Author Topic: Hunting in rain  (Read 692 times)

Offline alsatian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Hunting in rain
« on: October 24, 2005, 07:40:06 AM »
Do telescopic sights still function effectively in the rain or do water droplets get on the lenses, distort the image, and make the scope ineffective?  I'm not talking about the problem of fogging -- moisture getting inside scope and condensing on interior surfaces of lens when temperatures change -- which can be avoided by buying a quality scope that is waterproof and nitrogen charged.  Are you better off using a scope under these conditions or iron sights?  I'm talking about light sprinkles, drizzle, slow rain -- not heavy rain when I understand deer don't move much anyway.

The reason I ask this question is I bought a cheap rifle over the weekend to hunt with when it rains.  I don't take my nice walnut stocked rifle out when it rains and instead stay home from hunting on those days.  The new, cheap rifle has open iron sights.  I'm thinking it may be preferable to keep the iron sights if the main use will be for rainey day hunting.

Comments on effectiveness of scopes on rainy days (less than steady downpour)?

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Hunting in rain
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 08:02:13 AM »
I use scopes and telescopic sights in rain. I try to keep the wapped off but I don't have a problem. I have hunted in down pours and heavy winds.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Hunting in rain
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 08:17:18 AM »
In the rain, where I especially like to hunt, I cover up well with my rain gear, keep the rifle out of the weather, and expose the rig only when it is time to shoot.  Water beads collecting on the lenses will make a shot impossible due to distortion and image abberation.  Keep a soft cloth with you that is dry then wipe the lenses clear.   If it is raining so hard that you can't get the lenses dry, your shot is presumably close at hand, in this case look down the barrel of the rifle; forget the scope.

I have heard, but not used, Rain-X will keep a lens from fogging or collecting rain drops.  I have ridden in one automobile following a windshield Rain-X treatment; it worked very well.  No need for wipers and none were used.  

I doubt that I will try Rain-X on the expensive and coated lenses of my rifle scope.  I am not about to ruin an investment because I prefer to hunt when it is wet.

Offline iiibbb

• Contributor
Hunting in rain
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 08:31:43 AM »
This year I bought a 2" sun shade for the front of the scope.  That ought to keep the water off the objective.  Usually keep the gun nessled close in the rain so I don't get anything on the ocular.  I haven't taken a shot in the rain yet, but with care I was able to keep water off the lenses well enough for a shot last year if I had to.

I suspect if you wanted to just some flexible plastic and a rubber band could make pretty decent shades. instead of buying the pricy sunshade.

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
Hunting in rain
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 09:18:40 AM »
I use the pop up scope covers.   They also keep the dust off in arid S. TX.   I can pop them open in about the time it takes to take the safety off.   Plus my new Bushnell Elite scope has the Rainguard addition.   Haven't had it in the rain though.    I worry more about my binocs in the rain than I do my scope costing me a deer.

pepaw

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Hunting in rain
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 09:30:01 AM »
Quote from: PEPAW
I use the pop up scope covers.   They also keep the dust off in arid S. TX.   I can pop them open in about the time it takes to take the safety off.   Plus my new Bushnell Elite scope has the Rainguard addition.   Haven't had it in the rain though.    I worry more about my binocs in the rain than I do my scope costing me a deer.

pepaw

I forgot to mention, I also use the Butler creek pop up scope covers. :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Dave in WV

Hunting in rain
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 03:08:14 PM »
Using Butler Creek flip up lens covers work well but you need to keep them closed until you are going to shoot. Otherwise the outside of the lens will fog when you close the caps again. Bushnell's Rain Guard does work quite well in helping with water on the lens.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Savage .250

Hunting in rain
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 03:48:00 AM »
Butler Creek Flip Up`s..........works for me and looks like alot of others use them as well.  

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline beemanbeme

Hunting in rain
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 06:04:16 AM »
One word about Rain-X.  I tried it while I lived in Okla.  It worked like advertised but it also seemed to attract dust, of which we had an abundance in Okla.  When I tried to remove the dust, and the Rain-X, it took a lot of elbow grease to get the job done.