Author Topic: Case harding  (Read 446 times)

Offline guttercat2000

• Trade Count: (0)
Case harding
« on: September 24, 2005, 03:00:03 PM »
Hey all,
 whats the best way to perserve the colors on the case hardend frame
of my tracker II ?
  my old H and R  topper has lost it's colors long ago. And I would like
to save the tracker II from the same fate.
     thanx, dan

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
Case harding
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 04:33:58 PM »
this a good question and i offer you my experience.

the best way to preserve case colors is to not use the gun. normal handling will eventually dull the plums and purples.

my pardners have wear on the case colors as well as my other shotguns. you can have the dulled receivers refinished, but i prefer to call it Proud Wear !

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline guttercat2000

Case harding
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 08:37:07 PM »
yeah I get what you mean. my old topper has a lot
 of "proud wear " . Great phrase, by the way. mind if I use it?
   but man this new tracker looks so good now, I just hate to
 see the colors fade. know what I mean?

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Case harding
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 04:04:39 AM »
My advice is to get the nickel recievers. Then you don't have to worry about them changing. I don't thing the colors are true case hardening. I don't know for sure but I think H&R uses a chemical process. I'm pretty sure they will refinish it for you pretty inexpensively too.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
Case harding
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 01:41:48 PM »
haha ! i didn't coin that phrase so feel free to it !

but i know what you mean about the fading colors, but, there is a good side to it. by the end of bird season, your scattergun will be dinged up, and pretty much colorless, (i.e. proud wear) but, that all means that you got to shoot and eat birds !

next summer, while its' resting after the long winter workout send it back to the factory for a fresh coat of paint. that's what i do with my 410 bore & 28 ga handi and a 20 ga SxS parker CHE.

whatever process NEF uses, and i am not sure what they do, the handi's hold their colors pretty well, the worst is the parker, its' colors last about 2 weeks and refinishing really diminishes its' value. but i am not one of those guys who buys a gun and squirrels it away, if i own it, it gets shot.

so don't worry about the case colors and shoot the gun, the key phrase is proud wear !

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Case harding
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 06:12:26 AM »
Pretty guns left in the safe give you a moment of happiness or joy, guns used in the field give you a lifetime of memories...

Take a kid or loved one hunting with that pretty gun.

Nixter

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Case harding
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 04:58:04 PM »
About 2 or 3 weeks ago a guy posted asking about what his barrels would be worth.  He showed a picture of them they were clear coated and looked pretty sharp.

They also probly flashed pretty bright in sunlight, but I wonder how a few coats of acrylic clearcoat would do for preserving the colors?  Wouldn't hafta worry about the glare from just the receiver anyway.

Offline guttercat2000

Case harding
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 05:02:19 AM »
yeah, I thought about that.  
 I read on some other forums about guys doing that to the frames of their single action revolvers.    
 maybe a semi gloss. it would have to be a real hard finish. some spray on clear coats are to soft, you can dent them with your finger nail.    
  I don,t know what types are the hardest, but i am sure some with experience in this area would be able to tell us.  
         thanks for your input,.