Author Topic: Looking for ultimate authority on large mortar cannons  (Read 629 times)

Offline entsminger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Looking for ultimate authority on large mortar cannons
« on: October 19, 2005, 08:32:54 AM »
Can anyone refer me to someone  who is an authority on 10 and 13 inch 1861 mortar cannons? Even an other forum that might lead to an expert would be helpfull? I'd really like to talk to someone who knows all about how they were made moved, shot and anything else.
  I also am looking to find information about where all origional 1861 13 and 10 inch mortars were situated and what ever became of them?Only half as many as were made still exist?  Did many get melted down after the war , go to foreign countries for other wars or sunk to the bottom of rivers or what?

Scott Springston
  sdakss@aol.com

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Looking for ultimate authority on large mor
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 10:03:29 AM »
Paulson Bros. are the Masters of construction.   If you want to know how to build a big mortar, talk to them.

Start here to find some of the guns.  NATIONAL REGISTER OF SURVIVING CIVIL WAR ARTILLERY(Excerpts)

You might take a look at this book THE BIG GUNS: Civil War Siege, Seacoast and Naval Cannon by Edwin Olmstead, Wayne E. Stark, Spencer C. Tucker for additional information on where to find the big guns.

Offline CrufflerSteve

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 01:04:46 PM »
I assume Scott subscribes to The Artilleryman. The editor of that magazine knows a lot and is helpful.

I also assume Scott has bought Publication No. 41 13 Inch Sea-Coast Mortar, Model 1861 from Antique Ordnance Publishers.

Steve

Offline entsminger

• Avid Poster
really would like to talk in person
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 02:21:40 AM »
Well I've tried to converse with Paulson Brothers by e-mail but they won't respond. I talked briefly with Wayne Stark but then corespondence from him stopped, I hear he passed away? I have the plans for the 10 and 13 inch mortar from Antique Ordnance publishers but it just shows pictures and plans but has no written information on how things were made. I think I've seen the national register of surviving cannon on the internet but that doesn't talk to what happened to all those cannon that supposedly didn't survive?
  I do not however know of the Artilleryman magazine and will have to look it up.
  I really would just like to talk with someone instead of e-mailing or looking in books if possible.

Scott

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 02:37:30 AM »
Pick up the phone and call them.

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 09:00:15 AM »
If you can't get the Paulsons contact  Antique Ordnance Publishers. I know the owner had an 8" poured several years ago. It's not that big a leap to a 10"( They all were poured and bored) The mortars were moved on a "mortar Wagon" discussed a couple of days ago.
   I also know of one an 1841 10" which has been recently machined (17" stock) that had the trunnions (about 6"stock) welded on as we do for the 24pdr's( near 3 g's for the tube)
   You can get some info from the Artillerist Manual by John Gibbon which i think is posted as a reference here. (think there is some on the foundry work there, methods ect. )There is range charts in the posted 1850 manual   (difficult to work with) and on civilwarartillery.com (gibbons has as well)