Author Topic: CVA Old Ironsides Cannon  (Read 4471 times)

Offline Neil San Diego

• Trade Count: (0)
CVA Old Ironsides Cannon
« on: November 08, 2005, 06:41:55 AM »
Anyone ever have one of these kits?  I just picked up an old kit for my first foray into cannons.  Its a .44 cal, approx 1/10 scale kit.  Has a rifled barrel and says to use patched round ball.  I don't beleive that this kit has been produced for a long time, maybe 20 years?

The patched round ball seems to go against everything I've been reading on here, i.e. "windage" of 1/40 clearance for the ball in the barrel.  Any comments?

Thanks for any help/history/etc.

Neil

Offline uz2busmc

CVA Old Ironsides Cannon
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 07:20:14 AM »
That's the same thing that I thought when I first started reading on here, but the bigger cannons are used differently than the smaller cannons. The small cannons are treated more in terms of a muzzleloading pistol. Example, I also have an old ironside which is .69 cal, manufacturers rec is a .69 cal ball (not .68 ) with .015 lubed patch, this would blow the windage thing out of the water ( no pun intended ), but non-the-less that seems to be the way the mini cannons work.

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
CVA Old Ironsides Cannon
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 11:21:57 AM »
Does it look anything like this?

I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Neil San Diego

CVA Old Ironsides Cannon
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 12:03:28 PM »
pretty much, sorta kinda, a little like...

Exactly like that.   :wink:

Neil

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
CVA Old Ironsides Cannon
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 12:15:55 PM »
Neil S.D. -

WELCOME to the forum!

You've already experienced the (often quick) knowledgeable and friendly folks here.

We'd love to see what you shoot - in action if possible!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
CVA Old Ironsides Cannon
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 01:11:21 PM »
NeilSD, do you have the reloading info for the cannon? Ball size, patch thickness and powder charges.
 If so could you post it here, please.
I only shot mine a few times when I first got it many years ago and don't have the data any more.
If you do shoot yours be way behind and far to the side, it will end up 20 or more feet back somewhere.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Neil San Diego

CVA Old Ironsides Cannon
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 01:37:53 PM »
Jeeper,

Just got the kit yesterday, so its still in pieces.  The instructions mentioned 60 grains of powder with no ball, and 30 grains of powder with a patched ball, IIRC.  I'll check again tonight when I get home   Ball and patch should be .440" round ball with 0.010" to 0.015" patch used in 45 cal muzzleloader rifles.  The box says that it "Takes Standard Patched .440 Round Balls".

Cat Whisperer,

Thanks for the welcome.  This is my first cannon, so it may be a while before there are any pictures.  But for now, take a look at Jeeper's picture, and ya pretty much got it, exactly.  

Neil

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
CVA Old Ironsides Cannon
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 02:26:08 PM »
Thanks for the info. Now maybe I'll shoot it again.

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
CVA Old Ironsides Cannon
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 03:10:10 PM »
Welcome!

I had a couple of these a (ahem) few years ago. One thing to check before firing is that there are no tight spots in the bore. The first one I bought had a tight spot right where the trunnions were pressed in. Got another and it was okay. I ended up reaming the first one to .50 smoothbore.

You will be able to feel any constriction in the bore with a patch on a cleaning jag.

Another thing is that the barrel is coated with a clear lacquer that will have to be removed if you plan to blue the barrel like I did.

Except in the case of using a BP substitute, which would most likely not work without a tightly patched ball, I can see no reason that these guns cannot be fired with unpatched balls.

You will want to restrain the gun. Even a very light (in comparison to a BP firearm) load is going to give significant recoil. Use a platform of plywood on which the carriage can roll smoothly, with 'ropes' (cotton clothesline works well at this scale) that stop the gun after it has rolled a couple of feet. Most of the recoil energy is expended in the first few inches, but if not restrained, the carriage would continue for several feet on a smooth surface. On rough ground it will likely tumble out of control.

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
CVA Old Ironsides Cannon
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 03:41:27 PM »
On rough ground it will likely tumble out of control.

That's an severe understatement.

Offline kappullen

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
CVA Old Ironsides Cannon
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 01:18:07 AM »
Jeeper,
Is your tube mounted up side down in the carriage?
Trunnions look to be above center.
kap

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
CVA Old Ironsides Cannon
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 01:25:28 AM »
Quote from: jeeper1
On rough ground it will likely tumble out of control.

That's an severe understatement.

Shhh! I don't want to scare him off.  :-D

Kap, IIRC the trunnions on these barrels are centered with the boreline.

Offline Neil San Diego

CVA Old Ironsides Cannon
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 05:30:57 AM »
I checked CVA's instructions last night for suggested powder loads.  10 gr starting, and 30 gr max.

Neil

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
CVA Old Ironsides Cannon
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 06:15:36 AM »
The tube is right side up.
The trunions are on center.
Wasn't trying to scare off anyone, I was just stating that you don't want to be directly behind the cannon when shooting it or your shins could suffer.
And thanks for the update on loading data.