.
« on: September 14, 2005, 02:59:53 PM »
I just ordered stuff to start casting for my 41. Do I need to worry about sizing the bullet? And this is probly stupid of me asking but could I use tin cans and things like that to mix with led instead of buying tin?

Offline Tycer

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 04:21:19 PM »
Tin cans are plated. Too much effort required to seperate. See if you can get a chunk from a local plating company or ask them to add some shot to their next order. Tin solder works well.
Thanks to you''uns from WNC,

Tycer

There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness
                                            -Yancey Davis

Offline John Traveler1

• Contributor
source of tin
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 10:03:54 PM »
Ordinary plumbers solder works well as a tin source.  It's 50% tin.  The hardware store variety is expensive, but you don't need that much.

If you live near an industrialized area, look for electronic manufacturing plants.  They often salvage solder from circuit cards, dip soldering processes, etc, and that solder is "eutectic" alloy, meaning it's 63% tin.

HTH
John

Offline jimann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
sizing and tin
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 04:25:59 PM »
Hi
You do not HAVE TO size but you HAVE TO lube. and a sizer luber is an easy way to do that. I have been really lucky with finding solder(50/50) at garage or estate sales. It is half tin. I bought a one lb. roll for one dollar last week. You need to be aware of what you are buying. As here in Kalifornia "They" will no let you buy lead.(?) But they sell a special "solder".
Enjoy
jim

Offline ron haralson

sizing bullets and tin source question
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 06:17:05 AM »
If you live near a large city, try the yellow pages under lead. Some places have firms that deal in lead alloys, and you may be able to buy the alloy you need for very little more than the cost of scrap materials. Also, one of them sold me pure tin in 1 lb. bars for $8 Can./lb. Be aware that while 50 - 50 solder is common, so is 60 - 40 and some others.

Ron

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: source of tin
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 07:17:42 AM »
Quote from: John Traveler1
Ordinary plumbers solder works well as a tin source.  It's 50% tin.

Plumber's solder can't contain any lead at all.  The Plumber's solder that I used to find at the hardware store was 95%tin/5% Antimony.  Now what I find at all the local places labeled as lead free plumber's solder says "Silver Bearing Solder" and doesn't list a content on the spool like the other stuff used to.  I bought 2 rolls of 50/50 last night, cost me $6.99 for a 1lb roll.. that's $14 a pound for tin.  

If you are certain you are going to use it, you can buy certified tin ingots for $9/lb from www.theantimonyman.com but the minimum order is 12lbs. It kinda hurts to fork out $120 dollars at a time even tho it's much cheaper over the long haul.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 07:50:34 AM »
go to your local radiator shop and ask them for the solder they melt out of radiators when they recore them. Its usually 60/40 and they will ususally be happy to have you haul it away. Its usually a little work to clean up but not as bad as wheelweights. Go fast though as most cars are now using plastic radiators.
blue lives matter

Offline Carroll B

• http://www.geocities.com/bayrunner.geo
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 06:05:09 AM »
A good cheap source for tin is pewter.  I buy all the pewter cups, mugs, and pitchers I can find at the local flea market for less then a dollar each, many for $.25.  Pewter is about 95% tin.
Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Home Page www.geocities.com/bayrunner.geo