Author Topic: 400 corbon  (Read 471 times)

Offline Paladin

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
400 corbon
« on: October 15, 2005, 02:45:45 PM »
anyone tried the 400 corbon round?

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
400 corbon
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 11:50:13 PM »
Tried it, Loved it, Put it into production :grin:

It is a great little power house of a cartridge matching the power of the standard commercial 10MM (not matching the 10MM as it was intended to be loaded or how we load it). Some pistols have a few feeding issues, but all the ones I've seen have all been traced to improper fit and usually a change in the link pin heights and/or polishing the ramps will correct it.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
400 corbon
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 02:28:33 AM »
The 400 Cor-Bon (spit, fizzle, gak, cough, hack, and etc ad infinitum).  

Paladin - I'm sorry Buddy, but even with what Ron Reed says about that round I won't advocate Cor-Bon's cartridges.  The design of the case of that 400 is not the best use of a bottleneck design concept based on a 45 acp case and she begins to fail with the use of heavy bullets where the 10mm and other wildcat cases have succeeded.  If you are planning to use factory loads I would opt for the 10mm over the Cor-Bon round.

I believe, as Larry the Cable Guy says, that there are better designs for a bottlenecked 40 caliber round that you can chamber a 1911 for.  I think the best design I have seen short of my own design (natcherly and ov course) is the 40 Super.  I believe this cartridge case is also based on the 45 acp case but has a longer body and a shorter neck and should shoot the heavier bullets accurately.  My own case neck was only 1/10th of an inch long and I never had a bullet 'deep seat' while chambering.  I also successfully shot silhouette to 200 yds with that cartridge from a 1911 and have taken whitetail and black bear with it - I don't think the Cor-Bon round is up to that.  

I don't know if Ron Reed makes cases in the 40 Super but I know you can purchase cases from Starline.  

I know the 400 has gained a following but there are better choices for 10mms in a 1911.   Just my 2 steenking cents here.  Mikey.

Offline Paladin

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
400 corbon
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 04:05:35 PM »
thank you both for your answers to my question, I was ask about the 400 corbon and didn't have any answers. now I have a little amo, I think the 10 mm is a great round, but for bear I would take the 454 casaul. any way thanks for the in put