Author Topic: Question on handgun scopes  (Read 369 times)

Offline Mauser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Question on handgun scopes
« on: October 12, 2005, 10:09:54 AM »
Does anybody have an opinion on the relative merits of the handgun scopes made by Leupold and Burris?  Specifically I would like to hear what people have to say comparing the two.  I've bought more Leupolds than anything else but am willing to try the Burris for this application for the savings.

Thanks for any insights given.

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 03:26:57 PM »
I don't own any Leupold HANDGUN scopes, but I have used them and have been impressed - they hold up recoil very well and have good optics.

I DO own a Burris 2x-7x-32mm and it is in the same class as the Leupold.  I have it mounted on a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Cassul and I consistently get 1" groups at 50 yards with no problems.  

The only thing that I don't like about the Burris is that,  although it goes up to 7x, at about 4.5x or so the scope starts to "black out" and you really can't see the image unless you bring the scope (and gun) closer to you.  As such, for me, anything above 4.5x is useless.  Still, other than that I have been very please with the scope and highly recommend it.

You may also want to take a look at the Bushnell Elite 3200 handgun scope which has constant eye relief.

Zachary

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 05:52:34 PM »
I am a die hard Leupold guy. All my Rifles wear them, now my handguns either wear red-dots or Bushnell scopes. I have had both the Leupold and Burris handgun scopes and had the same problem with both. Black-out, I don't have that problem with the Bushnell's.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA