Author Topic: Concealed Carry ?????  (Read 1080 times)

Offline OnAim

• Trade Count: (0)
Concealed Carry ?????
« on: September 30, 2005, 04:16:10 PM »
Everytime I purchase a firearm, it seems that the Federal System wants to check me out for a few days.  In fact, one time they mistakenly "denied" my purchase.... only to call back the next day and admit the mistake.   My local gun dealer (south carolina) says that if I get a concealed carry permit he will not be required to call the (not so) instant check system.  

Question - do any of you have a permit primarily for this purpose?

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
Concealed Carry ?????
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 04:56:21 PM »
Nope - carry all the time.

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
Concealed Carry ?????
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 10:39:52 PM »
I believe this differs from state to state. In FL, there was a state imposed 5-day waiting period UNLESS you had a CCW then you could make your purchase right on the spot but it still had to first be called in.

In PA, there is no waiting period with or without a CCW but the instant check is still made.

However, there are other advantages to having a CCW.  Actions which otherwise might be felonies and land you a few years in jail, become either misdemeanor  or not even crimes at all with a CCW.

Example: In FL if you walk into a school with a gun, it's a felony but if you do it with a CCW, it's a misdemeanor. Of course, you're likely to have your CCW revoked and never get it back but at least you avoid jail time.

In PA, a loaded gun in the car will land you in jail unless you have a CCW, in which case, it isn't even a crime.

Etc.
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Concealed Carry ?????
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 01:01:52 AM »
I have a CCW for Delaware. When I purchase guns some shops call both State and Federal some only the Federal. It does not matter because it is an instant check, no waiting period.

Sir Knight, all States are different. In Delaware even if you have a CCW you are not to take a gun into a Federal Building or School. you even have to make sure the stores you visit don't have have a sigh stating no canceled guns allowed.

Before anyone listens to an internet lawyer, check you local laws concerning CCW.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline jhm

Concealed Carry ?????
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 03:55:14 AM »
Just a side note on the calling in part some states dont require it if someone has a CCW however the permit is usually good for a 4 yr. period and someone who wasnt a bad guy could have turned into such in that 4 yr. period so it would best if you are in the business of selling guns to follow all the laws and call them in, if the individual has no problems on record no harm done, but its just a good reason to CYOA. :D    JIM

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
Concealed Carry ?????
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 05:14:14 AM »
Redhawk1, that's the point that I was trying to make. In FL, carrying on school property is a felony without a CCW and a misdemeanor with a CCW. In PA, with or without a CCW, it's still a felony.

As you said, it is important to understand your state laws and obey them.
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline OnAim

Concealed Carry ?????
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 06:42:26 AM »
thanks for the feedback folks..... Unfortunately the "instant"  part of the "instant" check always seems to fail me.  Even though I've never been formally denied..... The last gun I purchased was from out-of-state, so even though I had paid and the gun had arrived at the dealer who handled the transfer, I could have been denied.   Then what???

As for the CCW permit.  Would probably be good training, and as you say there are situations where you are covered.  For instance, the two vehicles I own (station wagon and van) do not have trunks.  I believe the law in SC has been interpreted to allow transport in the luggage area, but he law says trunk.  As for internet advise..... I appreciate input....  final determination is up to me (kinda like buyer beware).

Also a good chance to meet some good folks!  Thanks again.

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
Concealed Carry ?????
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 04:10:19 PM »
In SC you can have the gun in glove box or console. The gun can be loaded. The car is basically considered an extension of your home. No mandantory call in if have CCW. The no call in is relatively new even though we have had concealed carry for awhile.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
Concealed Carry ?????
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 08:18:42 AM »
PA's LTCF doesn't substitute a back ground check at the time of purchare of a firearm.   All persons, including law enforcement officers, are required to go through the PICS/NICS after filling out the Fed 4473.

I dont mind the insta-check system whatsa over.  Even though I have been delayed once and denied once (two seperate purchases), but was approved and reversed.    ...no big deal.   It took 2 weeks to get a letter of reversal from the State Police.   ....before that, I would of had to wait 2 weeks just to pick up my pistol after purchase anyways.    Now at least with our Insta-check system, I can walk right out of the store with it if all clears and my money looks good.

Not know SC's law on the matter, I would expect to have to go through the call each time.   ....but you are best off getting the license/permit anyways.   Just the possession of the license may keep your butt out of jail if you just happened to forget about a loaded gun under the seat or in your briefcase while driving around then get stopped and searched.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
Concealed Carry ?????
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 08:36:32 AM »
In Alabama,each time you purchase a firearm of any type they call FBI.Takes only a few minutes.Each time I buy one and they call,the person on the other end always switches to another party for verification.I know cuz each time I ask.I think this is probably a double check so to speak because of my Army duty of the past.On ccw,it takes about a week here;of course if you know the sherrif,it only take a few minutes,as in my case.Here whither you have a ccw or not,you are still called in.But it still only takes a few minutes,so it's not a big deal......Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline jimster

Concealed Carry ?????
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 02:43:00 PM »
In Michigan, a ccw permit allows you to buy a handgun without a permit to purchase, they just call a number right there on the spot in the gun store, and 3 minutes later you walk out with your gun. It is a nice option to skip the trip to the sherif for a permit to purchase, but even this is done quickly with no waiting, unless of course a city (Grand Rapids) makes people wait 3 days, but most places in Michigan do not. Nobody has challenged Grand Rapids though, so they get away with making people who do not have CCW's wait the three days. Most places don't here.
The reason I have a CCW is because I carry all the time though. The benefit is buying handguns without a permit to purchase, they consider the CCW a permit to purchase here. It now lasts for 5 years.

Jimster

Offline Dana C

Concealed Carry ?????
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 02:58:20 PM »
Here in Idaho, CC cards are fairly easy to get provided you pass a background check and have taken a firearms use and saftey course, or are a veteran.  If you have one, which I do, a dealer does not have to call for clearance.  There is not wait here in Idaho for any weapon purchase for anyone who passes the "call".
Dana
45-70, (a couple)
45-90 C Sharps, 2 Puma's 44 Mag. & .357
92' Orginal Winchester & 1894 Marlin 25.20
Model 24 Win. 20G, Eclipse 12G BP,
45-120 Meacham High Wall & 50-100 1872 Rem. Rolling Block
Rem. Custom Shop .375 H&H & .458 Lott Ruger #1