Author Topic: Interesting find  (Read 962 times)

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Interesting find
« on: February 28, 2003, 02:31:55 AM »
I picked up an interesting case the other day at the range. A 220 Swift, with the taper blown out, sharp shoulder, in 6.5MM. I've never run across one of these before, anybody know if it has a name? Neat looking thing for sure.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Tony D

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Interesting find
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2003, 05:17:37 AM »
Nobade, I think JDs Dreadnaughts are based on the 220 Swift case.  Might have been one of those.
Tony D ><>

Offline Johnly

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Interesting find
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2003, 07:54:53 PM »
Quote from: Nobade
I picked up an interesting case the other day at the range. A 220 Swift, with the taper blown out, sharp shoulder, in 6.5MM. I've never run across one of these before, anybody know if it has a name? Neat looking thing for sure.

It wasn't mine, but I have a Swift based wildcat in the works. I've been fortunate to pick up a "used" fluted 23" 6 PPC Shilen benchrest barrels with a 1/14 twist. Ought to be a dandy varmit rig shooting 65 gr. VMax or 70 gr Ballistic tips. I have a 6PPC at the moment that shoots quite well, but locating brass for it can be a real pain.

I could punch it out to 243, but what fun would that be. So I decided that a 6mm wildcat based on the 220 swift would be a fun project. Well, that's been done in before, but I wanted to be able to do the projcet without custom dies  or a custom reamer. Guess what, you can make a sweet little cartridge based on the 220 Swift case by short chambering a 240 weatherby reamer. I put a 240 Weatherby sizing die in a 7/8" collet and with a sharp carbide cutter, I made my wildcat sizing die.

Now all I need a 700 SA witha .473 bolt face and I'm in business.
John in Oregon