Author Topic: CCW revolver  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Star1pup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
CCW revolver
« on: November 02, 2005, 01:01:11 PM »
Been having a hard time finding a revolver that I can conceal and that will not pull my pants down with its weight.  I'm a little nervous about safely carrying a semi-auto, but might have to change my mind.

Would also like something that I don't have to mortage the house to buy.

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: CCW revolver
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 01:31:52 PM »
Quote from: Star1pup
Been having a hard time finding a revolver that I can conceal and that will not pull my pants down with its weight.  I'm a little nervous about safely carrying a semi-auto, but might have to change my mind.

Look at Taurus® Mdls 85, 605, 617, or 817.

Offline williamlayton

CCW revolver
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 01:38:03 PM »
Why change your mind--sooner or later you will have both--does not make you a bad person.
S&W makes some nifty, light weight hammerless snubbies in .38-.357.
Walther makes a nice pistol in .380 in the PPk/PPKS that fits a pocket well. I been toten one in pants for 30 years or so, thru all kinds of fashion changes.
An IWB/OWB on a good belt works very well for both a commander or Government.
I think that your fears are not as great as you would Imagine. Try it you will be surprised.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
CCW revolver
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 03:29:45 PM »
Ditto on the Taurus Model 85. Just bought an Ultralite. Very concealable with the factory grips. This is my 3rd Mod. 85 and never a problem with any of them. My daughter still carries one of them. I also have a Bersa Thunder .380 that I carry a lot. Reliable, easy to shoot, and small. Extra magazines are expensive, though.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline rockbilly

CCW revolver
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 04:01:42 PM »
:D Let me recommend either the S&W 60-9, or the S&W 649-5.  I have both, .357s with Crimson Trace grips.  Neither gun is light, but wear well and will do the job if needed.  Firing them at night looks like a flame thrower.  Limiting factor, 5 round cylinders..............

There is really nothing unsafe about a semi-auto, and the peace of mind in having a few extra rounds in the gun just makes for a better day.  The market for a small auto is unlimited.  You can find a gun to meet your needs at the price you want to pay.

What ever you select, let me also recommend a Crimson Trace laser sight grip.  To convince yourself on this, find a friend who has one and do some nite firing with, and without the "red dot."  Once you have shot one with the red dot, you won't be without it.  Do you need the sight?  Well, most shooting incidents take place at night, do you see well enough to see the sights on a pistol, and keep an eye on the target at the same time, do you always have a flash light with you?
 :roll:  :roll:

DELETED

CCW revolver
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 04:26:19 AM »
DELETED

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
CCW revolver
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 04:30:25 AM »
Quote from: cknight98
i think the revolver is the best option for a carry gun, but thats just my opinion.  i have a S&W 642, which is an aluminum frame hammerless .38 spl that is rated to shoot +P's.  it is very light, and carries awesome! i dont go anywhere with her with me...her name is Ethel. recoil isnt to bad even with +P's, and i ended up getting her for about $425 OTD.  i also have a Taurus 85UL, which is the ultralight version with a standard hammer on it.  its is also very nice and carries just as good.  i have about $300 in it OTD.  

between those two, i prefer the S&W.  its a little lighter, and has a better action out of the box.  i have gotten my Taurus slicked up now, but its still not S&W smooth.  try to handle both brands and maybe even try to shoot a few rounds through each and see which one works for you.  if your anywhere in the eastern TN area, i'd let you try both of mine out at a range sometime if you'd like...

Why if you have two such fine weapons would you NOT CCW?

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
CCW revolver
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 09:11:19 AM »
As usual, good advice on this site.  I actually have a Taurus 85, but not the real short barrel or the UL.  I think I'll check into the UL version as the one I have shoots a tight group, but low and to the left.  The low and left can probably be fixed with different ammo or some filing or something.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 09:42:01 AM »

Wear a belt.

I carry all kinds of weapons and never have my pants pulled down. I have a S&W Model66, and Colt defender and  S&W sigma that I carry on different occasions.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 10:48:58 AM »
Quote from: Redhawk1

Wear a belt.

I carry all kinds of weapons and never have my pants pulled down. I have a S&W Model66, and Colt defender and  S&W sigma that I carry on different occasions.  :D

My sediments exactly.   :D   Nothing like a good leather belt to hold up ones pants especially when it’s also holding ones sidearm.   :-D   Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

DELETED

CCW revolver
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2005, 02:36:43 AM »
DELETED

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
CCW revolver
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 10:13:08 AM »
If I were choosing a revolver for CCW

No other American Company has what I want.

GP100 4" 357M Hvy Barrel SS

Or

SP101 3 1/16th BBl"  357M SS

Or

Model SP 101, .357 Magnum Caliber. Double Action Only. Spurless hammer