Author Topic: The divide grows  (Read 720 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
The divide grows
« on: October 14, 2005, 10:13:58 AM »
When are WE in this country going to say enough is enough ?

To stimulate relief efforts,     President Bush suspended portions of the Davis-Bacon Act, which requires that construction workers on federal projects be paid the prevailing local wage. Then the Department of     Homeland Security said it would not penalize employers who hired illegal workers. While the idea behind these actions is to lower costs, cut red tape and accelerate rebuilding, the reality is that contractors will have free rein to hire undocumented workers.

This is from USA TODAY , WE can not secure our borders and now the dept. of homeland sec. says it's ok to just walk right in and take our jobs while your at it .

Thanks from an american construction worker ---NOT

Richard Kohli
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
The divide grows
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 02:52:10 PM »
:shock: An individual from the Dallas area formed a company after the hurricanes to provide clean-up.. He bought the equipment and put his 22 year old son and his friend from school each in charge of a crew.  THe friend is from my area, his father said they have 50-75 illegals working for them.  

This really chaps my cheeks, I know that a large percentage of the residents of New Orleans are welfare scum and do not want an opportunity to get out of their place in life, but still some of them would welcome the opportunity to work and earn a fair wage.  I don't think any federal funds should be paid to an illegal until every American citizen wants work is employed.  :x  :x  :x

Offline williamlayton

The divide grows
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 02:31:06 AM »
Why, oh, why do I find myself agreeing with MUCH of your thought Rockbilly? Not all, lest ya get tha big-head.  :grin:
Looks to me like they got enough help to go around down there.
I have a daughter and a son married to Mexican American, Mexicans, Latinos. Are there any terms that I have not used too be politically correct? Have no concern about it at all and they are good spouses--some might say that they could have used better judgement than marrying into our family though  :oops: .
It is our folks that should come first, lord knows there are some that could use the work, AND, at a fair price.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline magooch

The divide grows
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 04:33:58 AM »
I've wondered for a long time why construction workers should have a special act that guaranties them a particular wage.  Wouldn't it be nice if we all could have a government act that sets our wage artificially.

When I was working to make a living, I belonged to a union and we had to fight like hell to get the wages and benefits we got.  We didn't have the government setting our wages and that's the way it should be.
Swingem

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
The divide grows
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 05:44:17 AM »
MAGOOCH

I am a member of a construction union IBEW and we fight every day for fair wages and working conditions .

The Davis-Bacon act was put in place to make sure that all persons that work on jobs that use state and federal money were paid a fair wage , This applys to non-union and union alike .

WILLIAMLAYTON

I DO NOT have a problem with as you put it Mexicans , Mexican/Americans or Latinos , What i DO have a problem with is anyone coming into this country by sneaking across the border .

I also have a problem with anyone who comes to this country and does not have the common curtesy to bother to learn and speak the language

RICHARD KOHLI - PROUD AMERICAN  :(
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline rockbilly

The divide grows
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 03:48:50 PM »
:D  :D stimplu32.  I agree with you.  I have no beef with any color, race or creed.  I do have a big problem with those that back door the system and slip into America.  I don't care where they come from, I do not think we should open our arm for illegals.  If a person gets into this country legally, I will support them to the fullest extent.

Most folks never think of this, but the American military is guilty of making it easy for an illegal to stay, and rewarding them, by enlisting them in service.  They serve their time in service, then they are often made a citizen of the USA. Nothing wrong with this, but often there is no background check, no means of determining where they are from, and their background.  I feel quite sure some of them have extensive criminal records in their home country.

I work with a young lady that came to America illegally.  She is an exception to most, she is a hard worker, active in off-duty education and wants to become a nurse so she can go back to her homeland and help the people.  Maybe I just condone her because she is very pretty.  Hummm?

As I said, it's not who they are, it's how they got here that bothers me.   We have enough homegrown welfare cases, don't need those that can't speak english as an additional burden on the working tax payer. :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Offline williamlayton

The divide grows
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 03:25:14 AM »
Most of the illegals, lord knows that I am in a place to observe them, have to work at what work they can find at a price below what most can afford to accept.
Folks, it is the ones doing the hiring which are the root. If employers would do the checks they are suposed to do this illegal concern would take care of itself. It is the employers that want this source of cheap labor.
The fact is illegals are here because they can find work, work on the cheap, but it is better than the have opportunity in the nations they come from. The whole thing would work out, IMO, if folks would hold the line.
I find fault with nations, read-Mexico, who are happy these folks are leaving.
I cannot imagine how Mexico has avoided a political coupe or outright revolution. The stranglehold is not understandable.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline williamlayton

The divide grows
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 03:29:38 AM »
I am going to post this just because I really believe it.
If, and that is a BIG if, the USA---read-government--- was so concerned about the middle east, they have to just look South to find a better target for their concern and one that is potentially more volitale to the American economy than the ones they have picked.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
The divide grows
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 03:58:30 AM »
I can understand anyone wanting a better life for themselves and their familys .

I do have a big problem with companys who hire illegal labor just to put more money in their own pocket .

As a union member i see it every day when a contractor bids work at 5 % below scale and pays 50 to 70 % below scale just to exploit the people that do the work .

This it the very reason that Davis-Bacon was started

Richard
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline rockbilly

The divide grows
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 05:43:40 AM »
:roll: I fully understand most illegals are here because they are seeking a better life for them and their familys. I have no problem with that, but do it legally.  That is the only way were can weed out the undesirables, collect taxes and relive Americans of some of the burden of providing for the illegals.

I know a lot of the jobs they take can not be filled by Americans.  But this, in part, is due to our welfare system.  Offer the undesirable jobs to those on welfare and help them out of their rut of setting on their butt with their hand out for more.  :x  :x  :x